Barrie Colts 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Looks like the colts loaded up on Dallas Prospects lol. Not sure if it is all coincidental but after signing Hemming they've added both Bertucci & Gardiner
The Barrie Stars will be great this year. Now they just need to swing a trade with Brampton and acquire Angus MacDonell lol

Reactions: OHLColtsPuck

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Patrik Kerkola has agreed terms of contract extension with Kalpa.
This means that Kerkola is not reporting to Barrie Colts.
That's too bad for the colts, maybe next season makes more sense for him - wait for the draft to avoid the CHL/NHL player transfer agreement.

Reactions: puck11

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
That's too bad for the colts, maybe next season makes more sense for him - wait for the draft to avoid the CHL/NHL player transfer agreement.
Makes u wonder if the colts try to trade for an import because if you’re all in this year I think having 2 imports is a must. I would also say it’s probably pretty likely that they try to get an OA D man now that they traded for gardiner and rumours of Barlow are true it doesn’t make sense to have your 1 OA player play 3rd line

Reactions: puck11

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Makes u wonder if the colts try to trade for an import because if you’re all in this year I think having 2 imports is a must. I would also say it’s probably pretty likely that they try to get an OA D man now that they traded for gardiner and rumours of Barlow are true it doesn’t make sense to have your 1 OA player play 3rd line
Sale part 2?? lol

Also have heard jodoin is- and I quote.. “a locker room cancer” so I can’t see him being there even more because of that.

what if they upgraded jodoin with Gazizov from London?(assuming rumours are true that he may come back)

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Sale part 2?? lol

Also have heard jodoin is- and I quote.. “a locker room cancer” so I can’t see him being there even more because of that.

what if they upgraded jodoin with Gazizov from London?(assuming rumours are true that he may come back)
Honestly I would think it’ll be York get a spot to play second line with Beaudoin and Patterson again that line was great last year. Then obviously I see Jelsma playing wing with Gardiner and Hemming. I don’t see Jodoin make it. Possibly start the year with Wigle on the 3rd line but I’d rather move him or waive him and let Parker Vaughan get a chance to show what he’s got with Moses and Stewart. That’s why I see a guy like McCoy in Sudbury if they decide to sell a good fit

Reactions: frontsfan67

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Patrik Kerkola has agreed terms of contract extension with Kalpa.
This means that Kerkola is not reporting to Barrie Colts.
He was never coming to Barrie this year. He's too good to be a backup or even 1B goalie in his draft year. Barrie took him as a throw away pick in case he didn't get a good offer overseas. But now they'll go trade for a diff import and release his rights

puck11

Aug 27, 2024
Sale part 2?? lol

Hmmm🤔 been around that locker room a few years and never heard that about Jodoin…actually a quiet guy -hard to say which OA would be out, guess we will see I’m assuming we won’t see much until all other camps are done(AHL/NHL)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Hmmm🤔 been around that locker room a few years and never heard that about Jodoin…actually a quiet guy -hard to say which OA would be out, guess we will see I’m assuming we won’t see much until all other camps are done(AHL/NHL)

I really think Jodoin is OA calibre; but with RWs Henning, Patterson, Moses, Vaughn there is no suitable place for Jodoin as Wigle is better suited as the 3rd line centre.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Just what I have heard from my barrie guy that is around the players. I don’t know much about jodoin personally but I got told that.

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Looks like there are going to be some tough decisions coming out of Camp. I am sure they will wait until all players are returned from NHL camps before making major decisions.

The Colts are a little weak depth wise on D but have a some bottom end forward depth. Might be a good idea to move some of the forward depth for some experienced D. Outside of Akey, Bertucci & Aitcheson, there is not a lot of OHL experience.

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
Looks like there are going to be some tough decisions coming out of Camp. I am sure they will wait until all players are returned from NHL camps before making major decisions.

The Colts are a little weak depth wise on D but have a some bottom end forward depth. Might be a good idea to move some of the forward depth for some experienced D. Outside of Akey, Bertucci & Aitcheson, there is not a lot of OHL experience.
You forgot Tiller, almost 150 games in OHL. But, I do agree they need another experienced D, not somebody flashy or offensive minded. A solid stay at home defence man would suffice.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023

I would think they would want another right handed shot defender if Barlow trade were to fall through I’ve always liked the idea of trading for Gibson in the Soo. But if they still plan on getting Barlow eventually trading for someone a little cheaper possibly even for a OA spot would be McCoy in Sudbury if they sell. Or if your thinking a little cheaper Bronson Ride or Wyatt Kennedy in north bay could be potentially options for a shut down guy

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I would think they would want another right handed shot defender if Barlow trade were to fall through I’ve always liked the idea of trading for Gibson in the Soo. But if they still plan on getting Barlow eventually trading for someone a little cheaper possibly even for a OA spot would be McCoy in Sudbury if they sell. Or if your thinking a little cheaper Bronson Ride or Wyatt Kennedy in north bay could be potentially options for a shut down guy

There are not a lot of ‘05s on the NB roster. Ride and Kennedy are probably expected to be the top pair for NB in their OA season.
I think Lowe and Wigle for LeBlanc and LeBlanc would be a good trade for both teams, though it is also possible Lowe is part of the Barlow discussion.

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
You forgot Tiller, almost 150 games in OHL. But, I do agree they need another experienced D, not somebody flashy or offensive minded. A solid stay at home defence man would suffice.
Tiller is fine but I wish he were a righty. I didn't forget about him haha. If he were a righty I would have included him.

Yes I agree they need a top 4 right handed defenceman. Passmore is fine for the third pairing. Maybe Gaudet-Barton steps up? I'm sure he'll get an opportunity to show what he has through the first part of the season while Akey & Bertucci are away at camp.

Looking forward to the Blue and White Game tonight and our first exhibition game on Saturday. Can't believe it's time to drop the puck again already

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
There are not a lot of ‘05s on the NB roster. Ride and Kennedy are probably expected to be the top pair for NB in their OA season.
I think Lowe and Wigle for LeBlanc and LeBlanc would be a good trade for both teams, though it is also possible Lowe is part of the Barlow discussion.
A good team isn't using 2 OAs on the LeBlanc's. They're not good enough imo

Reactions: OMG67

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Honestly I’d say Jelsma and York are locks for OA spots so I think getting an OA d man is a must especially if u think Vaughan can handle 3rd line center right away or if not Morey or Grisolia could fill in that spot. I highly doubt the colts would want 3 OA forwards on the roster the whole year

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think Oshawa is a good team with probably lesser OAs in D’Amato & Torrance.

If necessary, they would likely upgrade those two provided better options were available that they could afford and that provide enough of an increase in production that justifies the cost.

You need to remember that a team would need to trade and pay for the Leblanc’s. Oshawa already has their tow players. So, Oshawa could keep those two and use extra assets on more impactful 19 year olds.

The Leblanc’s are very serviceable players. If they were on a competitive team this year, I could see them remaining on that team but as trade acquisitions on a competitive team, I am not too sure. I think they’d need to be broken up on separate teams.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Honestly I’d say Jelsma and York are locks for OA spots so I think getting an OA d man is a must especially if u think Vaughan can handle 3rd line center right away or if not Morey or Grisolia could fill in that spot. I highly doubt the colts would want 3 OA forwards on the roster the whole year

Depends if one or two OAs are traded for; Wigle could be kept over York because he would a pretty good 3rd line centre, and was very good in last years playoff

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If necessary, they would likely upgrade those two provided better options were available that they could afford and that provide enough of an increase in production that justifies the cost.

You need to remember that a team would need to trade and pay for the Leblanc’s. Oshawa already has their tow players. So, Oshawa could keep those two and use extra assets on more impactful 19 year olds.

The Leblanc’s are very serviceable players. If they were on a competitive team this year, I could see them remaining on that team but as trade acquisitions on a competitive team, I am not too sure. I think they’d need to be broken up on separate teams.

I originally suggested the twins to Barrie for Wigle and (Lowe if not part of Barlow discussion). I think the twins would be really good for the colts; Jacob is a fine all around #4 RD on a contender, and Andrew’s ability to cycle would fit great on the 3rd line imo.

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Wigle is a beast and could play shut down C all season long, playing against other teams top C or can be used on the wing. He was very effective last season in against the Shwa in the playoffs, led the team in scoring. I agree, I think York is replaceable. I know he has some goal scoring touch and good chemistry with Beaudoin & Patterson but I think there are other players that could step in there...Moses, Stewart, Wigle, even Morey who looked pretty good with an expanded role in the playoffs. Maybe Jelsma moves to the wing and they go Jelsma-Gardiner-Hemming then Stewart-Beaudoin-Patterson.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out. The team looks good but it looks like it needs a bit of help, especially on D to make them contenders

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I originally suggested the twins to Barrie for Wigle and (Lowe if not part of Barlow discussion). I think the twins would be really good for the colts; Jacob is a fine all around #4 RD on a contender, and Andrew’s ability to cycle would fit great on the 3rd line imo.

Like anything else it all comes down to opportunity cost. For example, if the Colts need to use a ton of assets on Barlow, then they obviously cannot dump much remaining assets on two elite OA’s. So, in that scenario, the twins would make some sense. But, the alternative would be to get two elite OA’s that are superior to the twins and maybe not need to trade Vaughn in a deal for Barlow or another elite 19 year old.

Everything has its own balance so there are definitely ways to justify that type of move for sure. However, I am not sure adding both makes a lot of sense. As mentioned here, bth Wigle and York are solid player in and around the same calibre as the twins. It would make more sense only adding Jacob. I’m not sure the added cost of Andrew to replace either of York or Wigle fits. So, if they aren’t’ willing to be separated, it may make it tough to get them placed on a contending team.

Reactions: WorkHardEveryShift

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Like anything else it all comes down to opportunity cost. For example, if the Colts need to use a ton of assets on Barlow, then they obviously cannot dump much remaining assets on two elite OA’s. So, in that scenario, the twins would make some sense. But, the alternative would be to get two elite OA’s that are superior to the twins and maybe not need to trade Vaughn in a deal for Barlow or another elite 19 year old.

Everything has its own balance so there are definitely ways to justify that type of move for sure. However, I am not sure adding both makes a lot of sense. As mentioned here, bth Wigle and York are solid player in and around the same calibre as the twins. It would make more sense only adding Jacob. I’m not sure the added cost of Andrew to replace either of York or Wigle fits. So, if they aren’t’ willing to be separated, it may make it tough to get them placed on a contending team.
While not ideal, maybe the colts use Bertucci at RD on 2nd pairing. Its not always easy to trade OAs that have been with the team for years, so Wigle & York may not move.
I do have no doubt A.LeBlanc would be better on the colts’ 3rd line than York though.
And I did factor in the discount for taking the set of twins. There is one more desirable OA RD than J.LeBlanc that I am aware of, it is not D’Amato or K.Smith. It might take a silly price to get McCoy out of Sudbury.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
While not ideal, maybe the colts use Bertucci at RD on 2nd pairing. Its not always easy to trade OAs that have been with the team for years, so Wigle & York may not move.
I do have no doubt A.LeBlanc would be better on the colts’ 3rd line than York though.
And I did factor in the discount for taking the set of twins. There is one more desirable OA RD than J.LeBlanc that I am aware of, it is not D’Amato or K.Smith. It might take a silly price to get McCoy out of Sudbury.

As an early deal, yes. It would be a higher price for McCoy. I think they have the luxury of waiting out the market though.They will be able to see what transpires, short assets accordingly and figure out a Plan B and Plan C if necessary. But, ultimately, they need to keep assets for elite players and not spend them on marginal upgrades. As you mentioned, if York and Wigle have been there a while and are part of the organization, you cannot trade/waive them for a marginal upgrade. It really needs to be more significant. No disrespect to the twins but from an OA perspective, they are probably above average but for contending teams they’d be average at best, especially considering the landscape right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad