Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hi, Canes fan here.

I doubt our club/fans would be willing to move Hanifin for the 1OA if your team got it in the lottery. He has been playing extremely well since moving up from 3rd pairning to 2nd pairing play after the trade deadline opened up the spot. Looking over the last few proposals you all have been discussing, I'm going to guess that my proposal will be equally unacceptable to you, but I'll put it out there anyway to see what you think.

Would you be interested in trading the 1OA for a combination of Hayden Fleury and Roland McKeown as the center piece? You would get two ready, cost controlled assets for your blue line. Both project to be top four defenders, with Fleury potentially being top pairing if he hits his ceiling. Both have had very good years on our AHL team and are ready to play at the NHL level according to our GM during an interview this week.

I don't think there's any chance we would trade 1st overall for Hanifin. Asking for an abundance of lesser players for 1st overall would be much more off base.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Hi, Canes fan here.

I doubt our club/fans would be willing to move Hanifin for the 1OA if your team got it in the lottery. He has been playing extremely well since moving up from 3rd pairning to 2nd pairing play after the trade deadline opened up the spot. Looking over the last few proposals you all have been discussing, I'm going to guess that my proposal will be equally unacceptable to you, but I'll put it out there anyway to see what you think.

Would you be interested in trading the 1OA for a combination of Hayden Fleury and Roland McKeown as the center piece? You would get two ready, cost controlled assets for your blue line. Both project to be top four defenders, with Fleury potentially being top pairing if he hits his ceiling. Both have had very good years on our AHL team and are ready to play at the NHL level according to our GM during an interview this week.

That gets laughed at.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hi, Canes fan here.

Fleury is a guy I'd love to have in our system but not at the cost of 1OA. That's not a trade Sakic could sell to the fans after this disaster of a season.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't think there's any chance we would trade 1st overall for Hanifin.

This is a draft where I would not be terribly upset to see them make that kind of move.

As long as the Dman was high ceiling/ability and young enough to be around a while I think the Avs could sell that to the general masses. I think if they could pitch it as a way to keep Duchene while significantly helping the defense the casuals would eat it up.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
This is a draft where I would not be terribly upset to see them make that kind of move.

As long as the Dman was high ceiling/ability and young enough to be around a while I think the Avs could sell that to the general masses. I think if they could pitch it as a way to keep Duchene while significantly helping the defense the casuals would eat it up.

IMO, they're past the point of no return with Duchene. They've got to trade him. If it weren't for that, I'd probably be ok trading this years 1OA for Hanifin and just keeping Duchene.

But given how crap this team is and how Duchene is pretty much gone at this point (again IMO), keep the 1OA to replace the Duchene-shaped hole in the top 6. Trade Duchene for the defenseman we need.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
IMO, they're past the point of no return with Duchene. They've got to trade him. If it weren't for that, I'd probably be ok trading this years 1OA for Hanifin and just keeping Duchene.

But given how crap this team is and how Duchene is pretty much gone at this point (again IMO), keep the 1OA to replace the Duchene-shaped hole in the top 6. Trade Duchene for the defenseman we need.

I think may of us on here see the same with Duchene, but it is the casual fan that matters more to the Org, and even if they move him in 2018, they will have bought enough time to rehab the shock of trading a #1OA

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Ehhhhh, things were WAY worse between the Bolts and Drouin, and somehow they kissed and made up.

I'm not terribly optimistic that will happen here, but it's possible.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Let's just say I'm not holding me breath. To be frank, after everything that has transpired this season I don't want them to keep Duchene.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The casual fans are all screaming at Sakic to fix the defense. I could absolutely see them being easy to convince that trading 1OA for a defenseman is a wise decision. It's only this board that values draft picks over NHL ready players. That would actually be much easier to sell to the fans than trading Duchene for the same thing, because nobody has had time to get sentimentally attached to our draft pick yet.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The casual fans are all screaming at Sakic to fix the defense. I could absolutely see them being easy to convince that trading 1OA for a defenseman is a wise decision. It's only this board that values draft picks over NHL ready players. That would actually be much easier to sell to the fans than trading Duchene for the same thing, because nobody has had time to get sentimentally attached to our draft pick yet.

I can see that but if the D is someone the casuals have never heard of that might be a tougher sell.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Casual fans are long gone and trading our 1st pick for a dman won't bring them back.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Casual fans are long gone and trading our 1st pick for a dman won't bring them back.

There are two headlines in the paper they could see. "Matt Duchene Traded For [Defense]" or [Defense] Acquired for [A pick that became somebody they never heard of]". Which do you think will go down smoother?

I see your point. Turning the on-ice product around is the only thing that will bring people back. But Matt Duchene is a fan favorite that a LOT of people associate as the face of the franchise.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Casual Avs fans be like:

c389b744a1cc2d3a6450845894bdd584.jpg

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
IMO if Sakic cares about how he can sell the casual fan on a trade at the moment, we are pretty screwed. He should be working on building the best team possible however it is possible to do so. The fans, especially the casual one, will support a winner whenever that might happen down the road.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
IMO if Sakic cares about how he can sell the casual fan on a trade at the moment, we are pretty screwed.

When he hired Roy they spent the first year telling the media that they wanted a fast and exciting team so the casuals would be back and enjoy the games.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
When he hired Roy they spent the first year telling the media that they wanted a fast and exciting team so the casuals would be back and enjoy the games.

And we know how that worked. Maybe he is still operating with a similar philosophy, who knows? I sure hope not. It's definitely not the way I would look at it, though.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Get Callan Foote in a trade (or the pick that lands Foote).

Casual fans would know the name, and be happy about it.

Same with Lemieux's kid.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
IMO if Sakic cares about how he can sell the casual fan on a trade at the moment, we are pretty screwed. He should be working on building the best team possible however it is possible to do so. The fans, especially the casual one, will support a winner whenever that might happen down the road.

I agree but PR always factors in to a degree.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
How exactly? Because they missed on a first rounder at #23 and lost a couple of prospects? There's no reason those decisions alone should lead to what we've seen this year.

It was a lot more than the picks but it is funny he wanted his fast offensive teams but liked his big plugs.

It's awfully special to be this bad, we'll be back to our usual 20th spot in no time.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
How exactly? Because they missed on a first rounder at #23 and lost a couple of prospects? There's no reason those decisions alone should lead to what we've seen this year.

How? They started winning games that they had no business winning (outshot and outplayed every night) and believed their own hype so they ditched development and signed older UFAs because they thought they were a couple of moves away from contention. That's how.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
There are two headlines in the paper they could see. "Matt Duchene Traded For [Defense]" or [Defense] Acquired for [A pick that became somebody they never heard of]". Which do you think will go down smoother?

I see your point. Turning the on-ice product around is the only thing that will bring people back. But Matt Duchene is a fan favorite that a LOT of people associate as the face of the franchise.

it would be this easy:
"[Sakic] Solidifies Defense Without Moving One of His Stars"

more than half the fans won't even read who the defenseman is

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
How? They started winning games that they had no business winning (outshot and outplayed every night) and believed their own hype so they ditched development and signed older UFAs because they thought they were a couple of moves away from contention. That's how.

Yeah, but what does that have to do with the team this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad