Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It might but I personally don't think they'll be on the market at the same time.

The Avs should be set to trade Duchene by the drafts...either expansion or entry. They should have all of their offers in by that time and then can make the move. (As I've said previously a number of times...I think Nashville makes a ton of sense, imo)

If the Islanders are trying to get JT on a long-term extension and the Tavares camp doesn't want to do it, history tells us that they probably won't come out and say it. They'll play it all aloof and say things like "we're going to look at it this summer when John has had some time to think things through" sort of thing.

I think Garth Snow is much more likely to make a big move in an attempt to convince JT to stay rather than trade him outright at the draft.

And I think they'd go farther than that and take it into the season. If Snow loses JT, barring an insane return, he's probably done. Snow in the past has let UFAs walk or waited until the last minute to move them, and historically teams do that with their star UFAs too - such as Suter and Parise, or Kovalchuk. If Tavares won't sign this off-season, I think they'll keep him around and we'll hear rhetoric all year about him wanting to stay, making up his mind, etc., and then they either move him at the deadline after making one last pitch, or try to make a playoff run to change his mind.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It might but I personally don't think they'll be on the market at the same time.

The Avs should be set to trade Duchene by the drafts...either expansion or entry. They should have all of their offers in by that time and then can make the move. (As I've said previously a number of times...I think Nashville makes a ton of sense, imo)

If the Islanders are trying to get JT on a long-term extension and the Tavares camp doesn't want to do it, history tells us that they probably won't come out and say it. They'll play it all aloof and say things like "we're going to look at it this summer when John has had some time to think things through" sort of thing.

I think Garth Snow is much more likely to make a big move in an attempt to convince JT to stay rather than trade him outright at the draft.

Never doubt Sakic's passiveness.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Tavares will be the biggest center on the trade market and it wouldn't be considered rental (he will pretty much have a blank check wherever he goes)... it would absolutely impact Duchene's value and team would rather have Tavares. Hell, I'd trade Duchene ++ for Tavares.

It will definitely impact Duchene but it won't necessarily be a negative effect, say Boston grabs Tavares this would prompt the Habs to go all in on Duchene.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It will definitely impact Duchene but it won't necessarily be a negative effect, say Boston grabs Tavares this would prompt the Habs to go all in on Duchene.

Most teams would rather land the bigger fish... so it puts anything for Duchene on hold and would take away one potential suitor. If I was Montreal, I would pay more for Tavares. Say that happens, then other teams in the running for Tavares may not find Duchene as an upgrade for them. Boston in that instance... Duchene doesn't really help them. So they would stand pat or make a different move (maybe Landy) to counter. That just pulled one of, if not the, top suitor off the board and didn't add any teams.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

If Montreal were to go "all in" on Duchene it would have happened already when they had an opportunity to get him for three playoff runs instead of two.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Most teams would rather land the bigger fish... so it puts anything for Duchene on hold and would take away one potential suitor. If I was Montreal, I would pay more for Tavares. Say that happens, then other teams in the running for Tavares may not find Duchene as an upgrade for them. Boston in that instance... Duchene doesn't really help them. So they would stand pat or make a different move (maybe Landy) to counter. That just pulled one of, if not the, top suitor off the board and didn't add any teams.

That's just one team... the sens would be another option. Just because Tavares goes on the board and teams have a chance to get him doesn't change the fact Duchene would be a cheaper option.

If Montreal were to go "all in" on Duchene it would have happened already when they had an opportunity to get him for three playoff runs instead of two.

Circumstances would change things.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Hypothetically if Sakic refuses to budge and Duchene puts up sub-50 points next season. What do you all think happens?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's just one team... the sens would be another option. Just because Tavares goes on the board and teams have a chance to get him doesn't change the fact Duchene would be a cheaper option.

That effectively took one team out of the running, without adding any though. Duchene would be a cheaper option, but all GMs know that Tavares is the more impactful player and the player they'd rather acquire. Teams may hold out for the bigger fish, effectively limiting interest in Duchene. That is what I'd do as a GM, especially on a team like Montreal where they have a limited window.

iand22

Jun 6, 2014
On the main trade board there was a thread about who Las Vegas could have available and there are some interesting names. A poster listed these as possibilities.

Ducks - Vatanen or Manson
Wild - Scandella, Brodin or Dumba
Ilslanders - De Haan or Pulock
Habs - Davidson or Beaulieu
Panthers - Petrovic or Pysyk
Blackhawks - TVR or Pokka
Red Wings - Ouellet or Sproul
Oilers - Griffen Reinhart
Kings - Derek Forbort
Devils - John Merril
Sens - Jokkipakka (or Ceci or Methot, but he's not young)
Pens - Maattaa, Dumoulin or Pouliot
Lightning - Slater Kroekkoek
Leafs - Marincin

Since there isn't a lot available in free agency, who would we want and what would it take to get them from Vegas?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think it's important to note that was pure speculation by Dreger. He wasn't even pretending like he had any inside info. The idea the draft would be the best time was also just his opinion.

So far, I haven't seen anything to suggest this won't play out like Stamkos did in TB. In fact I would guess both sides might see that as a good model to replicate.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
But if you are a team that has a ton of assets but lack a legit go to player, it'd be worth it.

Can you name such team? Who can afford to trade the farm for John Tavares and end up a better team afterwards? Keep in mind that the Isles have Tavares at the moment and aren't exactly a success story so JT alone isn't enough.

Maybe the Habs could make a push for Galchenyuk + Sergachev + 1st ++ but even then I don't see the Isles falling for that package.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Can you name such team? Who can afford to trade the farm for John Tavares and end up a better team afterwards? Keep in mind that the Isles have Tavares at the moment and aren't exactly a success story so JT alone isn't enough.

Maybe the Habs could make a push for Galchenyuk + Sergachev + 1st ++ but even then I don't see the Isles falling for that package.

By that same logic, we can't expect teams will sell the farm for a lesser player in Duchene either.

Something like sergachev and a first for Duchene and a second is what I could see happening.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
By that same logic, we can't expect teams will sell the farm for a lesser player in Duchene either.

Duchene surely won't cost as much.

Something like sergachev and a first for Duchene and a second is what I could see happening.

If that was the case it would have happened already.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
If he's not traded this summer we're screwed when it comes to the value of the return I feel.

Also when's Sakic gonna use the final call-up, what's he waiting for? Give Bigras or Greer some more games let's go

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think it's highly likely Duchene gets traded this summer and I would be shocked if he isn't. I also wouldn't be surprised if he asks for a trade, assuming he hasn't already done so.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I mean no one wants to play with someone who doesn't want to be there. I know that Dutchy is a class act, but he is completely defeated at this point and I can't say I blame him. I hope we make a big trade and get some excitement for players who are currently playing on the team cause God knows they need it and so do we.

I think a big trade, our high draft pick and a big free agent signing could put some life back into this utterly defeated team.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think alot of the team needs to be gutted, and Duchene shouldn't survive that. He's just beyond defeated right now so I can't see how you can keep him around at this point.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think alot of the team needs to be gutted, and Duchene shouldn't survive that. He's just beyond defeated right now so I can't see how you can keep him around at this point.

Who would you gut? In an ideal world for me it would be Duchene, Barrie, Varlamov, Sakic, Sodaberg & Colborne, but at least half of those would be hard to get rid of.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't think the team needs to be gutted. I think we need to trade Landeskog/Duchene for a defenseman and replace Bednar. Make some budget signings and be patient. I'd move Barrie only if the right offer came around. He's capable of a lot more than he's shown this year if he can be properly used. I'd hope we could showcase him a bit next season before a trade.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If the team was going to be gutted they would have had to start at the deadline. Now what they are supposed to do it over a 10 day period in June? I doubt it. We'll be lucky to get one big trade and someone fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad