Prospect Info: Bedard Topic 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Just my opinion, but I don't think its too early to sign guys this coming summer. After the Hawks are punished with Celebrini, they will be barred from a lottery pick the next 3 years anyways. The tank will be ending. Start building it up slowly. You don't have to wait until you are a cup contender to sign players. Think of it like the Brian Campbell signing, which came 2 years before Hossa.
I agree, the reality is a lot of our prospects won’t reach their ceilings and Davidsons shredded our cupboards bare in pursuit of Bedard. Would be nice to have a sure fire top line forward here to show the young guns the ropes and help Bedard transition

Reactions: Sarava

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Agreed.

Hawks should be willing to do massive overpays on one or two year deals to get Bedard some real linemates.

Now is not the time for long term signings.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. The problem I have is we don’t have anyone in the cupboard who is a bonafide first line winger next year. No offense to Kurashev and Foligno, but Bedard needs real help.

The names I mentioned are as legit as they come. It’s not signing a player just to sign them, it’s an investment in Bedard, showing that they will get him help. I don’t want to blow all of our cap in free agency next year, but we have plenty to make a huge splash and solidify our first line for a long time.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Bedard is incredible. This offseason, you have to get him real help. If Nylander or Reinhart makes it to free agency, you have to pursue them heavily. Do not go into another season hoping a random might step up.

I'd entertain Nylander depending on the ask and what the cap rises to, but no on Reinhart.

Now is not the time to pull an Oilers, and prematurely unload all over this thing just cause you have a crown jewel to build around.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I would trust the process rather than jump the gun. I think letting the young guys settle into their place like Nazar with Bedard will be more beneficial in the long run allowing them to create their own culture, as was or is davidson's MO

something about nylander and the leafs locker room reminds me of a more toxic version of whatever the issues were with a toews/kane lead locker room(re: Vlasic talking about the shift once they were gone.)

I think the ducks did this well for example, where it's apparent mctavish zegras and others are meshed well together
Can you elaborate more on this is there a link?

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Can you elaborate more on this is there a link?
Yeah, it's in some laz article. It might be this quote I'm recalling:

For Vlasic, who played in 21 games over the last two seasons, it’s a completely different experience than he had in those first two stints, when he joined an aging, veteran team midseason. He’d look around the room and see future Hall of Famers like Toews and Kane. He’d be paired with an All-Star like Seth Jones. Everyone was so much older and had so much more experience. And while those veterans reached out and did what they could to make the few young players passing through feel at home, there’s just a generational divide that can be difficult to bridge.​
Vlasic said he was worried about speaking up because he didn’t want to come across as a cocky, know-it-all kid. He said he just had to “suck it up,” “do as they say,” and “try not to stick out too much.” It was all self-imposed, borne out of his own natural insecurities as a raw kid among highly accomplished men, but that doesn’t make the feeling any less real.​
“I definitely didn’t feel too comfortable right when I came out of college and signed (in the spring of 2022),” Vlasic said. “Just being in the locker room was weird, I was the youngest guy by far; there weren’t too many guys around my age. I didn’t really feel like I necessarily fit in. But now, with a bunch of young guys, it’s fun. I can talk a little more and be myself, which is always nice.”​
Indeed, Vlasic is frequently found sitting back in his locker stall after a practice or morning skate these days, relaxed and comfortable, chatting up fellow rookies and veterans alike, discussing drills and cracking jokes. The room is as much as his as it is anybody else’s. Part of that is having a little experience. But much of it is the fact that there’s safety in numbers.​

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
I think he should be eyeing for the 40’s. If this PP was worth a damn I think we would seriously be talking about 50+.
Who ever is in charge of the PP should be gone. It is horrible, players don't rotate at all.

Also the PP is were you should load up on the young skilled kids, not a lot of two-way play need, and if we give up a couple more SHG so be it. Replace Jones right f***ing now with KK. Riechel should also be up on unit 1.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
We’ll have to agree to disagree. The problem I have is we don’t have anyone in the cupboard who is a bonafide first line winger next year. No offense to Kurashev and Foligno, but Bedard needs real help.

The names I mentioned are as legit as they come. It’s not signing a player just to sign them, it’s an investment in Bedard, showing that they will get him help. I don’t want to blow all of our cap in free agency next year, but we have plenty to make a huge splash and solidify our first line for a long time.
It's just not the time.

You don't want to be in a position where you have young guys you can't afford to keep, and big money UFAs who might fall off by the time the Hawks are legit contenders.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Also the PP is were you should load up on the young skilled kids, not a lot of two-way play need, and if we give up a couple more SHG so be it. Replace Jones right f***ing now with KK. Riechel should also be up on unit 1.
Shiny new toy effect.

Hall was a 1st overall pick, Jones was a 4th overall pick, Murphy was a 20th overall pick, Tinordi was a 22nd overall pick, Perry was a 28th overall pick, Foligno was a 28th overall pick, Dickinson was a 29th overall pick. Donato, Raddysh and Katchouk were 2nd round picks. T. Johnson was playing powerplay minutes on a Stanley Cup Final winner.

The "young skilled kids" that aren't Bedard can earn their way onto PP1 like everyone else. Producing something in their PP2 time would be a good start to making their case.

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
Shiny new toy effect.

Hall was a 1st overall pick, Jones was a 4th overall pick, Murphy was a 20th overall pick, Tinordi was a 22nd overall pick, Perry was a 28th overall pick, Foligno was a 28th overall pick, Dickinson was a 29th overall pick. Donato, Raddysh and Katchouk were 2nd round picks. T. Johnson was playing powerplay minutes on a Stanley Cup Final winner.

The "young skilled kids" that aren't Bedard can earn their way onto PP1 like everyone else. Producing something in their PP2 time would be a good start to making their case.
Has nothing to do with Shiny new ttoy. I also don't give a crap when anyone was drafted. Hall can be on the PP. Jones sucks on the PP and kills the PP by himself 50% of the time. Jones either throws the puck at net (with no screen) or skates into a corner and looses the puck.

Also I don't care were those young kids were drafted. I say let them play and gain confidence on the PP if they are skilled. PP are meant for skilled guysnot two way guys (especially on a rebuild). You have time and space on the PP, whi h works for skilled guys. KK has already looking like our most skilled guy on D. Let he grow on the PP. Riechel was looking good last year, now he looks lost at center, maybe rebuild a little confidence. I am fine with Perry on the PP as a net presence.

A perfect example of letting a skilled you guy gain confidence on a PP, is Cooley in AZ. He has struggled at times with size and speed at 5 on 5 when he doesn't get space (as mush you kids do at times), yet he has been a big factor on the PP. Because there is space and he is skilled and creates with space on the PP.

Anyway our PP sucks most guys stand around and don't cyle through positions (could be a coach problem). But some guys out there I has seen enough and they sure don't play like they deserve to be on the PP. Let's maybe you know try a different look.

Reactions: shakes the clown

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Has nothing to do with Shiny new ttoy. I also don't give a crap when anyone was drafted. Hall can be on the PP. Jones sucks on the PP and kills the PP by himself 50% of the time. Jones either throws the puck at net (with no screen) or skates into a corner and looses the puck.

Also I don't care were those young kids were drafted. I say let them play and gain confidence on the PP if they are skilled. PP are meant for skilled guysnot two way guys (especially on a rebuild). You have time and space on the PP, whi h works for skilled guys. KK has already looking like our most skilled guy on D. Let he grow on the PP. Riechel was looking good last year, now he looks lost at center, maybe rebuild a little confidence. I am fine with Perry on the PP as a net presence.

A perfect example of letting a skilled you guy gain confidence on a PP, is Cooley in AZ. He has struggled at times with size and speed at 5 on 5 when he doesn't get space (as mush you kids do at times), yet he has been a big factor on the PP. Because there is space and he is skilled and creates with space on the PP.

Anyway our PP sucks most guys stand around and don't cyle through positions (could be a coach problem). But some guys out there I has seen enough and they sure don't play like they deserve to be on the PP. Let's maybe you know try a different look.
Cooley is the AZ closest Bedard comparable. Anyways, PP2 is a perfectly fine place to develop their skills. Nobody needs to be handed time before they earn it. Jones will be the whipping boy but like it or not he’s here at $9.5 million for the foreseeable future and Korchinski has certainly NOT shown he is better or even that he necessarily will be. I bring up the draft status because people get in love with young guys and their fan-professed “ceilings” but it’s the nhl, everyone was for the most part a darling prospect. Until someone earns a bigger role you have to be cautious that they won’t just be the next gen version of the mediocre vets on a team like ours at the moment. Hawks are giving the youngsters ample opportunity. They don’t need the whole kingdom before they’ve shown they are ready lest they grow complacent.

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
Cooley is the AZ closest Bedard comparable. Anyways, PP2 is a perfectly fine place to develop their skills. Nobody needs to be handed time before they earn it. Jones will be the whipping boy but like it or not he’s here at $9.5 million for the foreseeable future and Korchinski has certainly NOT shown he is better or even that he necessarily will be. I bring up the draft status because people get in love with young guys and their fan-professed “ceilings” but it’s the nhl, everyone was for the most part a darling prospect. Until someone earns a bigger role you have to be cautious that they won’t just be the next gen version of the mediocre vets on a team like ours at the moment. Hawks are giving the youngsters ample opportunity. They don’t need the whole kingdom before they’ve shown they are ready lest they grow complacent.
I don't care what Jones makes, and am not making him a whipping boy. He is just isn't good on the PP. KK has been far better on the PP in a lot less mins. KK outside of Bedard has been on of the few guys that carries the blue line and can allow time for the PP to set. Have you not watched Jones on the PP this year? He has been brutal at carrying it into the zone, it is always dump and chase or skate straight ahead and loose the puck. He also doesn't like to cycle without the puck. So if we are going say who has earned it in actual performance in real games on the PP, KK has vastly out played Jones. Richardson like his vets to much at times (especially some grinders), he is basically handed Jones PP1 times based of previous status not actual game play.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Shiny new toy effect.

PP1 f***ing sucks. When the powerplay is 29th in the league its not really about earning a spot, the coach should be switching things up to get it going.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I would think the decision on whether or not to sign someone longer term the next offseason should come down to who is available. You can’t just say wait and keep signing lower paid vets to short deals if a stud player becomes available who could help the team for years to come. All depends on what is available next offseason.

Reactions: Paul Allen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad