Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-sign Cale Makar to 6-Year Deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I’m pretty baffled that people can still be upset by this deal. We have arguably the best defensemen signed to a more than fair deal. Sooo much can happen in 6 years, I’m not looking that far ahead right now. He’s signed during our window so I could care less what his next contract look or how many ufa years that bought. Let’s be happy for once, god knows we deserve it.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
6x9, fair for both sides considering he's about to become the best dmen in the league. Not a discount by any means though.

Teams were able to lock in Doughty, Chabot and Miro coming off their ELCs for the full 8 yrs. Makar is just a different beast though, hard to compare.
People are forgetting that there was a real risk of an offer sheet. If a team offered 12m over 6 years the team would undoubtedly match. If I was another team and was positioned well I definitely make that offer.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Landeskog should learn from this. Although 9 mill isn't chump change, Makar could have gotten more and asked for longer term. He obviously thought about him but also the team and agreed to a very fair deal.
Makar literally reset the RFA defensemen market. It could have been more on an 8 year deal… but this is the largest RFA defensemen contract since Subban after a Norris on a 3rd deal. He didn’t really give a discount…

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Makar literally reset the RFA defensemen market. It could have been more on an 8 year deal… but this is the largest RFA defensemen contract since Subban after a Norris on a 3rd deal. He didn’t really give a discount…
I mean 9 mill is fair, but he could have asked for 1 or 2 mill more and we wouldn't say he's not worth it.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
The difference here he’s also the best defenseman in the league, only 22

It’s just a fair deal when you know Makar already values $9M today

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I mean 9 mill is fair, but he could have asked for 1 or 2 mill more and we wouldn't say he's not worth it.
He’s worth it regardless… just saying he just reset the market and signed the biggest rfa deal of recent for a defensemen. That’s not giving a discount.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I fully understand why Makar wouldn't want to go 8 years. However, bridge contracts exist ffs.

You don't care if he wants 13M AAV after his bridge contract, you just sign him for the rest of his relevant career. He'd be only 25. Then at 32-33 if he wants to walk then yeah, sure.

The ultimate goal here is for the team that drafts the player to get as many prime years as possible. We won't be drafting another Makar anytime soon.

It must suck to be you ;)

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Look at what Matthews, Marner, and Heiskanen got paid and tell me he couldn’t have gotten more if he wanted to.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Look at what Matthews, Marner, and Heiskanen got paid and tell me he couldn’t have gotten more if he wanted to.
He could have gotten more and that is why he’s only got a 6 year deal and only buying 1 ufa year. He got more than Heiskanen on a shorter term and buying 3 less UFA years. Can’t compare forwards and defensemen. They are simply paid differently especially as RFAs.

I’m 100% good with the deal, but it just isn’t a discount.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He’s worth it regardless… just saying he just reset the market and signed the biggest rfa deal of recent for a defensemen. That’s not giving a discount.
I agree, he didn't really give a discount but he also didn't go all greedy and asked for the max he could get

Reactions: henchman21

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The hope is MacKinnon and Makar consume like $25m of cap space annually for a long time as rewards for winning a Cup or two.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site

I’m not sure I follow you here, his contract is just fair compared to comparables, he could have asked 10,5 x 6 you would have said he deserved it, I’m sure

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He's gonna get another juicy contract after 6 years. He'll be 28 still in his prime, and by that time the cap should go up

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I’m not sure I follow you here, his contract is just fair compared to comparables, he could have asked 10,5 x 6 you would have said he deserved it, I’m sure
His deal reset the market as the highest rfa defensemen as it should have. He could have pushed for more money and drew this out. It would have still been worth it in the end, but he could have pulled a Marner to get more if he really wanted to. It would have likely had to be 8 years to get 10m.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

This deal pushes up salaries across the board for young D. Fox has a target now. And Hughes will or should come in below. And I bet those two are glad they waited.

Its a fair deal for both sides. Not a discount.

Reactions: henchman21

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
His deal reset the market as the highest rfa defensemen as it should have. He could have pushed for more money and drew this out. It would have still been worth it in the end, but he could have pulled a Marner to get more if he really wanted to. It would have likely had to be 8 years to get 10m.

You don’t answer my question :sarcasm:

I mean, his performance sets also a new standard for defensemen, what would you have given to him as a fair deal for 6 years ?

I was hoping for 8 years at 9,5M but that would have been a discount

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You don’t answer my question :sarcasm:

I mean, his performance sets also a new standard for defensemen, what would you have given to him as a fair deal for 6 years ?
You didn’t ask a question :laugh:

His deal is a fair deal at 6 years. I would have done whatever it took to go 8 years, or forced a 3 year bridge.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Heiskanen was 12th 2 years ago in voting while Makar was 9th. He's not that far off.
2 years ago?...how did they finish 5 years ago?

2 years ago was Makar's rookie season.

Last year Makar finished 2nd, and Heiskanen finished, well...not even close. The gap will continue to widen as Makar continues to enter his prime.

Reactions: CalderKing21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad