Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Never doubt Sakic's passiveness.

I dunno about that. Like I've stated numerous times, I thought the plan all along was to trade him at the draft just like they did with ROR. To move him at the TD would have taken an enormous package from the other team to get it done...it was Sakic's stance and he stuck to his guns instead of making a bad deal. Now people are labeling him 'passive' and 'in over his head'. If that was the plan all along, why should he get flack for following his own plan and not flinching???

The plan to move Duchene at the draft is a smart one and it's a smart move to wait and see A) what number we are picking in the top-4 and B) What teams will be willing to give up for Duchene prior to the expansion draft that might allow them to go 7-3-1 instead of 4-4-1.

We'll see what happens...I'm not ready to completely give up on Sakic until I see what kind of moves he makes between now and the 2nd week of July.

Then he gets traded as a deadline rental. We'll probably have a year of delusion that year so he'll walk for free

I love the concept that there is a time-warp of sorts that somehow exists where the 2018-19 season apparently doesn't exist and we jump directly to the summer of 2019 where Duchene walks as a UFA.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I dunno about that. Like I've stated numerous times, I thought the plan all along was to trade him at the draft just like they did with ROR. To move him at the TD would have taken an enormous package from the other team to get it done...it was Sakic's stance and he stuck to his guns instead of making a bad deal. Now people are labeling him 'passive' and 'in over his head'. If that was the plan all along, why should he get flack for following his own plan and not flinching???

The plan to move Duchene at the draft is a smart one and it's a smart move to wait and see A) what number we are picking in the top-4 and B) What teams will be willing to give up for Duchene prior to the expansion draft that might allow them to go 7-3-1 instead of 4-4-1.

We'll see what happens...I'm not ready to completely give up on Sakic until I see what kind of moves he makes between now and the 2nd week of July.

We will see, but Duchene has been on the market since at least December 2015... Sakic already passed on one draft to move Duchene and 2 deadlines. I don't personally see Sakic planning this trade 18 months in advance... I think he just drags his feet until it is forced on him. Like I think it will be in 2018.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The original question was what happens AFTER NEXT season if he scores only 50 points.

Or 40... that was my question before the deadline this year. It's a no brainer that Duchene will light it up wherever he goes but he looks done with the Avs. It's hard to stay motivated when you're somewhere you don't want to be.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
- Tavares is the type of player who goes in a one-for-one type of trade for a defender or another piece which isn't a centre.

- Duchene is the type of player who should and probably will go for a package deal of futures featuring a legitimate defencive prospect, a solid prospect, and a draft pick.

That's how the see the two. Tavares will definitely impact a Duchene trade, but at the same type it won't. It impacts us if a team decides to focus from Duchene to Tavares. HOWEVER, for all the teams not willing to give up Chabot, McAvoy, or Sergachev for two years of Duchene. Why will they give up the same piece for an upcoming UFA Tavares?

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Or 40... that was my question before the deadline this year. It's a no brainer that Duchene will light it up wherever he goes but he looks done with the Avs. It's hard to stay motivated when you're somewhere you don't want to be.

That was a point I made in a post a few days ago. Duchene and possibly others in our core have the talent and defficiencies of complimentary but not star players. I have no doubt he will play better and possibly consistently better if he goes to a more well rounded team where most of the pressure is not solely on him to produce. If he is asked to be the man I think you see similar struggles.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Depressing seeing the return people are willing to give for one year of Tavares as a rental versus 2 years + playoffs of Duchene (I don't blame them for low-balling on Duchene now considering how he's played).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The original question was what happens AFTER NEXT season if he scores only 50 points.

.61 points per game is a 50 point season over 82 games. This is only the second time Duchene has had less than a .67 point per game average in a season.

If you go by his history, I really think the chances are better that he finishes with 60+ points next year, rather than 50.

Even still, ROR was traded at the same point with one year remaining, and coming off a 55 point season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Depressing seeing the return people are willing to give for one year of Tavares as a rental versus 2 years + playoffs of Duchene (I don't blame them for low-balling on Duchene now considering how he's played).

Difference between a franchise player and a very good player.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
- Tavares is the type of player who goes in a one-for-one type of trade for a defender or another piece which isn't a centre.

Agreed. Only reason why they would trade Tavares is if Tavares doesn't want to stay...and if that's the case he'll get traded for another superstar. Shanahan for Pronger kind of trade.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
What I'm waiting on.

* Draft lottery
* The Duchene situation to resolve itself
* What Avs are going to do with the players who showed they can't be relied on (32, 14, 34, 8, 25).

The last 9 games I'll just watch out of habit. Not really enjoying it but who said life was just fun.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
What do you think about trade our first round example carolina for swap first round and a good prospect in defence like Hanifin or Fleury and Roy. I'm not sure than the better player of this draft is the 1 or second pick.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If you're asking if I'd trade 1OA for Hanifin, I would. He's exactly the kind of player I'd want to take with the pick of one we're available this year.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If you're asking if I'd trade 1OA for Hanifin, I would. He's exactly the kind of player I'd want to take with the pick of one we're available this year.

Hanifin didn't impress so far at the NHL level and it'd be a very risky trade, to say the least.

Anyways, teams don't trade 1st OA picks (I'm not saying they shouldn't, but they don't).

PS: Those who want to trade our pick because it's a weak draft...other teams know it's a weak draft as well. We'd not be getting a McDavid or Matthews' trade loot here.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Not exactly what i proposed. Example: caroline sixth pick 2017 + Hanifin vs colorado first pick + something small. Before 1 march every GM or fans overevaluate the FUTUR prospect and underevaluate a nhl player who proove something. Now we can profit of this mentality. My english is so bad and i hope you understand what i wrote.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Not exactly what i proposed. Example: caroline sixth pick 2017 + Hanifin vs colorado first pick + something small. Before 1 march every GM or fans overevaluate the FUTUR prospect and underevaluate a nhl player who proove something. Now we can profit of this mentality. My english is so bad and i hope you understand what i wrote.

I dont think it'd be something small. Hanifin for 1OA in this draft isn't all that far off.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

Its difficult to say. If Avs pick number 1 overall, then no. If they slide down to 3rd or 4th overall and trade to Carolina, then, I would consider Hanifin so that we can have top 2 Dman with hopefully Lijegren and Hanifin to be ready in 2018 and hopefully Zads with Johnson on a second line. That would be awesome.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
There are people on here who wouldn't trade Bigras + #5 for #1 + something small if it was reversed and we are discussing Hanafin? yikes

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Hi, Canes fan here.

I doubt our club/fans would be willing to move Hanifin for the 1OA if your team got it in the lottery. He has been playing extremely well since moving up from 3rd pairning to 2nd pairing play after the trade deadline opened up the spot. Looking over the last few proposals you all have been discussing, I'm going to guess that my proposal will be equally unacceptable to you, but I'll put it out there anyway to see what you think.

Would you be interested in trading the 1OA for a combination of Hayden Fleury and Roland McKeown as the center piece? You would get two ready, cost controlled assets for your blue line. Both project to be top four defenders, with Fleury potentially being top pairing if he hits his ceiling. Both have had very good years on our AHL team and are ready to play at the NHL level according to our GM during an interview this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad