Bedard rookie predictions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Only two players in NHL history have scored 100 points at 18 years old. It'd be cool if he does it, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Scoring is up. It is def possible. I do think he scores a ton on the PP and 5 on 5 he will struggle at times. He won't be able to do what he does in the minors a lot of the time and will have to use his teammates. The problem is Chicago doesn't have much right now.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It has nothing to do with scoring, it has to do with amount of shots on net and goalies save %.

Bedard's shooting % was 17% in the WHL, He managed to shoot 6.3 shot per game... over a regular 82 games season that would equal to 516 shots a season.. that's better than most of Ovechkin's seasons. Even with 516 shots next season at .910 goalie sv% league wide that would equal to 47 goals.

Considering Centers shoot alot less than wingers on avg, 250 shots for Bedard is super realistic. He's going to score around 23 goals and since Chicago wont be leading too many games, opportunities for Empty netters are going to be minimal.

If they play him on the wing as a sniper and make him shoot like ovechkin than its a different story.

Yeah I just think he will easily top 30 goals by the end of the season. No way is 23 goals a realistic expectation for a player of this caliber.

Reactions: DrDorrian MD

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
Kane was (this past season) a much better player than Bedard is at this time.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Bedard breaks the 30 goal mark and 65 points.

He projects to be a superstar, but undersized players sometimes take time to pick up steam in the NHL.

And some superstars do as well, like Mackinnon did.
Mackinnon was boarder line considered a bust in regular season with glipses of greatness like in the playoffs. I do remember him having somme pretty average years and some thought he'd be a 60 to 80 point player.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Only two players in NHL history have scored 100 points at 18 years old. It'd be cool if he does it, but I wouldn't bet on it.
well if there ever were a third one to do it, wouldn't this be the guy?

I think only Oil and Pens fans would truly understand that an 18 year old rookie can step in and dominate right away. If Bedard is like McDavid/Crosby, he'll show it. I think he'll be a top 10 player immediately

Reactions: authentic

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I would say he has if you include the wjc. If not, then you're right, it's a wash. I think Bedard's playoffs are stunted a bit because his team was significantly worse than the Erie Otters roster McDavid played with. He performed very well with what he had but it's hard to say whether he would've maintained that level since they were out in the first round.

It may be true that McDavid's skating helps him create offense in a more reliable fashion than Bedard's approach but I don't think Bedard's weapons will take too long to translate. Crosby isn't the skater McDavid is but his skills translated very quickly to the league. Bedard is somewhat similar to Crosby as far as physique goes so it may be the same for him. He has very good positioning, extremely high iq/anticipation.

I do have pretty high expectations so I think 90 is in play if he stays healthy but there are definitely reasonable questions that will have to be answered if he's going to do so. My thing is that generational players usually hit the ground running so if he's on the same level as a crosby or mcdavid, it's very possible. But we'll just have to see how things play out.

Reasonable take... and style wise Crosby is the better comparable. I personally don't see him quite on Crosby's level, but it's not at all unreasonable to see it either way. Should be fun to watch.

Reactions: blundluntman

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Like 50 pts, everyone will say he's a bust and then he will score 120 in his second season

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
More NHL ready (Shot and especially getting open space) than Crosby and McDavid were at 18.

I'll say 45 goals and 27 assists.

Low on assists because not alot of other good scorers on the Hawks.
More NHL ready than Crosby? Crosby was the best 18 year old in league history. His shot is the only area where Bedard is superior. And if he only scores 72 points he's obviously not more NHL ready.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
He is kind of alone in Chicago this team is total crap i think he'll put 65-75 pts if he play 82 games

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Will be interesting to see if Bedard can become the highest scoring rookie in 17 years by beating Malkin’s 85 point season from 2007.

Based on this thread, it seems like it will be close.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
It's insulting that with all the cap space Chicago has, the best winger Davidson can get for him is Taylor Hall?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad