Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-sign Cale Makar to 6-Year Deal

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
My friend , you and i are expecting the same numbers for Landeskog as a fair deal . But i'm just supper worried that he will look elsewhere for more money . It's taking way too much time to get it done :(

I'm not really worried. He either wants to be here or he doesn't. In the end, I think he's going to want to stay but if he goes elsewhere all the more power to him.

Every single year, people exaggerate as to how much players are going to end up signing for. It's almost always usually for less than people think. Just a few days ago, people were suggesting $10.5M for Makar.

I think Sakic and co. have a plan in case he stays and in case he doesn't. It would be irresponsible if they didn't. IF he moves on, you have to think that the Avs would make a serious push for Jack Eichel and then move Kadri out which could very well make the Avs an better team in the long-run as long as they add some quality bottom-6 players. I know that Landeskog is a fan favourite but everyone knows what a fair deal is and if he doesn't and feels slighted because he's not making as much as Rantanen then he can leave and maximize his value. There are a LOT of worse places to play in the NHL than Denver.

Reactions: dahrougem2

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah Cale is pretty much on a market value rate, and only gave the Avs 1 year of UFA. Him signing at 9 is more comparable to Landeskog signing at 7-7.5M

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Please explain

Everyone uses defenceman as comparables for Makar’s contract, but you can’t really do that, because none have really been close to where he’s at coming off two years in the league.

I think the Matthews contract probably would’ve been fair value. There’s no doubt that Makar left money on the table.

Landeskog should come in a little over Hall’s deal, so a small discount would bring him back to that with term.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Tampa Bay getting swept in the first round after the best regular season in modern history and following it up with back to back cups shows that windows aren’t as precise as fans seem to think.

Exactly what I think, opening of a windows is not a precise thing, that’s why telling our window will last 2 more years, and I don’t care what happens after those 2 years is the thing to do to close a window that wasn’t even quite open. As we can see with Tampa and many other teams, it takes time to compete for real, and there is only one champ every year, there is no guarantee. What Sakic is trying to do is to give multiple years where we can be competitive, not just 2 years.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

CC: Gabriel Landeskog

Makar will be the same age as Landy is now at 28 going on 29 when his contract expires. See what he's asking for then. Landy, I'm guessing is seeking maximum term of 8 years at the right number.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Everyone uses defenceman as comparables for Makar’s contract, but you can’t really do that, because none have really been close to where he’s at coming off two years in the league.

I think the Matthews contract probably would’ve been fair value.

Landeskog should come in a little over Hall’s deal, so a small discount would bring him back to that with term.
Comparables are the whole basis of RFA and that is why arbitration is in the CBA. Positions matter with regards to the contracts. Makar just reset the market for all RFA defensemen. On a 6 year deal, no way he’s approaching 11m. It just isn’t there in the comparables.

If you want to compare them… Landy at or over Stone is the comparable. A reset of the UFA 2 way near ppg wing market. That’s closer to what happened.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Comparables are the whole basis of RFA and that is why arbitration is in the CBA. Positions matter with regards to the contracts. Makar just reset the market for all RFA defensemen. On a 6 year deal, no way he’s approaching 11m. It just isn’t there in the comparables.

If you want to compare them… Landy at or over Stone is the comparable. A reset of the UFA 2 way near ppg wing market. That’s closer to what happened.

What comparables?

Landy isn’t Stone. He’s not close to his level defensively.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Makar will be the same age as Landy is now at 28 going on 29 when his contract expires. See what he's asking for then. Landy, I'm guessing is seeking maximum term of 8 years at the right number.

No he isn’t, he is trying to get maximum value for 8 years at his actual value knowing very well he will a second liner in 3 years, a third liner in 5 and a 4th liner in 7.

When Makar will be 28, I would give him max term and max money, just like Mack, because they are both franchise players on a top 5 team in the NHL, nothing to compare with Landy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
What comparables?

Landy isn’t Stone. He’s not close to his level defensively.
Chabot, Heiskanen, and Subban. Primarily the first two. Makar is better, which is why he got more… but a 3m jump from the first two and 2 from Subban (3rd contract and Norris) is typically way too much to push. On an 8 year deal it would be a little high (I think worth it still). 9 x 6 is still a large jump up from the others, but getting 11 on 6 would have been a seismic shift we haven’t see in a while.

Landy is pretty close to Stone. Better goal scorer and offensively, worse defensively. Which is why Landy can demand a huge payday at UFA if he wants it. Teams will pay it for who he is.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Chabot, Heiskanen, and Subban. Primarily the first two. Makar is better, which is why he got more… but a 3m jump from the first two and 2 from Subban (3rd contract and Norris) is typically way too much to push. On an 8 year deal it would be a little high (I think worth it still). 9 x 6 is still a large jump up from the others, but getting 11 on 6 would have been a seismic shift we haven’t see in a while.

Landy is pretty close to Stone. Better goal scorer and offensively, worse defensively. Which is why Landy can demand a huge payday at UFA if he wants it. Teams will pay it for who he is.

To simplify… I think Makar is the best player to come off an ELC since McDavid. That’s why I think he could’ve easily commended the Matthews contract if he wanted to.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
To simplify… I think Makar is the best player to come off an ELC since McDavid. That’s why I think he could’ve easily commended the Matthews contract if he wanted to.

He's got the defenseman version of the Matthews contract: both teams (Leafs and Avs) managed to buy only one UFA year from their star player and the difference in AAV (roughly 20%) is the difference between an elite center and an elite defenseman.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
To simplify… I think Makar is the best player to come off an ELC since McDavid. That’s why I think he could’ve easily commended more if he wanted to.
McDavid was an 8 year deal and did reset the market (was less percentage than Ovis though). 25-30ish percent more than the previous decade’s generational.

Last D of that level was Doughty. He had about 11% of cap. Or about 9m today. His also had more term. Makar would have gotten more on 8 years.

Makar could have pushed for more, but then you get into the Marner side of RFA deals. Overpaid. This is a solid deal all around for all parties and market value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad