Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

schelstatic

Jul 20, 2010
Simple you jettison Barrie or EJ, the other way, opening up 5-6M. If the Jets are willing to take EJ then fine, but if they want Barrie they also have to take a cap dump like Mitchell to make it work.

Personally I'm not sure I'm that sold on Trouba to give up a quality player, and sign him to a big number long term deal. I think the Avs would be wise to sit this one out.

If you believe that EJ will be less productive than he his now by the time the AVS are contenders, then I think you give some serious consideration to a deal around EJ for Trouba and a first

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The Drouin saga where Drouin was never actually made available for a reasonable price by Yzerman?

Zadorov and a 1st for Jacob Trouba when we've already got EJ and Barrie on the right side just puts us in the exact same position Winnipeg is in right now, not to mention I think it's overpayment for a player who has publicly requested a trade at 22 years old

How would you know exactly how hard Yzerman was uprising a Drouin trade? Nobody wanted to pay his price and from the looks of it the avs should have. It is a slight overpayment but if jets play hardball with Trouba and he caves we'd be losing out...again.

Probably an unpopular opinion here but I'd trade EJ for Trouba before trading Barrie for him.

I'd take the former pretty easily too.

So we've started the next 9 months of hoping to peddle our first, eh? We'll never learn I guess.

Learn what the avs have traded 2 first rounders in the last 10 years. One worked out great and the other not so much(mind you it wasn't like we lost a generational player) Of the ones the avs actually picked You could make a case for each and everyone of them to be traded straight up for Trouba. The only ones you have trouble with is Landy,Mack and DUchene. The rest are relatively easy.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Simple you jettison Barrie or EJ, the other way, opening up 5-6M. If the Jets are willing to take EJ then fine, but if they want Barrie they also have to take a cap dump like Mitchell to make it work.

Personally I'm not sure I'm that sold on Trouba to give up a quality player, and sign him to a big number long term deal. I think the Avs would be wise to sit this one out.

Yes. The Avs have a new coach, almost certainly a new system, and a handful of young players who are going to have a very important development season this year. Let's do a season here and see where we are before hacking up the roster.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Trouba stopped being a fit in Colorado when they inked Barrie.

I would save that first pick for a guy like McDonagh when the Rangers bottom out.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Logistics of the cap aside, why would we get Trouba? He probably won't move to begin with because no GM is gonna overpay for a guy who requested a trade (and hasn't yet proven that he's a top pairing dman and also didn't make huge strides last season). In addition, the Jets aren't in the cup or truthfully even playoff hunt to care if he decides to sit out for a chunk of the season. They're just integrating a bunch of youth into their lineup this season, waiting for some bad contracts to end (especially Pavelec), and possibly even eyeing a new coach if a guy like Julien becomes open next summer.

They won't move him unless someone overpays so they can just be content and wait for either the kid to budge or another GM to. Also, WHY WOULD WE TRADE OUR 1ST PICK!? We were talking about how easily we could be a bottom-5 team around a month ago based on the lack of improvement in our roster while other teams improved their or got coaching changes or whatever in the west. Now our outlook has changed because hopefully we have a competent coach but he's an unproven rookie and it's still the same lineup, we don't know how much we can rely on these players yet so trading a 1st round pick could be disastrous.

We don't have an overabundance of potentially great bluechip dmen prospects to afford to overpay for Trouba. Let's see how the season goes, we could be drafting Liljegren or Foote for all we know.

edit: The fact that a lot of Jets fans are actually EXCITED about the prospect of moving Trouba and the return they might get back for him should say a lot. We were pretty resigned and sad at the potential of having to trade Barrie earlier on.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Crazy, if Trouba would have put out his trade request last year at the same time Hamonic did, everyone would have got what they wanted.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Obviously if you can get Trouba for a first you do that but no way that's an option. It's about consolidating assets, significant assets. The first isn't just a magical sweetener that's going to get everything done. Yeah they all don't work out, that's why you have to keep making picks. Let's not pretend we are further than we are either, it's just the impulse every single decent player is available. I know it will happen 54,879x in this thread over the year, I just thought we had a break from it. Not any more I guess.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Cheveldayoff have been accused of procrastinating in the past and if he's been sitting on Trouba from May to now, he may have made a mistake. Surely the big market for the player would have been late June/early July?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If we trade EJ for Trouba we're basically without a true #1 defensemen until one of Trouba, Barrie, Bigras or Zadorov is ready for that role, and that could be years, if ever. That just pushes our window back even farther. I'm content to leave Trouba alone and not gift a division rival with the assets it would take to get him out of there.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If we trade EJ for Trouba we're basically without a true #1 defensemen until one of Trouba, Barrie, Bigras or Zadorov is ready for that role, and that could be years, if ever. That just pushes our window back even farther. I'm content to leave Trouba alone and not gift a division rival with the assets it would take to get him out of there.
EJ isn't a true #1 either.

The only ways it could work with the cap this year is if EJ or Barrie are going back. So it's probably not happening.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Obviously if you can get Trouba for a first you do that but no way that's an option. It's about consolidating assets, significant assets. The first isn't just a magical sweetener that's going to get everything done. Yeah they all don't work out, that's why you have to keep making picks. Let's not pretend we are further than we are either, it's just the impulse every single decent player is available. I know it will happen 54,879x in this thread over the year, I just thought we had a break from it. Not any more I guess.

I don't know if the 1st can play a major role in getting Trouba, but it's possible they have more interest in something like that than a player.

It's been said a few times, winning the lottery and getting Laine changed their asking price dramatically. They're pretty strong defensively, they've got some good forwards. They might have some interest in stockpiling picks to help them down the road, and keep them competative when they'll have to replace some of these guys.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He's not a bright player, nor does he have Z's physical traits.

I don't think he does either, but my point was it shouldn't be assumed we've seen the best of what he can become.

D is the one position where all these things like smarts, physical traits, and natural talent are all important, but also not as important as being able to put it all together and just play the way that works for you. A guy that can do that, can be better than a guy who beats him in a lot of the individual categories.

I'm not trying to make a comparison between him and Z. I think Z has a higher upside. Comparison's aside though, I think the similarity is that both could turn out pretty good if they continue to get ice time and develop, and it's hard to know right now for sure what the final product will be.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
How would you know exactly how hard Yzerman was uprising a Drouin trade? Nobody wanted to pay his price and from the looks of it the avs should have. It is a slight overpayment but if jets play hardball with Trouba and he caves we'd be losing out...again.

Nobody wanted to pay his price because his price was absurd, because Yzerman never had any plans to actually trade him unless a massive haul was coming back his way.

Trouba isn't some next big superstar, either. Would I trade EJ for him straight up? Probably, only because of the difference in age between the two players. But I wouldn't move Zadorov + 1st for him. We need Zadorov a hell of a lot more than we need Trouba.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
The Avs can't get Trouba right now. Too much cap, no realistic trade assets, etc.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Mathieu Perreault on Jacob Trouba:

"This guy plays big minutes, 22 minutes, and he's gonna complain some sort of way about his ice time? How much more does he want? I think for (Trouba's) case, you know, it might be even worse not to come play. If we start the year and it goes well, then, you know, it feels like we don't even need you."

Well then... See ya later, Trouba

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mathieu Perreault on Jacob Trouba:

"This guy plays big minutes, 22 minutes, and he's gonna complain some sort of way about his ice time? How much more does he want? I think for (Trouba's) case, you know, it might be even worse not to come play. If we start the year and it goes well, then, you know, it feels like we don't even need you."

Well then... See ya later, Trouba

Nice of him to instantly react that way to a teammate. He missed his point as well. Trouba was getting those minutes playing on the left side. He made a point of saying he wants to play on the right side.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The role/ice time thing is most likely BS. He wants to play in a nice city in US and not in Manitoba. It's of course nothing he will say publicly because it makes him look bad.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The role/ice time thing is most likely BS. He wants to play in a nice city in US and not in Manitoba. It's of course nothing he will say publicly because it makes him look bad.

It definitely is, it's purely a PR move. If he says "I don't like the city" then everyone will dislike him. If he says "It's because of the money" then everyone will call him greedy. If he says it's about opportunity...well, then the blame is on the coaching staff, and Trouba is just a young player who wants a chance.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

That might be a big part of it, but I bet he's telling the truth about his right/left preference. He's been much better on his natural right side, and he's said he wasn't totally comfortable on the left side before this. Being forced to play on the left because the team has two other top 4 right D could negatively affect his performance and how much money he commands in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad