Barrie Colts 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
As an early deal, yes. It would be a higher price for McCoy. I think they have the luxury of waiting out the market though.They will be able to see what transpires, short assets accordingly and figure out a Plan B and Plan C if necessary. But, ultimately, they need to keep assets for elite players and not spend them on marginal upgrades. As you mentioned, if York and Wigle have been there a while and are part of the organization, you cannot trade/waive them for a marginal upgrade. It really needs to be more significant. No disrespect to the twins but from an OA perspective, they are probably above average but for contending teams they’d be average at best, especially considering the landscape right now.

The wolves currently have the most picks in the league, and Papineau is a bit of a dink. If selling; Musty goes, then OA D if someone is desperate enough to pay his price. The wolves D will be young, so a couple of OA D might be good.

Last edited:

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Just got back from the Blue and White game.

Emmerton impressed offensively, he seems like he has a lot of offensive IQ and sees the ice well. He has a lot of confidence with the puck on his stick. He made some tough defensive mistakes but I think those would improve with experience.

Didn't notice Barton much but I think that is probably his game, steady puck mover with sound D.

Both of these guys have the right shot we need, hopefully they are quick studies. Barton signed today, emmerton not signed yet.

Vader was a good puck mover on the back hand as well but he's a lefty, it will be tough for him to crack a spot. Handsor also looked good, he had limited time last season.

Up front, I thought Harmon looked interesting. He is really small but he seems smart with the puck, he has good speed and also seems like he's good at absorbing contact, would like to see him play an exhibition. Dubowsky and Goodfellow were also fairly noticeable.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Noticed Bode Stewart hadn't participated in camp so far. I'd imagine some sort of injury but haven't heard anything.

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Beau has not been cleared for contact yet, should be soon. Marty mentioned it in an interview. He had both shoulders surgically repaired so it has been a long process.
Thanks, wow that's a long recovery. Hopefully he gets his stride back quickly, I would like to see him get a shot at a spot on the WJHC team.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Correct on Akey, I believe Marty said end of September roughly for him. As for Stewart I heard minor injury. Won't be too long.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Any idea why morey and j newton aren't on pre season roster
No idea and the colts have signed goodfellow and black today which is kinda weird cause now they have about 20 forwards on the roster I know they’ll cut that down to 14 or so by opening night but I don’t see how those guys listed above could have any real chance making the roster opening night with how many options they already have up front

Reactions: dirty12

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
Took in the Colts preseason game tonight. Black and McCormick definitely not ready for the pace, but played hard. Moses was the best forward on the ice for both teams. Made about 8 or 9 really high IQ plays, scored a nice goal and absolutely destroyed one of the Oshawa players behind the net. He is poised to take the next step and looked really confident out there. Vaughan is a really smart player and is an excellent skater. York did not have a great game, neither did Tiller. I was really impressed by Evan Passmore a RD. 6-3 with a long reach and excellent mobility and poise.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Took in the Colts preseason game tonight. Black and McCormick definitely not ready for the pace, but played hard. Moses was the best forward on the ice for both teams. Made about 8 or 9 really high IQ plays, scored a nice goal and absolutely destroyed one of the Oshawa players behind the net. He is poised to take the next step and looked really confident out there. Vaughan is a really smart player and is an excellent skater. York did not have a great game, neither did Tiller. I was really impressed by Evan Passmore a RD. 6-3 with a long reach and excellent mobility and poise.
Lots to look forward to with this team Beaudoin and Patterson looked great as they should. Barton had a tough one tonight same with York and a few other younger guys. I definitely see Wigle over taking York for a OA spot tho. Bertucci looked smooth most the night. Gonna need another D man tho to play top 4 mins if this team is gonna be a top team in the league come playoff time

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Pretty much spot on to what my buddy relayed to me

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Lots to look forward to with this team Beaudoin and Patterson looked great as they should. Barton had a tough one tonight same with York and a few other younger guys. I definitely see Wigle over taking York for a OA spot tho. Bertucci looked smooth most the night. Gonna need another D man tho to play top 4 mins if this team is gonna be a top team in the league come playoff time
Their top 4 will be
Bertucci-Akey
Aitcheson-Eliasson

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Their top 4 will be
Bertucci-Akey
Aitcheson-Eliasson
That's the word, but there's a lot of time between now and January for things to change. And the Sens will need to sign Eliasson before Williamson can cook up a deal.
Will Eliasson play in the USHL for a half season; or stay in Sveden?

Last edited:

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
On D I thought Barton looked overwhelmed, he will need to be eased in. I thought Vader had a great game. He defended hard and is smart with the puck. Handsor looks like he's put on a lot of muscle, he was throwing his weight around big time at the beginning of the game. Tiller didn't look great. Bertucci played the right side he is really smooth. Passmore needs to be 3rd pairing. He could insulate Handsor, they could play a shut down role.

That Moses hit was huge. Vaughan is going to need some time and experience defensively but offensively he looked really great. I really hope they are able to hang on to him...

Danford looked mean out there for the shwa. I thought 96 had a great game for them as well. I also thought their import d looked confident. 13 also looked good for his first game. They have some good pieces and are going to be tough to handle.

Reactions: dirty12

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
So I guess the colts have waived Morey and Jaiden Newton. The Morey one was expected just too many forwards around but Newton was a second rounder last year to waive him in his 17 year old year is a little strange wonder if something happened off ice or just wanted to be traded and no buyers were available or what

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
So I guess the colts have waived Morey and Jaiden Newton. The Morey one was expected just too many forwards around but Newton was a second rounder last year to waive him in his 17 year old year is a little strange wonder if something happened off ice or just wanted to be traded and no buyers were available or what
Newton is on pre season roster

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021
You have kike 14 players signed that are better than him

You have 19 fowards signed

He's better than all but Wigle Jelsma Joidon Gardineer Stewart Beaudoin Patterson and Hemming. So hes top 9. But he doesn't fit the player profile of Williamson, which is 6 feet plus. Some of his recent signees won't be in the ohl long. They just aren't that good.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
He's better than all but Wigle Jelsma Joidon Gardineer Stewart Beaudoin Patterson and Hemming. So hes top 9. But he doesn't fit the player profile of Williamson, which is 6 feet plus. Some of his recent signees won't be in the ohl long. They just aren't that good.
Add York and Moses being better. You can argue Lowe and Grisolia are probably close and significantly more experienced. Jaiden Newton is younger and has more upside. Nolan Newton is a year younger and had a great camp, Dubowsky 2 years younger. I don't mind Pickell but he's an 2005 and I'm assuming Marty would rather have that spot taken up by a younger player that will be a longer term option and could develop into more.

Reactions: Blake101

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Props!

Should've kept Pickell who's now signed with Kingston
He’s just on a tryout

Reactions: frontsfan67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad