Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
They're going to take nieto or Sven I think.

Why would vegas take any of the other plugs. Beauchemin won't waive (probably) forcing us to do 4/4/1 Landy/Mack/duchene/ nieto or sven

Sven is going to get protected. Especially since he has been arguably our best player since entering the lineup. Now I could see vegas taking Nieto, but really the guy hasn't been that good either. 8pts in 36 games isn't great. He started hot but is proving what I already knew which is average 3rd liner, which there will be plenty of come expansion draft time so if lose him we lose him.

The protection list will probably be something like:

MacK
Landy
Duchene
Ghetto
EJ
Beauchemin (have to protect due to NMC)
Barrie
Zadorov

Varly or Picks (whoever they decide)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Colborne is young enough and not that far removed from a 20 goal season, I could see whoever was interested in him this summer might want to roll the dice there, probably with retention.

He also never showed to be a guy who plays with any kind of consistent effort and is the exact opposite of what you want your player to be in the playoffs, a defensive liability, streaky as hell, lazy and soft.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Sven is going to get protected. Especially since he has been arguably our best player since entering the lineup. Now I could see vegas taking Nieto, but really the guy hasn't been that good either. 8pts in 36 games isn't great. He started hot but is proving what I already knew which is average 3rd liner, which there will be plenty of come expansion draft time so if lose him we lose him.

MacK
Landy
Duchene
Ghetto
EJ
Barrie
Zadorov

That's fair and I would agree. I think that the age and nieto's relatively low salary will help.

I don't think vegas will take one of the goalies but that would be another option for them if they think the rest of the Avs team is such a waste and try to flip varlamov if he can bounce back.

Varly + Fleury and then hope one of them bounce back and trade them. Not too sure what their plan is going to be goaltending wise

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Seeing college prospects sign with teams every day just makes me sad. I mean, I've never heard of any of the FAs signing but can we get one?

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Avs shouldn't spend anything to get Las Vegas to take a player. Just hope they take a bum instead of a good young player.

The possible exception would be Söderberg, but LV would probably want a good pick if Avs are desperate to get rid of him.

We would be absolutely nuts to give up a pick just to get someone to take Soderberg. Soderberg is one of several players that I expect to bounce back hugely the instant Jared "oxygen deprived in the womb" Bednar gets shown the door.

If someone takes him for free, fine, we're off the hook for his contract. But if LV snags him, he's putting up 50 points there.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We would be absolutely nuts to give up a pick just to get someone to take Soderberg. Soderberg is one of several players that I expect to bounce back hugely the instant Jared "oxygen deprived in the womb" Bednar gets shown the door.

If someone takes him for free, fine, we're off the hook for his contract. But if LV snags him, he's putting up 50 points there.

Career high 51 points and it's gurenteed that he will post 50 with an expansion team at 32 years old? I agree that the current Soderberg is it likely what we'll see forever but I have my doubts he will pot 50 ever again. I'd pay a mid pick to rid ourselves of that contract.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Career high 51 points and it's gurenteed that he will post 50 with an expansion team at 32 years old? I agree that the current Soderberg is it likely what we'll see forever but I have my doubts he will pot 50 ever again. I'd pay a mid pick to rid ourselves of that contract.

Not a guarantee, just my expectation. I assume every player that escapes this cesspool in the offseason will be leaps and bounds better next season, and I think if LV takes Soderberg, he'll be utilized properly as at least a 2C and put up the points to prove it.

If Bednar stays, we might as well jettison everyone who did worse under him, because its not going to get better.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't think the Avs should be throwing away any picks. They don't need the cap space so just keep Soderberg around if no one wants him. If anything, they should be trying to acquire more picks, maybe even if they need to take on a bad contract for a year.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think the Avs should be throwing away any picks. They don't need the cap space so just keep Soderberg around if no one wants him. If anything, they should be trying to acquire more picks, maybe even if they need to take on a bad contract for a year.

Amen. I'd be more than willing to take on bad contracts if teams are willing to give 1st/2nd round picks like they have been to a team like Arizona.

I don't hold my breath, though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Meh... Hold onto him for another season. If he can't have some level of bounce back that allows him to be traded or become useful then buy him out at that point. One less year on that contract, and we are not pressed for cap space next season. They've done well enough with mid round picks lately (Looking better anyways), that I'd rather have the pick.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle

MacK
Landy
Duchene
Ghetto
EJ
Barrie
Zadorov

Probably. But if the Avs had any sense, they'd buy out Beauchemin and protect Nieto, Grigorenko, and one more instead. But, I doubt they have any sense to them.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I actually can't take another season of Beauchemin, especially if he's playing 20+ mins a night like he has been. Please give us a new coach.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Seeing college prospects sign with teams every day just makes me sad. I mean, I've never heard of any of the FAs signing but can we get one?

I had this same conversation with AJ on twitter. It's so infuriating to see all these teams swooping down and cashing in on "free" prospects while we sit idly by. Again. This team is in zero freakin position to just say we're fine we don't need to add to our prospect depth. They need help, at every position. They shouldn't be picky about how they get it. Then I also understand the other side of the argument, like how many actually turn out to be big NHL producers. But literally almost every team has an overage FA that recently signed within a couple years contributing to their squad.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It doesn't matter if they turn out to be NHL stars, AHL success breeds NHL success, if they can help there it benefits the org. They also should be aggressive in bringing in undrafted players to development camp or rookie camp and look to sign one or two who impress there, like having a free draft pick but they don't do that either. Just keep doing what you are doing, it's working just fine.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Nieto over Grigorenko all day for me. Wouldn't even consider Grigs. Nieto/Barberio/Andrighetto all before Grigs.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm not even sure we want to keep Grigo in the first place. He has a high QO with arb rights. Vegas won't touch that. Nobody knows what to do with the guy either.

Hire Roy as a Sports Counselor for him, then trade him to Quebec once they get a team.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm sure it's against the rules, but I wish we could sell protection slots. I would t lose sleep over any of these guys we're talking about getting taken by vegas.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
It doesn't matter if they turn out to be NHL stars, AHL success breeds NHL success, if they can help there it benefits the org. They also should be aggressive in bringing in undrafted players to development camp or rookie camp and look to sign one or two who impress there, like having a free draft pick but they don't do that either. Just keep doing what you are doing, it's working just fine.

I'm right there with you. It shouldn't be about whether or not they'll be bonafide NHL superstars. If they can provide good AHL play on top of some potential NHL callup depth that's great. Then again, we have a serious development/coaching problem at all levels. So that should probably be figured out first and it doesn't appear to be any time soon with the owners/management.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm not even sure we want to keep Grigo in the first place. He has a high QO with arb rights. Vegas won't touch that. Nobody knows what to do with the guy either.

No QO and he signs with the KHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad