At 15th Overall (via Trade) the Red Wings Select G Sebastian Cossa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'd still take Wallstedt's .920 SV% in the SHL over Cossa. Still debatable which one will be better in the long run, but Wallstedt will make the NHL first.

For someone that criticizes Nedeljkovic over his lack of size and athleticism, I’d think you’d prioritize Cossa because of his world class size and athleticism.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
For someone that criticizes Nedeljkovic over his lack of size and athleticism, I’d think you’d prioritize Cossa because of his world class size and athleticism.
I didn't say Cossa was bad, I'm saying I'd rather have the kid playing in a pro league. Wallstedt will be in the NHL before Cossa, I'll bet any amount of money on that. 19YO and he's 8th in the SHL in SV%.

Also, Jesper isn't small either.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
I didn't say Cossa was bad, I'm saying I'd rather have the kid playing in a pro league. Wallstedt will be in the NHL before Cossa, I'll bet any amount of money on that. 19YO and he's 8th in the SHL in SV%.

I’ll take the guy that Stevie Y thinks is better… Has hit home runs with his 1st 3 first round picks

Reactions: Sentinel and WaW

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I’ll take the guy that Stevie Y thinks is better… Has hit home runs with his 1st 3 first round picks
It was Osgood that really wanted Cossa over Wallstedt.

Wallstedt was also the safer of the 2 goalie picks having played 23 games in the SHL prior to the draft. We'll see. I think it'll take Cossa 3 more seasons (including this one) to make the NHL full time so it'll be a while before we can really judge this pick. Maybe 5 years....

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I’d assume Wallstedt probably looks at coming to North America next year, but might find himself in the AHL. Coincidentally that’s where Cossa will likely end up as well.

Just because one came up in a country that has a direct route to playing professional hockey in a men’s league as a junior aged player doesn’t mean that the one coming up in Canadian Juniors is a less impressive talent.

While yes, if we are looking at stats and quality of competition Wallstedt would have a more impressive resume, but that’s only because Cossa doesn’t have the ability to build that same resume. International competition should tell us a lot more in the coming year.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It was Osgood that really wanted Cossa over Wallstedt.

Wallstedt was also the safer of the 2 goalie picks having played 23 games in the SHL prior to the draft. We'll see. I think it'll take Cossa 3 more seasons (including this one) to make the NHL full time so it'll be a while before we can really judge this pick. Maybe 5 years....

Osgood doesn’t have a role with the Red Wings scouting department. He works for Bally’s.

Draper asked Osgood to participate in an interview to gauge how Cossa handled himself and discussed the specifics of playing goalie at the NHL. There hasn’t been anything published to suggest it was Osgood’s pick that I’m aware of. I’m open to sources if you have one.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Osgood doesn’t have a role with the Red Wings scouting department. He works for Bally’s.

Draper asked Osgood to participate in an interview to gauge how Cossa handled himself and discussed the specifics of playing goalie at the NHL. There hasn’t been anything published to suggest it was Osgood’s pick that I’m aware of. I’m open to sources if you have one.
Just laying the groundwork to blame Ozzy in the event that Yzerman's first rd folly goes belly up.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I’d assume Wallstedt probably looks at coming to North America next year, but might find himself in the AHL. Coincidentally that’s where Cossa will likely end up as well.

Just because one came up in a country that has a direct route to playing professional hockey in a men’s league as a junior aged player doesn’t mean that the one coming up in Canadian Juniors is a less impressive talent.

While yes, if we are looking at stats and quality of competition Wallstedt would have a more impressive resume, but that’s only because Cossa doesn’t have the ability to build that same resume. International competition should tell us a lot more in the coming year.
Of course they both start in the AHL next season, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jesper got some NHL games in next season because Talbot's contract expires in 2023. (Cam will be 36 when it expires.)

Red Wings also don't have a goalie signed past 2023, but I doubt Cossa will be NHL ready after one season in the AHL. I could be wrong, we'll see. Goalie prospects are the hardest to judge out of all positions.

PostFriend

Nov 3, 2016

He’s 6th in SV% close to 5th. And, he’s 3rd in GAA close to first! Two shootouts, top two! He is the youngest goalie in the league!!! Luleå isn’t a top team so far, good to know.

Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He’s 6th in SV% close to 5th. And, he’s 3rd in GAA close to first! Two shootouts, top two! He is the youngest goalie in the league!!! Luleå isn’t a top team so far, good to know.
OK, I stand corrected. But that just strengthens my point. He was the safer pick, especially if you're going to trade up.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I’d rather have a 6:06 goalie who is athletic than one who is 6:03 and not athletic. Cossa has great stats and I assume Wallstedt does too. I’ll take Cossa every time

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Just laying the groundwork to blame Ozzy in the event that Yzerman's first rd folly goes belly up.
That’s exactly what’s happening, bud. And can you believe these rookies Raymond and Seider only playing well to cover golden boy Stevie Y’s ass? When Yzerman gets the canning he so richly deserves, you can bet those two will drop with the whole playing well act. I feel bad for Cossa, if only he was drafted by another GM, he’d maybe have a shot. Detroit will never win with a loser like Yzerman, right???

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
2nd straight statistical ugh Game for Cossa last night… gave up 4 Goals on 24 Shots in a 4-3 OT Loss… Let’s see how the young kid handles it

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
He has done great here, but Connolly, Drouin, and Koekkoek say hi. He isn't infallible.

He's not infallible, but there's a huge difference in the time he had on the job.

Connolly was his first ever pick. BRAND NEW GM! And Connolly prior to his draft year was still thought of as a legit top 10 guy and probably the top goalscorer of his draft. Dude got injured and became kind of a top 10 bust as a 3rd line goalscorer. It sucks but that draft in general wasn't that great.
NHL Draft Prospect Preview: Brett Connolly

Brett Connolly and the disaster that was the 1st Round of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft

Drouin was that top playmaking winger that was supposed to play with that top goalscoring center and that top pair 2-way defenseman. It made perfect sense to compliment Stamkos with a guy that was arguably the 2nd or 3rd most gifted player in a pretty good draft. Here's a scouting report from 2013. If you tell me you're not picking this guy to play alongside your 50 goalscorer franchise center then I'm calling you a f***ing liar.
Jonathan Drouin | Jonathan Drouin Profile | Jonathan Drouin Scouting Report 2013

Koekkoek was projected by pretty much everyone to be far better than he was. Injuries really derailed the guy's career, but also just about every scout was wrong about him. It happens. Boyd Devereaux was a 6th overall pick at one point, FFS.
Here's yet another old scouting report.
2012 NHL Draft Scouting Report: Slater Koekkoek

What people that focus on Yzerman's failures early in his career forget to mention is that the man has obviously learned from his mistakes and improved on them. That is the hallmark of someone who is very good at their job. Compare that to the last guy who sat in that seat and it's a night and day difference.

Reactions: Konnan511

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He has done great here, but Connolly, Drouin, and Koekkoek say hi. He isn't infallible.

Everyone points to Connolly as a bad pick but theres one player in the next ten picks that I would consider better than him in Jeff Skinner, who was considered a massive reach at the time and some had projected in the second round. Tarasenko was ten picks later but that was prime KHL threat time so its a weird comparison. Then you get a few more players comparable to Connoly. That pick is only knocked by people who want to make Yzerman seem worse than he is

Where do you get that Wallstedt ISN'T athletic? The dude is a f***ing beast.

Walstedt is athletic in the sense that he was highly rated and a first round goalie. In comparison to other top goalie prospects that is his biggest knock and was the talk leading up to the draft that people thought he could fall. NHL teams didnt think he was athletic enough.

"Hes a f***ing beast" positionally, not because hes athletic

PostFriend

Nov 3, 2016
Where do you get that Wallstedt ISN'T athletic? The dude is a f***ing beast.

One plays junior hockey against kids 1, 2 and even 3 years younger. 13 games, 2.03 GAA and 0.927 SV%. Playing for a top team in that junior league.

The other one plays senior pro hockey in one of the world's top three leagues against men 5, 10, 15 and even 20 years older with experience from the NHL, KHL and different national teams. Also players on loan from NHL teams play in the league for their development. 12 games, 1.69 GAA and 0.925 SV%. Playing for a middle team in the league.

With that said, of course, scouts and experts know which of them has the highest ceiling!?!
In addition, SHL is a league where junior goalies do fantastic with weak athletics and also lots of issues... :banghead:

Sometimes it's hard to understand the circus around the assessment of prospects and specially goalies. But for sure, Yzerplan is law and everyone believes in it. So that's fine. The future will provide the answer ...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
One plays junior hockey against kids 1, 2 and even 3 years younger. 13 games, 2.03 GAA and 0.927 SV%. Playing for a top team in that junior league.

The other one plays senior pro hockey in one of the world's top three leagues against men 5, 10, 15 and even 20 years older with experience from the NHL, KHL and different national teams. Also players on loan from NHL teams play in the league for their development. 12 games, 1.69 GAA and 0.925 SV%. Playing for a middle team in the league.

With that said, of course, scouts and experts know which of them has the highest ceiling!?!
In addition, SHL is a league where junior goalies do fantastic with weak athletics and also lots of issues... :banghead:

Sometimes it's hard to understand the circus around the assessment of prospects and specially goalies. But for sure, Yzerplan is law and everyone believes in it. So that's fine. The future will provide the answer ...

I think Wallstedt is an elite prospect, but if those SHL stats were so impressive, surely Gustaf Lindvall, who has put up better stats than that for like 5 straight years in the SHL, would be sniffing around the NHL by now.

And this is why I don't really put much stock in basic goalie stats until the AHL where you tend to get a much better picture of how a goalie will hold up.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad