Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Get Callan Foote in a trade (or the pick that lands Foote).

Casual fans would know the name, and be happy about it.

Same with Lemieux's kid.

no kidding. I wanted the Avs to draft Lemieux so bad... now in hindsight, I have to admit they made the right choice not going after him. (not that our selection was much better, but...) Kid looks like will turn IF MUCH into a new Tom Wilson. :(

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not so sure that it should, though. The best PR to me would to start winning games. Even to the casual fan

Have y'all noticed they've been putting Mack and Barrie out in public for autograph appearances and apparently there's a $10 off coupon at the grocery store (will check what that is next time I'm there). I know you gotta start somewhere but wish they'd do it before they are in desperation mode.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
Ehhhhh, things were WAY worse between the Bolts and Drouin, and somehow they kissed and made up.

I'm not terribly optimistic that will happen here, but it's possible.

Different ... Droin is years away from i UFA Duchene is 2 years. But two years if they start winning could mend fences... If they win

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Different ... Droin is years away from i UFA Duchene is 2 years. But two years if they start winning could mend fences... If they win

It might have been years away but Drouin quit on the team... weeks later he was back like it was all normal. If that can be salvageable anything can be even the supposed Duchene strained relationship.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It might have been years away but Drouin quit on the team... weeks later he was back like it was all normal. If that can be salvageable anything can be even the supposed Duchene strained relationship.

I really don't want to open a debate on this but what choice did he have? Duchene would be UFA. Hurt feelings is not the top line issue in that situation either.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I really don't want to open a debate on this but what choice did he have? Duchene would be UFA. Hurt feelings is not the top line issue in that situation either.

Easily, could've waited out the year(just a couple of months away to the end of the season) and waited until Tampa struggled. He played his biggest card but didn't commit to it.

The avs have 2 years to woo Duchene back and again we're assuming Duchene is mad at the avs. Yet, he's still playing and still getting upset after loses so, really who's quitting on who here?

If you don't think this is a debate worth having, I'll drop it but people really need to stop making baseless claims. They have taken quotes out of context and read between the lines only to fit a narrative. It's been past over like legit facts recently. Not direct at you or avsblitz.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Easily, could've waited out the year(just a couple of months away to the end of the season) and waited until Tampa struggled. He played his biggest card but didn't commit to it.

The avs have 2 years to woo Duchene back and again we're assuming Duchene is mad at the avs. Yet, he's still playing and still getting upset after loses so, really who's quitting on who here?

If you don't think this is a debate worth having, I'll drop it but people really need to stop making baseless claims. They have taken quotes out of context and read between the lines only to fit a narrative. It's been past over like legit facts recently. Not direct at you or avsblitz.

IIRC it was around November that he requested a trade was it not? If so, that would have left 5+ months in the season. That's quite a bit of time.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
IIRC it was around November that he requested a trade was it not? If so, that would have left 5+ months in the season. That's quite a bit of time.

He asked in November privately went public in early January and later in January he didn't show to an AHL game. Meaning there was 2 months left of regular season hockey.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

This is key. The fact that he is not putting up points should not be construed as "he's done with the team and wants out". Landeskog has even fewer points, but the narrative on him is very different. Literally every player on this team, core or otherwise, it having their worst statistical season ever under Bednar. Why is Duchene being singled out as the one core guy who wants out?

I just think the narrative on Duchene is running off the tracks here. There are too many things we're assuming based on things like his body language in interviews that could mean multiple things (like being upset at losing so much, for example) and cherry picking to fit the story.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Have y'all noticed they've been putting Mack and Barrie out in public for autograph appearances and apparently there's a $10 off coupon at the grocery store (will check what that is next time I'm there). I know you gotta start somewhere but wish they'd do it before they are in desperation mode.

I mean we should have the PR dept. sewn up with Landy as a Captain and Dutchy as one of our main stars. Actually throw in EJ's humor, Barrie (nice guy) and even Iggy's smile over the last couple of years and you have a PR dept's wet dream.

My angle is that this doesn't mean a damned thing if you aren't winning hockey games. You will lose the 'casual fan' whether you have good PR or not if you are losing as much as us.

If I'm running the show I put 100% effort towards icing a winning hockey team and then let the winning culture be the PR engine.

But that's just me

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Sure winning is the ultimate motivator but the history of this org and the culture have created sort of a of you aren't in the conference finals then you aren't really "winning" even if it's been 15 years. So they need to do something to bridge the gap before they get to that point. You don't want a fanbase's loyalty to solely rest on winning either. There's no reason why they can't have a fan fair and get guys out into the public to put in a little effort. Can't they do both? Build the team up right but in the meantime use the human capital you have? It's going to mean a lot more to a kid and leave an impression those one on one interactions. It takes a lot more effort than if you build it they will come especially when hockey might be the 5th or 6th most popular sport in Denver.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Sure winning is the ultimate motivator but the history of this org and the culture have created sort of a of you aren't in the conference finals then you aren't really "winning" even if it's been 15 years. So they need to do something to bridge the gap before they get to that point. You don't want a fanbase's loyalty to solely rest on winning either. There's no reason why they can't have a fan fair and get guys out into the public to put in a little effort. Can't they do both? Build the team up right but in the meantime use the human capital you have? It's going to mean a lot more to a kid and leave an impression those one on one interactions. It takes a lot more effort than if you build it they will come especially when hockey might be the 5th or 6th most popular sport in Denver.

This organization is arrogant. Its like the millionaire who loses all his money but refuses to change his lifestyle.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC

Yes absolutely they can and should do both. But my original comment was trying to rebut the argument that trading Duchene or Landy might cause a PR problem and we should tread lightly with that in mind. My argument is that if they have a chance to move anyone on the team to make the team better now or in the future then I do it, no if ands or buts, even if it creates a tad of a PR pushback among the casual fans. They will come back around when and if we start winning again.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
To put this on a different track, does anybody here want Rene Bourque back on another 1-year deal? He did lose steam in the middle of the year, but he has picked up some steam in the last few weeks. His effort level, which everybody predicted would fall off any day now, has been consistent. And he pots goals, showing that hr still has a bit of finishing instinct. Does anybody think he could be a decent depth guy for next year after basically proving that he still belongs in the NHL? We're going to have to sign some fill-in plugs anyway to make a roster, why not the devil we know?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
To put this on a different track, does anybody here want Rene Bourque back on another 1-year deal? He did lose steam in the middle of the year, but he has picked up some steam in the last few weeks. His effort level, which everybody predicted would fall off any day now, has been consistent. And he pots goals, showing that hr still has a bit of finishing instinct. Does anybody think he could be a decent depth guy for next year after basically proving that he still belongs in the NHL? We're going to have to sign some fill-in plugs anyway to make a roster, why not the devil we know?

I want as few plugs as possible but I hear ya too, there will be some regardless. He's been ok but I think as many from this roster not coming back the better.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I want as few plugs as possible but I hear ya too, there will be some regardless. He's been ok but I think as many from this roster not coming back the better.

But the plugs as you call it (let's call them bottom 6 forwards, and say bottom 3 D-men) are all improving.

Andrighetto + Nieto + Compher (then maybe Greer) is an upgrade big time on what we had already.

I'm classing our top 6 as: Rantanen, Jost, Patrick, Duchene, Mackinnon & Landeskog (or something similar).

Then, defensively you have Zadorov, Johnson and Barrie as your top 3, then we have Barberio & hopefully Bigras included in the bottom 3. Beauchemin (who everyone can admit is playing much, much better, could round that out.

Picks goes back to being a back-up, and we have a hopefully healthy Varly back.

Surely that's plenty of light at the end of the tunnel. Jeez I pray it is. Our plugs are actually relevant and competitive NHL'ers imo.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
But the plugs as you call it (let's call them bottom 6 forwards, and say bottom 3 D-men) are all improving.

Andrighetto + Nieto + Compher (then maybe Greer) is an upgrade big time on what we had already.

I'm classing our top 6 as: Rantanen, Jost, Patrick, Duchene, Mackinnon & Landeskog (or something similar).

Then, defensively you have Zadorov, Johnson and Barrie as your top 3, then we have Barberio & hopefully Bigras included in the bottom 3. Beauchemin (who everyone can admit is playing much, much better, could round that out.

Surely that's plenty of light at the end of the tunnel. Jeez I pray it is. Our plugs are actually relevant and competitive NHL'ers imo.

- Those aren't the plugs we're talking about. We're talking about the Comeau's/Mitchell's/Soderberg's/Bourque's/Grigorenko's/Colborne's of the world.

- Beauchemin absolutely has not been playing better. He's just as bad as he has been all season.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Maybe its better to do a trade in at a draft day instead of re-signing Rene Bourque. If Avs get the 1st overall pick then maybe trading it down to 2nd overall for Duclair and then we could get to choose Hischier and have Duclair if Arizona wants Patrick that bad.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yeah I'd give him another year. Especially if they lose or buyout one of Comeau/Colborne. Hes continued to play a style that makes him useful in the bottom six. You'd hope he actually plays down there next year too.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
No point in having borque back next year. We arent ready to compete. We need to get younger and faster. Soda, comeau and colbourne will wlll all be here next year playing in our bottom 6 wether we want them to our not. Then theres sven, greer, compher and maybe jost playing bottom 6 too. I dont want to have any veterans added or retained especially borque who was having a solid year and he still couldnt be moved at the deadline

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

Uhhhhhhhhhh...what?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
No point in having borque back next year. We arent ready to compete. We need to get younger and faster. Soda, comeau and colbourne will wlll all be here next year playing in our bottom 6 wether we want them to our not. Then theres sven, greer, compher and maybe jost playing bottom 6 too. I dont want to have any veterans added or retained especially borque who was having a solid year and he still couldnt be moved at the deadline

To be fair, he'd been out with a concussion for a month, and had been invisible in the 3-4 games between coming back into the lineup and the TDL. Not too surprising all things considered.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Maybe its better to do a trade in at a draft day instead of re-signing Rene Bourque. If Avs get the 1st overall pick then maybe trading it down to 2nd overall for Duclair and then we could get to choose Hischier and have Duclair if Arizona wants Patrick that bad.

**** no. Patrick fits this team perfectly. If yotes want Nolan that badly I'd ask for oel period. Not their 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad