Prospect Info: Bedard Topic 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Everybody in the Off-Season: It's important not to rush prospects so they can develop properly

One Month Into the Season: I don't understand why all the kids that aren't drinking age aren't playing 1st Line/PP1, what an abysmal coaching job!

Relax and be patient. If the rebuild fails, we won't go "well it was all because Kevin Korchinski wasn't playing on the first powerplay on November 12, 2023..."

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Everybody in the Off-Season: It's important not to rush prospects so they can develop properly

One Month Into the Season: I don't understand why all the kids that aren't drinking age aren't playing 1st Line/PP1, what an abysmal coaching job!

Relax and be patient. If the rebuild fails, we won't go "well it was all because Kevin Korchinski wasn't playing on the first powerplay on November 12, 2023..."

You're missing the point. Stop making excuses for poor coaching.

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019

Not really sure how giving KK more PP opportunity on a team he's already made constitutes rushing him, especially since his offensive game is his clear strength at this point in his career. It isn't like the debate over whether he should be in the NHL or not as there's no secret alternative power play he gets to QB instead when Jones is on PP1 and PP1 gets ~75% of the ice time.

And no need to overstate the argument with talks of a failed rebuild or abysmal coaching jobs, the only point is that Jones isn't doing great and it may be time to see if the unit clicks better with KK

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Not really sure how giving KK more PP opportunity on a team he's already made constitutes rushing him, especially since his offensive game is his clear strength at this point in his career. It isn't like the debate over whether he should be in the NHL or not as there's no secret alternative power play he gets to QB instead when Jones is on PP1 and PP1 gets ~75% of the ice time.

And no need to overstate the argument with talks of a failed rebuild or abysmal coaching jobs, the only point is that Jones isn't doing great and it may be time to see if the unit clicks better with KK
Last page you were talking about reps.

You have a guy trying to settle into the NHL and fit in on 5on5 and make solid decisions. Do you want to give them more reps on practice and icetime focused on that 5on5 play or spend extra time working on 1st unit powerplay adding the pressure to prepare and work on that?

Reactions: d rake

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
Better than using WHL points or the "watch the game where I judge one guy as a promising teenager and one guy as an overpaid contract that the last GM made an ill-advised trade to chase playoffs hyper-biased eye test" or whatever else you're using.

Manipulate? The point is Jones actually does have an NHL track record. It's not HHOF stuff here, but it's a track record all the same.

OK, he falls all the way down to 22nd. Oh no, what a bum!

A lifetime? He's 29. Lol, that's still a prime age for a defensemen. Yes, the Hawks suck, somehow Jones is either immune from the effects of that or somehow the entire root cause of it? I honestly can't tell with some of you "Jones must be the whipping boy for everything" guys.

Never said Jones was "one of the best PP QBs"
The point is 7 years is a joke and you know it and you know why you picked 7 years. Why because you had to make sure you included his one great season, which was a statistic outlier, as he has never come close to that again. A person not trying to manipulate data would never chose 7 years of data randomly.They would yous maybe 5 years, or this decade, last season, or since he has been a Hawk.

Pat Kane is a FA right now, do you think a GM will look at date from 7 years ago to determine the kinda of production he likely to produce this year? No.

Anyway you are pretty much alone on thinking Jones deserves to be on PP1. Pretty much everyone on this boards want him off PP1 as he has been brutal. And the recent data supports that as well.

Let's take a look at some relevant data, since you want data and not the eye test.
Current year.
48th in PPP, 13th in PPTOI
Ya I know small sample size.

Add Last Season (22/23-YTD)
43th in PPP, 14th in PPTOI

How about with the Hawks. (21/22-YTD)
32nd in PPP, 6th in PPTOI
Ya I know it's the Hawks not Jones

How about last 5 seasons (19/20-YTD)
33rd in PPP, 14th in PPTOI
And at 5 years it gets less relevant.

As you can all of this date is far more relevant to the current Jones and much better then the random 7 year data (which we all know you didn't mean to manipulate and just picked the number 7 out of a hat).And guess what it backs up the eye test that everyone on these boards are talking, he just isn't good as a PPQB1. So definitely don't see a good enough track record that say he deserves to be on the PP1.

Yeah, it doesn't look like he has the puck skills or creativity for that style of PP. It seems he would be better off having someone set him up for one timers.
Yep. Basically he just stands flat footed most the time at his point.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Last page you were talking about reps.

You have a guy trying to settle into the NHL and fit in on 5on5 and make solid decisions. Do you want to give them more reps on practice and icetime focused on that 5on5 play or spend extra time working on 1st unit powerplay adding the pressure to prepare and work on that?
I'm not convinced moving him to PP1 would affect his 5 on 5 acclimation all that much. He already practices and prepares with PP2 and if I'm not mistaken at Blackhawks practices they typically rotate PP1 and PP2 in the same drills rather than having PP2 off working on other stuff during PP1 reps etc. so that's not really a consideration imo. If you think he can't handle the extra few minutes of ice time per game I guess that's one thing. Not sure I agree though.

Reactions: Pez68

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Watched him yesterday against Florida, what a talent waiting to be unlocked…,

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
You're missing the point. Stop making excuses for poor coaching.
100%. You put your players in position to succeed and you owe it to the rest of the roster to switch stuff up when it isn't working.

Its not about stressing about developing or rushing KK. Its about Seth Jones is bad on the powerplay so give your 19 year old dynamic defenseman a chance to run the top unit.

Mintyukov runs the PP in Anaheim.

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
How long do we think it will be until the rest of the world realizes the truth that we here already know: Bedard is the best Connor

Over/under: end of regular season

Edit: Literally the instant I posted this McDavid got an assist, and 2 minutes later scored a goal lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheOne

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I mentioned this before but...

IIRC, after he wasn't a Hawk there were rumors/statements that Keith had PP time as a line item in his contract. I don't know if that's true but if it was...

I could speculate that after many terribad shifts now and then on the PP from Seth that he might be back as the QB every time because it's in his deal?

If that's not a thing then disregard such speculation, but it is odd.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I mentioned this before but...

IIRC, after he wasn't a Hawk there were rumors/statements that Keith had PP time as a line item in his contract. I don't know if that's true but if it was...

I could speculate that after many terribad shifts now and then on the PP from Seth that he might be back as the QB every time because it's in his deal?

If that's not a thing then disregard such speculation, but it is odd.
It was a handshake thing not something written in ink.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I had an impression that Bedard does a lot of his damage earlier in games and other than the Team Canada vs Slovakia goal I couldn't remember lots of important goals on his part (big third period go ahead goal/OT goal) so I went through all 71 of his regular season goals last year in Regina.

-3 third period go ahead goals with one being with 18 minutes left in the period.
-1(!) OT goal

Obviously goals are goals but just thought it was kind of interesting. Kid has a knack for scoring early in games (no third period goals yet in NHL either).

Reactions: wladyslaw

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Luke hasn't really shown me anything that says he is anything more than a development coach. Not saying he can't be more but he hasn't exactly lit it on fire either. The Bedard line getting smoked by Point all night and we still chased that matchup for some reason.
I don’t mind the line in general, but you have Bedard playing with a fourth liner and a second/third liner. It’s not a real first line so it’s gonna get caved plenty. But it goes back to Luke being very slow to make adjustments which I agree with you. (Reichel at center, PP1 etc.)

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
Luke hasn't really shown me anything that says he is anything more than a development coach. Not saying he can't be more but he hasn't exactly lit it on fire either. The Bedard line getting smoked by Point all night and we still chased that matchup for some reason.
I agree with this somewhat, but it's hard to make a real assessment of him until we ice a team with some actual talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad