Bedard rookie predictions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
how is this kid generational if most of you think he's not even going to put up 60 in his rookie year?

I say he pushes larmers rookie hawks record with at least 43 goals
and he'll either be even or below with assists
45G 40A

Bobby Orr the best defender of all time, "only" had 41 pts as a rookie in 61 games and 34 the next season in 46 games. It wasn't until his 4th season where he exploded into the Phenom he was.

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
32 goals
39 assists
71 points
+/- -18
20 PIM

22 primary assists
17 secondary assists
2 goals taken back (both for GA)
21 goals scored at home
11 goals scored on the road
1 Hat trick

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think if he can get to PPG in his rookie season with this lineup it will be a massive accomplishment. He's going to be heavily targeted though so he might find it hard to find the time and space he needs.

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
I have a hard time seeing him not score easily 30 plus goals. I predict 40 plus goals and 30 to 50 assists (harder to guess)
Remember a 18 year old Skinner scored 30 plus in goals and assists in a lower scoring Environment.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Lots of sky-high expectations.

Has anyone besides McDavid lived up to the hype in the last decade? More?

Every year it's the same thing, "this is the one"!!

Every year, around Christmas, we get a "is X a bust??"

If he goes 30/30, I think it would be considered a successful season.

I mean, there have been 5 players since 2000 that have scored more than 72 points in their rookie season. Two of them were Sid and Ovi in the same year.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Lots of sky-high expectations.

Has anyone besides McDavid lived up to the hype in the last decade? More?

Every year it's the same thing, "this is the one"!!

Every year, around Christmas, we get a "is X a bust??"

If he goes 30/30, I think it would be considered a successful season.

I mean, there have been 5 players since 2000 that have scored more than 72 points in their rookie season. Two of them were Sid and Ovi in the same year.
Has anybody since McDavid truly been touted and performed like a generational talent? He's not your average 1st round pick. He's technically performed at a higher level than McDavid as far as Juniors career is concerned. There's a good reason why people expect big numbers from him.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I called it with Hughes when he was breaking records with the USNTDP, he'll be a star but I think it's going to take him a season or two to adjust. Hughes was probably a more extreme case but I think Bedard will be similar. He doesn't have the size or a specific gamebreaking physical attribute to rely on (e.g., McDavid's skating) while he adjusts to the league.

20 goals-45 points

Reactions: Neil Racki

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Has anybody since McDavid truly been touted and performed like a generational talent? He's not your average 1st round pick. He's technically performed at a higher level than McDavid as far as Juniors career is concerned. There's a good reason why people expect big numbers from him.

I think he'll be an outstanding player, eventually.

And yes, we hear about the next Great One almost every year.

In the last 20 years, there has been one.

Do you think he'll be better than McDavid, since he performed at a "higher level" in Junior?

Very, very, unlikely.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I think he'll be an outstanding player, eventually.

And yes, we hear about the next Great One almost every year.

In the last 20 years, there has been one.

Do you think he'll be better than McDavid, since he performed at a "higher level" in Junior?

Very, very, unlikely.
Nobody has been touted as highly as Bedard since McDavid. His WHL numbers are Crosby/McDavid level and he absolutely dominated in the WJC at a level even McDavid didn't. I don't know if he'll peak quite as high as McDavid but he'll be better than anybody else in the league imo (around 135 if I had to guess). He has a generational shot, extremely high hockey IQ, great agility/positioning and great playmaking. He's that good. Players on his level usually hit the ground running. Crosby did, McDavid did, and Bedard has a good chance to do the same. He doesn't have to be McDavid to at least produce at a ppg. Even Barzal did that.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Is this actually true?

McDavid scored higher ppg in both his Draft -1 and Draft -2 seasons. Bedard outscored McDavid in WJC, but McDavid dominated more/longer in his final junior playoffs (49 in 20gp vs 20 in 7gp).

To me it's a saw off at best.

Plus I think the way Bedard dominated vs McDavid is worth considering.

Bedard finds quiet ice and is a better shooter... will that translate in a much more disciplined league? Eventually yes, but recognizing those patterns to find that ice at NHL level may require some study.

On the flip side, so much of McDavid's game came out of generational skating... his game has matured a lot since then, but he burst on the scene so quickly in part because he didn't need to think his way past guys, he could just skate faster.

I think 55-75 points this year is a huge success, maybe 90 if he's healthy the whole season. After that, yeah... I think your top end of 135 is probably achievable, I just think it will take him a little more time to get there... so much of his game is cerebral and he's going to be defended in ways he hasn't experienced to date.

Reactions: blundluntman

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
there's one generational player in the NHL today his name is Connor McDavid, Bedard won't change that. Also good luck to the idiots paying $500 for Bedard Young Guns. :laugh:
8f2c7edd-9287-4650-a005-a6b56be6f4fc_text[1].gif

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I called it with Hughes when he was breaking records with the USNTDP, he'll be a star but I think it's going to take him a season or two to adjust. Hughes was probably a more extreme case but I think Bedard will be similar. He doesn't have the size or a specific gamebreaking physical attribute to rely on (e.g., McDavid's skating) while he adjusts to the league.

20 goals-45 points

Agreed. McDavid dominated from the get-go because of his skating, but it took him a few years to learn how to dominate off the cycle. I think Bedard gets 50ish points but that will sky rocket once he adapts to the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad