Bedard rookie predictions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I think he's an Austin Matthews type goal scorer rather than a superstar playmaker like Crosby and McDavid.

35 goals, 19 assists for 54 points.

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
40-60 points.

He'll enjoy the usual learning curve of smaller players and find out that playing against men who've spent years fine tuning their bodies aren't going to just let him have his way.
Haha. Do people really not understand body mass at all. Bedard is not small. He is short. Massive difference. Go watch Bedard at the combine he is ripped compared to most kids. At 5'10 he is 185 pounds. Go watch the pull up video of him at the combine(14 reps). Beniers just won the Calder (who is not in the same skill level as Bedard) at 6'2 178. Small players are like Pat Kane, who at 18 was 5'9 160.

1688756520502.png

1688756622753.png

• Haha
Reactions: hawksrule and Xirik

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'll go with 80 pts, 50 goals 30 A

Not much support is gonna do that to a player

Edit Scratch that: If he's as good as advertised, 60 goals 50assists for a round 110pts

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Bedard is a total unit already, I agree with Abo9 and give him 50/30/80

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
Lots of sky-high expectations.

Has anyone besides McDavid lived up to the hype in the last decade? More?

Every year it's the same thing, "this is the one"!!

Every year, around Christmas, we get a "is X a bust??"

If he goes 30/30, I think it would be considered a successful season.

I mean, there have been 5 players since 2000 that have scored more than 72 points in their rookie season. Two of them were Sid and Ovi in the same year.
No only some idiots on HF say this is the one every year. Actual NHL scouts call Bedard the one. The only two prospects in the last 20 years that scouts labeled the same as Bedard were Crosby and McDavid. Go look at their Draft years in JR/tournaments. Again you see Bedard/Crosby/McDavid all in the same level and nobody else.

Bedard just dominanted the WHL as a 17 year old. He scored 71 goals next closest was 50 (who played 11 more games then Bedard). He led with 143 points next closest was 107 (also in 11 more games). No other 17 year olds have dominanted at JR level other then Crosby/McDavid in the last 20 years old. Then to top that off he goes and breaks Jagr's 33 year old record at a WJC-20 as a 17 year old with 23 points.

So again I ask who are these kids that were labeled "the next ones" in their draft by NHL scouts and also had generational production as a 17 year old?

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
I called it with Hughes when he was breaking records with the USNTDP, he'll be a star but I think it's going to take him a season or two to adjust. Hughes was probably a more extreme case but I think Bedard will be similar. He doesn't have the size or a specific gamebreaking physical attribute to rely on (e.g., McDavid's skating) while he adjusts to the league.

20 goals-45 points
Massive difference between Hughes and Bedard. Bedard has about 20 pounds of mass vs Hughes.

While Hughes dominanted in a league of under 18, Bedard dominanted in a under 20. It was easy to tell the Hughes would need time the moment he played at WJC-20 against older stronger kids. He had 4 points in 4 games (no goals). Bedard dominanted in the same setting.

Also Bedard has gamebreaking attributes. Both his shot and hockey IQ our amazing.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Massive difference between Hughes and Bedard. Bedard has about 20 pounds of mass vs Hughes.

While Hughes dominanted in a league of under 18, Bedard dominanted in a under 20. It was easy to tell the Hughes would need time the moment he played at WJC-20 against older stronger kids. He had 4 points in 4 games (no goals). Bedard dominanted in the same setting.

Also Bedard has gamebreaking attributes. Both his shot and hockey IQ our amazing.

Finally someone with an older forum join date that is making some sense. They'll see soon enough (and act like they knew all along).

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Wasn't there a guy on the TSN broadcast on deadline day that said he could score 70+ goals this season? Wild lol. The hype is insane

I'm gonna guess:

32 goals, 33 assists

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

The USNTDP plays against USHL teams which are the same age range as major junior, and against NCAA teams, which are older.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Fantilli certainly looks like he hit puberty before age 10 and is now a grizzled vet, so I wouldn’t rule this out completely lol.

I don’t expect Fantilli to come close to Bedard at their respective peaks though.

I don't see what will hold Bedard back right off the bat though. He's clearly much stronger than people give him credit for and will probably be in even better condition by the time the season starts. His shot will probably be better, he'll probably be faster, etc., He doesn't have a single weakness in his game at all. The only thing you could really point to that would stop him from being a Crosby/McDavid immediately is his skating isn't on their level, but his shot is also 10x better so we'll have to see how it plays out. 40 goals and around 90 points should be do-able for him even on the Chicago Blackhawks. Anything less is seriously underrating him as a player.

I think he's an Austin Matthews type goal scorer rather than a superstar playmaker like Crosby and McDavid.

35 goals, 19 assists for 54 points.

Not even close to accurate. His vision and passing are right up there with them and certainly far beyond Matthews.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
34 goals 44 assists. Likely misses some time (Chicago has literally 0 incentive to play him with any sort of injury)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Crosby and Ovechkin both hit a 100pts+ in their rookie seasons. McDavid hit 100 exactly in his first full season.

I think with the recent increase in scoring the 100 mark isn't out of the question. Or at least it wouldn't be if Bedard really belongs among those names.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't know but since many call him generational talent with names like McDavid and Crosby, he'll have his work cut out for him to live up to those careers. Much of it will come down who the team ices around him.

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
The USNTDP plays against USHL teams which are the same age range as major junior, and against NCAA teams, which are older.
Sorry I kinda jumbled 2 different ideas into one. I was mainly referring to the the comment about Hughes breaking NTDP records/scoring title. To break/lead the NTDP scoring race or records all your competition is under 18. We Bedard has kids that are overagers competing for the scoring title.

Also I was referring to the WHL being far harder league to play in. The WHL has stud overagers. The USHL has very little to no overage high NHL picks. And yes they play college teams, but those are expedition games for the college team. Me being a Michigan fan, just compare how Michigan played (compete level/effort) vs US team compared to say when they play Minnesota. Night and day difference.

Anyway I watched a ton of both kids in their draft years. Bedard is the clear better prospect from a talent and development level. As I mentioned just watch and compare the 2 when playing in the same level at the WJC-20. Bedard absolutely dominated. Hughes while you could see the flashes of skill, struggled against the speed/size of the stud overagers. Basically as a prospect Hughes in this draft would be closer to Will Smith then to Bedard as a prospect.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Sorry I kinda jumbled 2 different ideas into one. I was mainly referring to the the comment about Hughes breaking NTDP records/scoring title. To break/lead the NTDP scoring race or records all your competition is under 18. We Bedard has kids that are overagers competing for the scoring title.

Also I was referring to the WHL being far harder league to play in. The WHL has stud overagers. The USHL has very little to no overage high NHL picks. And yes they play college teams, but those are expedition games for the college team. Me being a Michigan fan, just compare how Michigan played (compete level/effort) vs US team compared to say when they play Minnesota. Night and day difference.

Anyway I watched a ton of both kids in their draft years. Bedard is the clear better prospect from a talent and development level. As I mentioned just watch and compare the 2 when playing in the same level at the WJC-20. Bedard absolutely dominated. Hughes while you could see the flashes of skill, struggled against the speed/size of the stud overagers. Basically as a prospect Hughes in this draft would be closer to Will Smith then to Bedard as a prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad