At 15th Overall (via Trade) the Red Wings Select G Sebastian Cossa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Only thing I know is that it is impossible to know if any of these two goalies will pan out. Both them could be duds. I have seen goalies win the Vezina at age 22 and be out of the league a few of years later. So arguing about which is the best prospect of two 18 year old goalies is kinda moot.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Only thing I know is that it is impossible to know if any of these two goalies will pan out. Both them could be duds. I have seen goalies win the Vezina at age 22 and be out of the league a few of years later. So arguing about which is the best prospect of two 18 year old goalies is kinda moot.
I was a Caps fan at the time, I thought Jim Carey was gonna carry us to at least to the conference finals. BTW, he was 21 when he won the Vezina.

Reactions: RRhoads

PostFriend

Nov 3, 2016
I think Wallstedt is an elite prospect, but if those SHL stats were so impressive, surely Gustaf Lindvall, who has put up better stats than that for like 5 straight years in the SHL, would be sniffing around the NHL by now.

And this is why I don't really put much stock in basic goalie stats until the AHL where you tend to get a much better picture of how a goalie will hold up.

The answer is simply on him. 6’0” and a late bloomer. Played in the Swedish 3rd league for around seven years ago. Will turn to 31 in two months. Teams find more interesting prospects on the road.

I agree with your thoughts about facing AHL. But I don’t get why top juniors from WHL for sure will provide better in AHL then top juniors from SHL, with their experience from competing against men. Just my thoughts.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The answer is simply on him. 6’0” and a late bloomer. Played in the Swedish 3rd league for around seven years ago. Will turn to 31 in two months. Teams find more interesting prospects on the road.

I agree with your thoughts about facing AHL. But I don’t get why top juniors from WHL for sure will provide better in AHL then top juniors from SHL, with their experience from competing against men. Just my thoughts.

Nobody knows who will fare better. If we knew for sure, we'd all be collecting paychecks from NHL teams.

Personally, I wanted the Wings to draft Wallstedt. But I'm also excited about Cossa.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nobody knows who will fare better. If we knew for sure, we'd all be collecting paychecks from NHL teams.

Personally, I wanted the Wings to draft Wallstedt. But I'm also excited about Cossa.

It was nice to see it go in a way it finally went. The REACH.

That was a STATEMENT to draft Cossa by trading up. It wasn't like, "somebody picked the another guy in front of us and the we just got the other". They WENT AFTER him, when BOTH were there, because they knew there was something more special in Cossa than other - still proably very good - Wallstedt.

We did want THIS guy.

Not just another of them.

When Yzerman is doing these ballsy takes, they seem to turn to "Moritz Seider" as an example. Take the guys you want. Never look back.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am trying to figure out a place in my head to put Wallstedt. Going into the draft I felt like he was a consensus BGA. After the draft some things came out that put the two more neck and neck but emotionally I went into the draft thinking Wallstedt had the highest celling. But you guys are right they not only picked Cossa over Wallstedt they traded up to do it. I admire the determination and the research and thought that must have went into that move.

It will be fun to watch the whole Wallstedt vs Cossa thing evolve. I have no doubt they are both going to be good. I am pumped we have a legit goalie prospect with an elite ceiling. I feel like we have never had that in my lifetime as a wings fan.

Trying my best to evict Wallstedt from the narrative lol and just enjoy Cossa's curve and his eventual arrival.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Cossa has been a top-end WHL goaltender his whole career so far and I think all signs point toward to him being an impact starting goalie in the NHL. He's got an elite technical prowess, high IQ/vision, and a very strong mental game. Can't see Yzerman going wrong here. I love the pick at #15.

I personally don't care if Wallstedt becomes better or worse than Cossa because of how strongly I believe Cossa will be a damn good goalie. That's what matters to me at least.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Cossa has been a top-end WHL goaltender his whole career so far and I think all signs point toward to him being an impact starting goalie in the NHL. He's got an elite technical prowess, high IQ/vision, and a very strong mental game. Can't see Yzerman going wrong here. I love the pick at #15.

I personally don't care if Wallstedt becomes better or worse than Cossa because of how strongly I believe Cossa will be a damn good goalie. That's what matters to me at least.

If they both become studs, then we have a good tandem like Beezer/Richter back in the 90s, or dangle one as trade bait.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I’d rather have a 6:06 goalie who is athletic than one who is 6:03 and not athletic. Cossa has great stats and I assume Wallstedt does too. I’ll take Cossa every time
We measure goalies by time now? If so I want one that's 7:30 (crazy) and starts on time EST. :DD

Reactions: Realgud

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
Who was the last goalie we drafted that panned out to be something good for us? I'm asking this seriously, because I can't remember and I don't want to look through draft results. Does Mrazek count?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah Mrazek is the only NHL guy we have drafted since Howard and Mccolloum.
Here is a list of goalies we have drafted over the years: Elite Prospects - Players drafted by Detroit Red Wings

Goalie drafting is the hardest drafting in NHL.

No reason to point out stats, every team has bad goalie drafting stats. More than common the golie drafted somewhere, will breakout elsewhere.

What comes to Red wings, in last 30 years they have drafted Chris Osgood, who did win 2 Cups as starter (1998, 2008), was involved in 2 Stanley Cup losses (1995, 2009) and won one as a backup (1997).

There's not many organizations, who have completed the same. If you thinks therë's many, please name them.

And BTW, our "worst GM of salary cap era" drafted this guy - did thrown him to waivers - and brought him back to win a Cup.

Reactions: RRhoads

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

No reason to point out stats, every team has bad goalie drafting stats. More than common the golie drafted somewhere, will breakout elsewhere.

What comes to Red wings, in last 30 years they have drafted Chris Osgood, who did win 2 Cups as starter (1998, 2008), was involved in 2 Stanley Cup losses (1995, 2009) and won one as a backup (1997).

There's not many organizations, who have completed the same. If you thinks therë's many, please name them.

And BTW, our "worst GM of salary cap era" drafted this guy - did thrown him to waivers - and brought him back to win a Cup.

So what you are saying, is that in 30 years the Wings have drafted one good goalie.

Also, Holland was only Head of Amateur Scouting in 1991, so he didn't "draft" Osgood.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021

Drafting of goaltenders is on its way up in terms of how easy it is to predict

the days of a goaltender being a crap shoot in the first round are over; while still very hard to predict, it certainly isnt at the level it once was.

Wallstedt, Cossa, Knights, Askarov, etc... these are all incredible prospects who were rightfully taken first round. Ten years ago some of these guys likely fall to the third or further, due to goaltender bias.

Reactions: Bench

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I am trying to figure out a place in my head to put Wallstedt. Going into the draft I felt like he was a consensus BGA. After the draft some things came out that put the two more neck and neck but emotionally I went into the draft thinking Wallstedt had the highest celling. But you guys are right they not only picked Cossa over Wallstedt they traded up to do it. I admire the determination and the research and thought that must have went into that move.

It will be fun to watch the whole Wallstedt vs Cossa thing evolve. I have no doubt they are both going to be good. I am pumped we have a legit goalie prospect with an elite ceiling. I feel like we have never had that in my lifetime as a wings fan.

Trying my best to evict Wallstedt from the narrative lol and just enjoy Cossa's curve and his eventual arrival.

Beofre the draft Bob Mackenzie said something along the lines that with Wallstedts weaker finish to the year and Cossa coming on strong it was like 60-40 in favour of Wallstedt. 3 months before that, Wallstedt was the number one guy. By draft day pretty much anyone who was in the know, knew it was a coinflip over who would go first

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Beofre the draft Bob Mackenzie said something along the lines that with Wallstedts weaker finish to the year and Cossa coming on strong it was like 60-40 in favour of Wallstedt. 3 months before that, Wallstedt was the number one guy. By draft day pretty much anyone who was in the know, knew it was a coinflip over who would go first
He was projected top 10 and somehow he dropped to 20

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad