Prospect Info: Bedard Topic 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
It means that they wouldn't be playing on the same line if they both stick at center here. What do you think it means?

Reichel wants to play at center, so the Hawks are keeping him there for a long tryout. They also want Bedard at center, so the two of them are, for now, playing on separate lines.
Well, long term that Richardson doesn’t play them at center.

Last edited:

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019

Thoughts on Bedard being a below average skater?

Thoughts on Bedard having an average shot speed?

Red flags potentially?

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Red flags potentially?

For one, the data for this is probably not all that reliable, and is likely highly flawed. The technology is pretty much brand new.

For two, you aren't reading the data properly for skating. There's nothing in there that says "he's a below average skater."

The speed data points can easily be explained by his IQ/hockey sense, and his knack for being in proper positioning most of the time. If you're always where you need to be, you're not chasing, which means you're not pushing to skate at top speed as often, which means you're also expending less energy. In other words, it suggests that he knows when he needs to kick it into high gear, and when he doesn't, and is generally in a position to where he doesn't need to spend a lot of time at top speeds.

He's also regularly being double-teamed, and jammed up everywhere he goes on the ice. When you're the one guy on a team who can single-handedly beat another team, they're going to key on you. This would explain why he hasn't had a faster top speed recorded. Wait until he gets a slightly contested breakaway or something that would provide a more accurate number for his top speed.

As far as his shot, there's nothing wrong with an 83mph wrist shot(which is pretty much all he uses). I think I've seen one clapper in the games I've watched, and he didn't get all of it. Remember he's only 18. He's going to get stronger. That shot speed will improve by quite a bit still. And it's not his shot speed that is his strong point. It's his quick release, and ability to change up the angles of release very quickly.

You're reading way too much into these fancy stats.

Last edited:

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Getting caught up over flawed analytical data is pretty common for a certain poster... I also see elite acceleration (and speed burst) in that graphic too. Skating isn't all about top speed.

In the athletic article, Rasmus Kupari owns the top speed this season. But for frequencies tabs for 22 plus mph and 20 plus mph speed bursts you see the MacKinnons and McDavids of the world. What @ChiHawks10 said is pretty much as spot on as you can get.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Getting caught up over flawed analytical data is pretty common for a certain poster... I also see elite acceleration (and speed burst) in that graphic too. Skating isn't all about top speed.

In the athletic article, Rasmus Kupari owns the top speed this season. But for frequencies tabs for 22 plus mph and 20 plus mph speed bursts you see the MacKinnons and McDavids of the world. What @ChiHawks10 said is pretty much as spot on as you can get.
Ok, thanks. I wanted to bring it up for discussion, that's all.

Wish I would've phrased my comments in more of a discussion way rather than making definitive statements.

Like this is what I see, what do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: BHawk21

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Don't need stats to see he isn't exactly a burner. Though, I am surprised he isn't a little stronger on his skates given his build.

Kid's going to be just fine. I'm sure skating will be a top priority for him next summer. Seems like he has that MJ-like drive and determination.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013

Red flags potentially?

My thought are its idiotic, who cares. His wrist shot is absolutely lethal. And was Gretzky a blazing skater with blazing shot speed? How about Kane? The kid is a big time hockey player, you can skate like the wind and crank pucks 100 plus miles an hour and suck at hockey.

Reactions: Hakoon

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Even if he sucked analytically, which it's way too early to say, who cares? He'd hardly be the first 1st overall by the Hawks who the analytics community didn't care for.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
Everything about Bedard's skating except top speed is very good. Like Kane, he frequently slows the play down and uses his quickness to create chances. I am a little puzzled about his balance because he's always been strong on his skates.

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
My thought are its idiotic, who cares. His wrist shot is absolutely lethal. And was Gretzky a blazing skater with blazing shot speed? How about Kane? The kid is a big time hockey player, you can skate like the wind and crank pucks 100 plus miles an hour and suck at hockey.
This is a thread about Bedard, why you talking about Andreas Athanasiou?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad