ATD 2017 Draft Thread IV

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
It really depends on the margins of the 2 series that matter. If either of them is within 1-2 votes, I'd try to get a few more, especially since Iceman seems to want to vote and hasn't yet.

3 of the 4 series aren't close. I'm going to go ahead and post the results.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Is the close series from the consolation bracket or the main playoffs? If it's from the main playoffs I'd give it one more day

From the consolation bracket. Half of the voters forgot to vote on one of those two series.

Anyway, I will post the results in a second. Someone please start the new series threads then, I don't have the time to do it now.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Coleman Conference Consolation Round:
Toronto Maple Austons defeat Toronto Maple Leafs 4-2
Stars: ***Maurice Richard, **Bobby Orr, *Andy Bathgate

Fisher Conference Consolation Round:
Strathcona Shadows defeat Miami Screaming Eagles 4-3
Stars: ***Bobby Hull, **Bobby Clarke, *Vyacheslav Fetisov and Aleksandr Ovechkin

Coleman Conference Final:
Chicago Shamrocks defeat West Lafayette Lion Tamers 4-3
Stars: ***Syl Apps, **Gordie Howe, *Sergey Makarov

Fisher Conference Final:
Montreal Canadiens defeat Montreal Maroons 4-3
Stars: ***Doug Harvey, **Cyclone Taylor, *Henri Richard

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Those results suggest that 3 series were close and 1 was not..

Either way, happy to move on to the finals!

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Those results suggest that 3 series were close and 1 was not..

Either way, happy to move on to the finals!

If 8 people vote for Team A in 7 games and 2 people vote for Team B in 7 games, then Team A winning in 7 games is the most accurate way to report the result of the series, but in terms of waiting for a few additional votes and the potential effect on the series winner, it is "not close" (i.e. the series winner is not in question).

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
If 8 people vote for Team A in 7 games and 2 people vote for Team B in 7 games, then Team A winning in 7 games is the most accurate way to report the result of the series, but in terms of waiting for a few additional votes and the potential effect on the series winner, it is "not close" (i.e. the series winner is not in question).

In that case, I would say team A should win in 5 or 6 games. Nearly everyone suggesting one team is winning in 7 games ought to be be reflected in the aggregate result as something more one sided IMO.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
In that case, I would say team A should win in 5 or 6 games. Nearly everyone suggesting one team is winning in 7 games ought to be be reflected in the aggregate result as something more one sided IMO.

I understand your position and I've thought about it quite a bit when I collected votes for the first playoff round. But in the end I thought it was a bit arbitrary to decide whether to announce a series as 4-0, 4-1, 4-2 or 4-3. Sure, if a result is unanimous it's easy to announce it accordingly. But everything else is a bit messy. Where do I draw the line between a 4-3 and 4-2? Between 4-2 and 4-1? Between 4-1 and 4-0? I also want to be consistent from round to round, so I can't just operate by rule of thumb.

Therefore I decided to go by the mean of the votes. If everyone says the result is 4-3 then it's 4-3. If 10 voters say it's 4-3 and 9 voters say it's 0-4 it's also 4-3 (the nine 0-4 votes and nine of the 4-3 votes cancel each other out). Is it perfect? No, obviously not.

The precise voting results (minus the info who voted how) will be posted at the end, so you can see for yourself what they actually were and how I dealt with them.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

I agree with you here. When compiling votes, I always took into consideration how close a series was to the other series. I wanted a realistic breakdown, so in round one there would be a few series that ended in 4, 5, 6 and 7, ordered by how close the voting was.

Every single series in the main bracket from round 2 on has been 7 games, hasn't it? I really appreciate that we have an objective outsider like Theokritos to do this work for us, but this isn't how I would do it.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Maybe my key to winning this draft was to cash in on the winning lottery ticket I purchased in Evgeni Malkin. I'm reading compelling cases in the HOH section that he's officially at a Forsberg level. I really regret not pushing him like he deserved.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Maybe my key to winning this draft was to cash in on the winning lottery ticket I purchased in Evgeni Malkin. I'm reading compelling cases in the HOH section that he's officially at a Forsberg level. I really regret not pushing him like he deserved.

His run really helps though.He was a "disappointment" in last year's playoffs, so his star wasn't shining as brightly as it is now.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Sure, but if he's about 19th among centers now, he didn't get there from 35th, he got there from 21st-22nd.

I'd need to see it in terms of tiers, but I'm sure Malkin was a steal where you took him.

Also, many centers between Forsberg and Malkin brings more than pure offense.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
When are we planning on voting for the Finals? I ask because I'm leaving on vacation for a couple of days at the start of next week, and I'm not sure if I'll have internet access.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
When are we planning on voting for the Finals? I ask because I'm leaving on vacation for a couple of days at the start of next week, and I'm not sure if I'll have internet access.

I was kind of leaving it up to you and HT18 to run out of steam so with that in mind when would you like voting to open?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Tuesday very early in the morning.We could open voting Monday evening, how does that sound?

Or we coud continue the series longer, I only leave for two days, going to some cabin up north.

Let's tentatively plan for voting to open Monday night/Tuesday morning, and we can check back on Monday morning. If there was a ton of debate over the weekend and we need more time then we can extend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad