Barrie Colts 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
You have kike 14 players signed that are better than him

You have 19 fowards signed
Already the Colts have so many forwards for the bottom 6 role that I imagine they will move out a couple of veterans or young players at the end of camp for defensive depth or picks. Nolan Newton (2006), Chris Grisolia (2005), Carter Lowe (2006) and others are being pushed by young players for the final spots and might be coveted by rebuilding teams. Grisolia is a versatile centre/winger with limited offence, Lowe has good hands and can skate well for a power forward and Nolan Newton is small, but really skilled and could flourish if he was given a greater role on a weaker team.

Reactions: Section5Petes

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Already the Colts have so many forwards for the bottom 6 role that I imagine they will move out a couple of veterans or young players at the end of camp for defensive depth or picks. Nolan Newton (2006), Chris Grisolia (2005), Carter Lowe (2006) and others are being pushed by young players for the final spots and might be coveted by rebuilding teams. Grisolia is a versatile centre/winger with limited offence, Lowe has good hands and can skate well for a power forward and Nolan Newton is small, but really skilled and could flourish if he was given a greater role on a weaker team.
Props!

Whoppy52

Mar 6, 2013
Add York and Moses being better. You can argue Lowe and Grisolia are probably close and significantly more experienced. Jaiden Newton is younger and has more upside. Nolan Newton is a year younger and had a great camp, Dubowsky 2 years younger. I don't mind Pickell but he's an 2005 and I'm assuming Marty would rather have that spot taken up by a younger player that will be a longer term option and could develop into more.
How does Dubowsky look? He's a tough player?

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
How does Dubowsky look? He's a tough player?
Physical player could be a 4th liner or a 13th forward this year. Didn’t have a great game vs Oshawa Saturday he’ll have to have a better game tonight if he wants to get a spot on the roster this year

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
After 2 exhibition games, Barrie is looking strong as expected. Last night’s score was not indicative of the game, as Barrie had 49 shots, dominated play for most of the game and were “Georged” for the first two periods. Hemming is the real deal, was very smooth on the ice and played the point on the power play. Bertucci controlled play from the back end and Gardiner centred a line with Jelsma and Hemming which will be their 1A line. Again, another person I sat with commented on how smooth and impressive Passmore was. 6-3 with a long reach, smooth skating and is very physical. Moses and Passmore I believe will be top 3 round picks in the 2025 draft as they have taken steps forward from last season.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
After 2 exhibition games, Barrie is looking strong as expected. Last night’s score was not indicative of the game, as Barrie had 49 shots, dominated play for most of the game and were “Georged” for the first two periods. Hemming is the real deal, was very smooth on the ice and played the point on the power play. Bertucci controlled play from the back end and Gardiner centred a line with Jelsma and Hemming which will be their 1A line. Again, another person I sat with commented on how smooth and impressive Passmore was. 6-3 with a long reach, smooth skating and is very physical. Moses and Passmore I believe will be top 3 round picks in the 2025 draft as they have taken steps forward from last season.
how’s mark sidiel doing these days?

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Passmore is a late birthday so he’ll be 18 on draft night and I don’t think he’ll be drafted cause he won’t get enough playing time to showcase enough for scouts possibly a 6th-7th rounder but no shot top 3 rounds. Aitchenson on the other hand could very well go late first early second and Moses like u said top 3 rounds

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I will bet every penny I own I have that passmore will not be a top 3 pick. Where can I get that action?

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
I agree...Passmore will be useful 3rd pairing 5-7 depth D-man this season. I think he will be most effective when things ramp up in the playoffs. That said I'll be surprised if he gets drafted this season...Outside chance at later rounds. I guess time will tell.

Teague Vader has really impressed me. I know only exhibition but he makes moving Brauti easier to swallow. His skating is really strong, allowing him to gap up and challenge his man in the N-zone and he's got a good active stick defensively. He's confident with the puck on his stick. He made a few minor mistakes last night which hopefully he'll learn from. He looks ready to be an every day D-man for sure.

Was happy to see Barrie product Crawford have a good game last night. Hope he has a great season and works his way into an NHL draft pick.

Reactions: JetsColts13

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I agree...Passmore will be useful 3rd pairing 5-7 depth D-man this season. I think he will be most effective when things ramp up in the playoffs. That said I'll be surprised if he gets drafted this season...Outside chance at later rounds. I guess time will tell.

Teague Vader has really impressed me. I know only exhibition but he makes moving Brauti easier to swallow. His skating is really strong, allowing him to gap up and challenge his man in the N-zone and he's got a good active stick defensively. He's confident with the puck on his stick. He made a few minor mistakes last night which hopefully he'll learn from. He looks ready to be an every day D-man for sure.

Was happy to see Barrie product Crawford have a good game last night. Hope he has a great season and works his way into an NHL draft pick.
shocked they passed on Crawford for newton. props to diesel!

Reactions: Millpond

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
shocked they passed on Crawford for newton.
Yes that stings a bit haha, but Newton still has promise. Crawford does look like he's going to have a great season. His skating has improved, he's added strength and he's tenacious on the puck. He burried Bertucci on the PP...wrong decision as Bertucci made a nice play to keep the puck alive and the colts ended up scoring later but that still shows his strength.

Also both Goodfellow and Jaswal looked good in their first pre-season action. Goodfellow threw a huge hit in the first. He needs to get better on the breakout, making sure pucks get out, maybe he hasn't played much wing in the past...it will come. He has good speed for his size and is certainly ready to grind it out in the O-zone corners.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023

I liked Vaders game aswell the past few games but unfortunately I don’t see much of a spot for him on this team unless there’s injuries which is very possible or Handsor gets dealt in a deal where a D man doesn’t come back in a trade. I feel the colts will probably want to add someone on the point to play top 4 mins tho whether that’s a OA or a import will see

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
I liked Vaders game aswell the past few games but unfortunately I don’t see much of a spot for him on this team unless there’s injuries which is very possible or Handsor gets dealt in a deal where a D man doesn’t come back in a trade. I feel the colts will probably want to add someone on the point to play top 4 mins tho whether that’s a OA or a import will see
Yes, tough roster to crack this season but I think they'll keep him around anyway and they'll cycle through Handsor, Passmore, Tiller, Vader. They'll get a good look at him anyway, while Bertucci & Akey are away at pro camps.

horner

May 22, 2007
A Toronto Maple Leafs fan
Anyone tell me how Danford played.
Thanks

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yes that stings a bit haha, but Newton still has promise. Crawford does look like he's going to have a great season. His skating has improved, he's added strength and he's tenacious on the puck. He burried Bertucci on the PP...wrong decision as Bertucci made a nice play to keep the puck alive and the colts ended up scoring later but that still shows his strength.

Also both Goodfellow and Jaswal looked good in their first pre-season action. Goodfellow threw a huge hit in the first. He needs to get better on the breakout, making sure pucks get out, maybe he hasn't played much wing in the past...it will come. He has good speed for his size and is certainly ready to grind it out in the O-zone corners.
I’m just poking the bear a bit due to the vandenberg guy saying how flawless siedel and the colts draft picks are

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
I’m just poking the bear a bit due to the vandenberg guy saying how flawless siedel and the colts draft picks are
I knew that. But it still stings a bit haha.
A Toronto Maple Leafs fan
Anyone tell me how Danford played.
Thanks
In the game the Shwa played vs. the Colts Danord played a strong game of simple hockey, physical and aggressive. He is what the leafs need a big strong right handed shot with a bit of a mean streak. But he won't be ready for at least a few years in my opinion. I'd compare his style to Luke Schenn-Lite, needs to be simple with the puck and play a strong physical style of hockey. We'll see where he's at by the end of this season, I don't think he'll be around for any regular season games but I could be wrong...we'll see.

McCue for O/S didn't look all that great last night. He was a leafs 7th rounder this past draft. He is big and strong, a decent skater for his size but I didn't see much IQ or physicality. Might be that he was just going through the motions in a pre-season game though so I wouldn't chalk too much up on the one viewing.

horner

May 22, 2007
I knew that. But it still stings a bit haha.

In the game the Shwa played vs. the Colts Danord played a strong game of simple hockey, physical and aggressive. He is what the leafs need a big strong right handed shot with a bit of a mean streak. But he won't be ready for at least a few years in my opinion. I'd compare his style to Luke Schenn-Lite, needs to be simple with the puck and play a strong physical style of hockey. We'll see where he's at by the end of this season, I don't think he'll be around for any regular season games but I could be wrong...we'll see.

McCue for O/S didn't look all that great last night. He was a leafs 7th rounder this past draft. He is big and strong, a decent skater for his size but I didn't see much IQ or physicality. Might be that he was just going through the motions in a pre-season game though so I wouldn't chalk too much up on the one viewing.
Hoping McCue turn out like his brother Max hits everything in site fights very physical

Hope Danford gets a couple of preseason games . I agree exactly what the Leafs needed.

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
They are not flawless, but they are the only CHL franchise to have a 1st or 2nd round NHL pick the past 7 years (5 1st round, 2 2nd round). Aitcheson could be 8 in a row in 2025, and if you go back to Aaron Ekblad (2014), it is 10 of the last 11 years.
2024- Cole Beaudoin
2023- Beau Akey
2022- Hunter Haight
2021- Brandt Clarke
2020- Tyson Foerster
2019- Ryan Suzuki
2018- Andrei Svechnikov

2016-Givani Smith
2015-Rasmus Andersson, Mackenzie Blackwood
2014-Aaron Ekblad, Brendan Lemieux

Last edited:

Ad