Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
It's certainly unfortunate Duchene has been playing so poorly lately. Draft day would have been a great time to get good value for him in a trade... now that's a little shakier

he seems like the type of player who isn't going to age well because he has thrived primarily on his motor, which seems to be slowing down

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There have been many players that have been rumoured or clearly on the market but stayed with their team. Skinner,Faulk and Simmonds to name a few. These guys have heard their names on a yearly basis in the media yet none of them have been traded. JVR too.

but but he's struggling so, he must have quit.

Do you understand the difference between media speculation and your GM saying that they won't rebuild the team around you and you're available?

If Francis named players that they were building the team around, omitted Faulk and Skinner, and said that everyone else is available then show me the quote. Otherwise it's apples and oranges.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Do you understand the difference between media speculation and your GM saying that they won't rebuild the team around you and you're available?

If Francis named players that they were building the team around, omitted Faulk and Skinner, and said that everyone else is available then show me the quote. Otherwise it's apples and oranges.

Show me where Sakic said explicitly said Duchene was available?

Skinner,Faulk,Simmonds and JVR the writing was on the wall for all of them and they all survived. Not a single one of them requested a deal because of the speculation.

You're also assuming that Sakic will be here for the next 2 years.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

HE didn't say that.

When asked if anyone was untouchable, Sakic said “Well, I don’t plan on moving a guy like MacKinnon, (Tyson) Jost, (Mikko) Rantanen, especially with their age."

Thats the exact quote...and then didn't even try to calm the media storm with all the Duchene/Landy rumors, leaving them, the team and the fans in uncertainty. If you find similar beer league stuff from another NHL GM please share it with us.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't know maybe the whole being the worst team in cap era history. I'm not doubting the cap situation, I'm questioning if he even wants to stay. I'd want the hell out if I had a chance or could elsewhere.

He's still signed for another year at a 600k cap hit and previously passed through waivers so it's not like he can demand a trade. I see no reason whatsoever why he'd not be back.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
HE didn't say that.

When asked if anyone was untouchable, Sakic said “Well, I don’t plan on moving a guy like MacKinnon, (Tyson) Jost, (Mikko) Rantanen, especially with their age."

Thats the exact quote...and then didn't even try to calm the media storm with all the Duchene/Landy rumors, leaving them, the team and the fans in uncertainty. If you find similar beer league stuff from another NHL GM please share it with us.

Yup, my point exactly he never said we want Duchene/Landy out. Sure there's been speculation but many players have survived this sort of stuff. The narrative is just not there, no matter how hard people try. This whole quitting on the team is BS.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He did say things like "I'm not looking to trade my core just to do it". Process of elimination right there. Couple that with the reports from the legit insiders saying his name every single day, that idiot from Ottawa saying Duchene's name in particular, Duchene himself saying things about reading the Internet every 5 minutes to see what's going on, it's not tough to piece this together.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't know maybe the whole being the worst team in cap era history. I'm not doubting the cap situation, I'm questioning if he even wants to stay. I'd want the hell out if I had a chance or could elsewhere.

He's still signed for another year at a 600k cap hit and previously passed through waivers so it's not like he can demand a trade. I see no reason whatsoever why he'd not be back.

Andrighetto isn't signed, Barb is. You hear his comments it's easy to see why Andrighetto would want to stay, he's getting an opportunity here that he wasn't getting in Montreal. That's what a last place team can offer guys, a chance. The Avs have to be smart enough to use it. Andrighetto is a RFA anyway, if they qualify him it's not like he has a choice either.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He did say things like "I'm not looking to trade my core just to do it". Process of elimination right there. Couple that with the reports from the legit insiders saying his name every single day, that idiot from Ottawa saying Duchene's name in particular, Duchene himself saying things about reading the Internet every 5 minutes to see what's going on, it's not tough to piece this together.

I never once claimed the rumours are false... anyone who thinks that is not paying attention. DUchene's name is out there he is available to a degree. The issue I have is with 1) he's quit on the team and he's FOR SURE done with being an av and 2) it is certain that the avs are done with him and they do not want him. Both narratives have been pushed extremely hard on here from what I can assume to be expert physiologists and body language readers. Next people will claim they have forensic evidence of Duchene being done with this team.

Unless, people have inside knowledge themselves and can prove it without a doubt (where's TPS in all this) otherwise please give it a rest.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yup, my point exactly he never said we want Duchene/Landy out. Sure there's been speculation but many players have survived this sort of stuff. The narrative is just not there, no matter how hard people try. This whole quitting on the team is BS.

I think you've reach the point of "I don't want the team to trade my favorite player". It's fine. No point in arguing further.

Andrighetto isn't signed

Yeah, RFA. My bad.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think you've reach the point of "I don't want the team to trade my favorite player". It's fine. No point in arguing further.

Nope, when the rumours were at its peak I had no problem discussing trading DUchene... the issue has been people making up their own narratives.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
So does anyone think we can keep Andrighetto around?

I think we lose him or Grigorenko in the expansion draft. Unless the Avs figure out the defensive situation.

He's getting good ice time in the NHL. He'd be crazy to want to leave.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Have you ever had a job? How would it feel if your boss was openly trying to get rid of you? Would it affect your productivity? Your relations with your coworkers? Your motivation getting up and going to work every morning? Of course it would. You'd collect your paycheck while making plans to go work elsewhere where you're actually wanted. Hockey players are no different than the rest of us.

There are not "real world" comparables to this situation. No point in trying to make one.

This is standard NHL business, players can be traded and rumors happen. Once the dust settles the whole situation can be made better, the Avs don't HAVE to trade Duchene. Let's not act like drama queens here.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015

I like this argument. Any time any poster disagrees with your view on the situation and asks for proof evidence, it results in this. Everything is speculation, you can "read between the lines" all you want, but fact is there has been no concrete evidence regarding 98% of the claims that you or TV make.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

He's getting a chance to play 1st line minutes here, something he's never had in his career. He'd be stupid not to stay because there's no guarantee another team will give him that.

Plus, he's an RFA.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I like this argument. Any time any poster disagrees with your view on the situation and asks for proof evidence, it results in this. Everything is speculation, you can "read between the lines" all you want, but fact is there has been no concrete evidence regarding 98% of the claims that you or TV make.

A spade is a spade

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Well I don't know what people expect from the worst GM in the league?

Of course that was amateur hour. Even more in hindsight now after Duchenes value has taken a complete nosedive.

Now Sakic has put us into the situation that we are basically forced to hang on to Duchene or take a terrible deal for him at the draft. I personally would rather hang on given the strength of the 2017 vs the 2018 draft.

Shopping Duchene around quietly is fine. But doing it like Joe did was just beyond stupid. Especially if you don't have the balls to pull the trigger or don't get the offers you like.

You quietly float the names out there and if the offers you receive in return are not even close you publicly laugh at those rumors and deny them like crazy. Especially with a guy that has always been a bit mentally fragile like Duchene.
If then a great offer comes around, you pull the trigger. Everyone will understand. Duchene might be a bit unhappy but probably not even that. If not you spare yourself, your fans and Duchene the drama.
But Sakic completely lacks that aspect of his job. He is probably simply not smart enough for real gamesmanship or shrewd moves...

But eh. Worst GM in the league. So more Kroenkes fault for putting him and this merry band of nepotists in charge than the fault of the guy who put his hand into a snowblower.

Joe will always be my favorite player but well...

He clearly has to go and take almost all of his current guys with him...

I honestly don't even want to let him handle the Duchene situation. Clean out the front office + coaching staff and try to somehow mend the relationship with Duchene. Atleast openly talk to him about what the plan is from here on out (which Sakic clearly has not done) and hope that he will rebound under a new coach/front office.

Then quietly (!) field offers for him at the deadline or if worst comes to worst sell him off to the highest bidder at the draft if you can't get him on a reasonable contract.

His value right now is shot and this is a terrible draft to trade him for meh + 1st round pick..

Last edited:

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States

Skinner,Faulk,Simmonds and JVR the writing was on the wall for all of them and they all survived. Not a single one of them requested a deal because of the speculation.

You're also assuming that Sakic will be here for the next 2 years.

Let's be honest here. Sakic does not explicitly say anything. The man can talk for 10 minutes without saying anything.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So question of the day...How much would you give to LV for them to select Blake Comeau? I can't deal with another year of him.

I was thinking of offering our 3rd this year to them just to take him off our hands. I know that's a little steep but he's got to go.

I can live with guys like Colborne, Grigs, Soderberg etc. but if Blake Comeau is on the team next year I might just skip watching next season. Literally can't stand that worthless waste of space. Never seen a player that was so completely worthless in every aspect of the game.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So question of the day...How much would you give to LV for them to select Blake Comeau? I can't deal with another year of him.

I was thinking of offering our 3rd this year to them just to take him off our hands. I know that's a little steep but he's got to go.

I can live with guys like Colborne, Grigs, Soderberg etc. but if Blake Comeau is on the team next year I might just skip watching next season. Literally can't stand that worthless waste of space. Never seen a player that was so completely worthless in every aspect of the game.

This team is in no position to give draft picks away. If Vegas doesn't take Comeau, then so be it. He's here for 1 more season and we *hopefully* trade him at the deadline. But you don't give a single pick away just so Vegas picks him.

Hell, I'd bet they pick him regardless. Who else will they pick? Barberio? Not a good enough d-man to warrant picking given the d-men who will be exposed. Soderberg? Horrible contract. Colborne? He's worse than Comeau, shockingly. I think Vegas takes Comeau for the one year and then is done with him. Nobody else on Colorado is enticing enough.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK

I'll take my kudos anyday now for saying this the day we signed him.

Also, prepare to throw up in your mouth when the Avs protect Comeau and we lose one of Nieto, Barberio or Andrighetto, aka the only 3 guys who've come in here and seem to hit the ice giving two ***** about the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad