Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-sign Cale Makar to 6-Year Deal

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If there is a guy that can keep the Avs' window open for longer it's Sakic. He has shown, with the help of McFarland I'm sure, that he can manage the cap very well and cap management is a huge part of keeping a window open longer. The current negotiations with Landy are a testament that Sakic not only wants to win a Cup but that he also wants to remain a contender for as long a she can. I know some here are all about "go all-in now" and worry about the future later but I'm conflicted on that. On one hand you can increase your odds to winning this year but you really screw yourself for the years after or on the other hand you can instead increase the number of shots you get at the can. After all going all-in doesn't assure you a Cup. In the end as I said it only increases your odds. Keeping in my that a lot need to go right to win a Cup I tend to prefer having more kicks at the can. I think if a GM is smart he can be somewhere in the middle and I think that is where Sakic is. Future will tell.

Reactions: Belgican

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I knew it would get done eventually one way or another but damn it’s so nice to just get this one over with early and no drama. Despite the 5 RFA years, which does give the Avs some leverage, Cale could have really forced the issue in some ways. I also can’t believe no signing bonus (except for 1M the final year which lol how do you arrive at that decision). Cale doesn’t even get any money until the season starts and the checks rolling in.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Honest to God I am not sure Makar is the type of person who knows what to do with 9 million. Would've loved that extra year, would've given him an extra 250K for it.
I think 7x 9.75 would've been great. Buy a house and a Tesla would be first order of business..

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Guys, he's from Calgary. He's going to get a Raptor or some **** like that, assuming he doesn't have one already. Half that city probably has a pick-up.

I drove through Edmonton a few years ago and I'm pretty sure I was the only one in the whole city driving a sedan. It was pick-up trucks only.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Friedman said on the podcast just now that he thinks an 8 year deal certainly would have been over 10M and that “he heard” (and put a lot of emphasis on not knowing for sure) that even a 3 year bridge would have been at least 8.

Sounds like the contract they went with was best case.

Sounds about right.

Let us know if he has any other Avs/Landeskog related nuggets

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Friedman said on the podcast just now that he thinks an 8 year deal certainly would have been over 10M and that “he heard” (and put a lot of emphasis on not knowing for sure) that even a 3 year bridge would have been at least 8.

Sounds like the contract they went with was best case.
If that’s the case, Sakic made a great decision. Best option by far

Reactions: Richard88

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

upload_2021-7-26_8-15-38.png

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

This is what I was talking about with him being worth the Matthews deal and why this is such a good contract for the Avs.

This kind of a difference maker hasn’t come off an ELC in a long time.

The fact that his first two years came in shortened seasons played to the Avs advantage. That and the fact his agents didn’t hold the Avs hostage and make this a long drawn out negotiation.

Reactions: AvsFan29

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
He's got the defenseman version of the Matthews contract: both teams (Leafs and Avs) managed to buy only one UFA year from their star player and the difference in AAV (roughly 20%) is the difference between an elite center and an elite defenseman.

This is the Matthews contract for D.

Rightfully more than any recent RFA comp (Heskainen or Chabot). And in line with the most recent marquee UFA contract (Jones and Pietrangelo). And it takes Makar right to UFA.

Difference is the best F can command 11m while the best D are coming in around 9m.

Aves fans need to think twice now before laughing at the Matthews contract.

Reactions: Balthazar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad