At 15th Overall (via Trade) the Red Wings Select G Sebastian Cossa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why do people always want to act like Canadian Juniors and AHL are bad for players to develop in, when the majority of players have taken this route for a very long time? What is Cossa going to be better prepared with playing in lower Euro Pro Leagues vs the AHL? Even if he had to go back to juniors, that still isn't a negative either as he can learn to get a high workload in and work on his weak areas.

Far as I can tell the AHL is similar to the KHL and I tend to the think the AHL is still better, seeing as lots of guys put up similar stats in the KHL and the AHL. I think the SHL is probably a tad lower than both the AHL and KHL, and then each league in the other Countries is a tad worse and beyond than that.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why do people always want to act like Canadian Juniors and AHL are bad for players to develop in, when the majority of players have taken this route for a very long time? What is Cossa going to be better prepared with playing in lower Euro Pro Leagues vs the AHL? Even if he had to go back to juniors, that still isn't a negative either as he can learn to get a high workload in and work on his weak areas.

For goalies, I don't see that as a bad thing to be in Canadian juniors.

Far as I can tell the AHL is similar to the KHL and I tend to the think the AHL is still better, seeing as lots of guys put up similar stats in the KHL and the AHL. I think the SHL is probably a tad lower than both the AHL and KHL, and then each league in the other Countries is a tad worse and beyond than that.

AHL has that Travel problem NOW. You are looking the on the history. There is that new Pacific Division, which has stretched the old Central. 10 years ago all teams were much more near each other in New England area mostly + Great lakes.

Those trips with bus will take a lightyear. Those are killers for development. At least in KHL they travel with planes like NHL. But for prospect, it could be too tough level. So for development, league which is tough for rest, is not the best possible league.

What Yzerman said about Sweden being most optimal for development, I understand it totally. Their style of the play generally at SHL is a bit more individualistic and 1-on-1 hockey, than in Finland, which is more of systems. Nothing against systems, but Swedish league prepares better for the NHL. Just heard this kind of talk, from Finnish National team coach. And also, the area for Travel is smaller than AHL has ever been. So players bus trips are mostly short and they always get enough rest. Everything there is optimal.

Goalies are still a different ballgame. There I think best development is to be in the best possible league. Face night after night best quality shots. Juniors league won't possible prepare for that. But still, important for goalies is the rink of size. European goalies always struggle first at NHL-sized rink. Shots will come from different angles. KHL is only which will offer NHL-sized rinks at Europe, so that would be the only place I would send my prospect goalie, or keep him at North America.

But for goalies, the developmental plan is totally different than for skaters. For goalies, I'd prefer North America, if there are no KHL spots in a small rink like SKA St. Petersburg. For skaters, I'd prefer Sweden.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
For goalies, I don't see that as a bad thing to be in Canadian juniors.

AHL has that Travel problem NOW. You are looking the on the history. There is that new Pacific Division, which has stretched the old Central. 10 years ago all teams were much more near each other in New England area mostly + Great lakes.

Those trips with bus will take a lightyear. Those are killers for development. At least in KHL they travel with planes like NHL. But for prospect, it could be too tough level. So for development, league which is tough for rest, is not the best possible league.

What Yzerman said about Sweden being most optimal for development, I understand it totally. Their style of the play generally at SHL is a bit more individualistic and 1-on-1 hockey, than in Finland, which is more of systems. Nothing against systems, but Swedish league prepares better for the NHL. Just heard this kind of talk, from Finnish National team coach. And also, the area for Travel is smaller than AHL has ever been. So players bus trips are mostly short and they always get enough rest. Everything there is optimal.

Goalies are still a different ballgame. There I think best development is to be in the best possible league. Face night after night best quality shots. Juniors league won't possible prepare for that. But still, important for goalies is the rink of size. European goalies always struggle first at NHL-sized rink. Shots will come from different angles. KHL is only which will offer NHL-sized rinks at Europe, so that would be the only place I would send my prospect goalie, or keep him at North America.

But for goalies, the developmental plan is totally different than for skaters. For goalies, I'd prefer North America, if there are no KHL spots in a small rink like SKA St. Petersburg. For skaters, I'd prefer Sweden.

Travel doesn't hinder development in my opinion. Players aren't training 24/7 anyhow, plus they can sleep on the plane/bus rides.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Being in juniors while taking what your learning while working on weaknesses into a game setting where you won’t get lit up while working on said weakness isn’t the worst thing. If you’re changing your game and it’s not working yet while allowing 4-5 goals a game at a pro level, your leash won’t be too long.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Juniors are a bad place to develop in if you’ve proven that you’re well above the talent level of the people in the league. For a lot of prospects, playing through their D+2 season isn’t a bad thing because they don’t excel at an extremely high level. Cossa is showing that the challenge at the WHL level is pretty well beneath him.

As for the AHL, I don’t think anyone thinks it’s a bad developmental league. There were just questions or uncertainty in Cossa’s eligibility for the AHL next year. Considering he appears to be eligible, the AHL would be the absolute best place for him if he proves to be up to the challenge

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Cossa had 52 career starts in the WHL coming into this season. He will get that many this season, which is exactly what he needs at this point in his development. I think that’s as important as anything else.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Juniors are a bad place to develop in if you’ve proven that you’re well above the talent level of the people in the league. For a lot of prospects, playing through their D+2 season isn’t a bad thing because they don’t excel at an extremely high level. Cossa is showing that the challenge at the WHL level is pretty well beneath him.

As for the AHL, I don’t think anyone thinks it’s a bad developmental league. There were just questions or uncertainty in Cossa’s eligibility for the AHL next year. Considering he appears to be eligible, the AHL would be the absolute best place for him if he proves to be up to the challenge

I don't think it's BAD, but when there is options, like Sweden, you should consider them.

On most cases AHL is the only realistic option, so some part of the prospects will go there.

On Cossa's case, I don't see Europe as any kind of option because of the rink size. But like I said, goalies are special cases, thought very differently. NA plan works. They don't have to play all games etc. if you think the AHL travel and rest.

I'm quite fine now, wherever anyone of our kids are, Yzerman is on the map of these things. He used heavily Syracuse on Tampa days, but it had optimal location at East, quite near of most AHL opponents. It's not the same at Grand Rapids in becoming 32-team league, which is very far from everybody. AHL central if far from East and far from Pacific, also there are two teams like Manitoba and Texas Stars very near of Grand Rapids. It's the shittiest division for Travelling, no matter what you do. You can't change geographics. No wonder that he talked Sweden as the best possible developmental league.

Last edited:

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

I've always looked at the KHL, AHL, and SHL as being roughly equivalent. I think where the AHL has an advantage as a developmental league is that it lets players get used to smaller ice and the huge travel issues of NA hockey, and by being places with an affiliate club of the NHL team. You don't end up with issues like prospects only getting 4 minutes of playing time a game in leagues that refuse to play anyone under 25 (I'm looking at you SHL).

I think the skill level of Canadian juniors is actually higher than almost any other professional league, but you aren't playing against grown men. That's not such a big deal for goalies. I think the bigger deal for goalies is getting used to the significantly more intense seasons and in-game action in the NHL/AHL. That's why I think the AHL is a better development league for goalies. They get exposed to smaller ice, more intense games, longer seasons, harder travel.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
The only concern with CHL I have is the top talent tends to accumulate and dominate the competition. So, for the goalie it might be a lot of spectating at least until playoff time. But if he is doing post secondary, getting regular starts and coaching it's probably for the best and I hope we see him at the Memorial Cup!

October 29th vs Winnipeg - probably the biggest test he'll get.

Last edited:

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I don't think it's BAD, but when there is options, like Sweden, you should consider them.

On most cases AHL is the only realistic option, so some part of the prospects will go there.

On Cossa's case, I don't see Europe as any kind of option because of the rink size. But like I said, goalies are special cases, thought very differently. NA plan works. They don't have to play all games etc. if you think the AHL travel and rest.

I'm quite fine now, wherever anyone of our kids are, Yzerman is on the map of these things. He used heavily Syracuse on Tampa days, but it had optimal location at East, quite near of most AHL opponents. It's not the same at Grand Rapids in becoming 32-team league, which is very far from everybody. AHL central if far from East and far from Pacific, also there are two teams like Manitoba and Texas Stars very near of Grand Rapids. It's the shittiest division for Travelling, no matter what you do. You can't change geographics. No wonder that he talked Sweden as the best possible developmental league.
Cossa will be in Juniors until he’s AHL eligible…the way it should be

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If Edvinsson is elite and we can get some true elite forward (Shane Wright) plus our cap space we win another cup soon

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I was bouncing between the Oil Kings game to watch Cossa and the Ice game to watch Savoie/Geekie/Lambos/etc. today. Of course Cossa loses when I watch :(

In seriousness, I think it was a tricky type of game. On 5v5 Edmonton controlled a lot of the possession and mitigated chances well, so he wasn't making a ton of saves. That said, they also took a lot of penalties, so he faced a lot of powerplay looks.

The first goal I'm not sure there was a ton he could do. The second was a good shot from the left half wall, but one I think he'd like to have back. It wasn't the same angle that we saw him struggle with in training camp, but shot from a similar-ish part of the ice. Probably an area of improvement for him.

That said, he also made a really nice stop on a breakaway, and exhibited some really impressive lateral movement on wraparounds and some cross ice-passes. Not his best game of the season, but in context I don't think it was all bad.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
, Because they changed drafting rules, the will be almost no chance for us to get Wright.

The new rules gave the Wings a better chance of landing the top pick, but only by a bit. I'm more looking forward to next year, since it looks like there will be two phenoms available in Matvei Mitchkov and Connor Bedard.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Travel doesn't hinder development in my opinion. Players aren't training 24/7 anyhow, plus they can sleep on the plane/bus rides.

Travel hurt operational effectiveness in my 20 years in the military, the longer the movement, the less capable soldiers were at the moment/beyond. Longer stretches had more lasting impacts, and this was all common knowledge. We never had to explain why this was bad, because we all knew why... and some of us had some pretty bad brain injuries. What's your excuse?

It sounds like you've never driven out of your county, and you're totally unfamiliar with sleep science. Some might even mention the xenophobic aspects. Just a terrible take.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Travel hurt operational effectiveness in my 20 years in the military, the longer the movement, the less capable soldiers were at the moment/beyond. Longer stretches had more lasting impacts, and this was all common knowledge. We never had to explain why this was bad, because we all knew why... and some of us had some pretty bad brain injuries. What's your excuse?

It sounds like you've never driven out of your county, and you're totally unfamiliar with sleep science. Some might even mention the xenophobic aspects. Just a terrible take.

Most of the players training happens in the offseason, not during the season, so this really makes no sense. Travel doesn't stop them from working out between games, or working on stuff that improves their games.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Most of the players training happens in the offseason, not during the season, so this really makes no sense. Travel doesn't stop them from working out between games, or working on stuff that improves their games.

It's not just lost workout time. The body having to continually adjust to shifting time zones/environments/etc. is taxing. It's why the Wings lobbied for years to have the west coast swings massaged to give them them more time to acclimate themselves to going out and coming back, and why they so badly wanted moved to the Eastern conference. Shielding a kid from that sort of travel for an extra year or so might not be the worst thing.

Reactions: Henkka

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Why is it that every prospect/draft pick thread on HFBoards has to turn into a referendum on the CHL as a developmental league? More players come from the CHL than any other league, and the NHL loves the virtually free development their prospects get. Deal with it.

In my experience it's more often than not some American fans who push the anti-CHL narrative the hardest, too, and that really isn't surprising. Annoying yes, but not surprising.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Why is it that every prospect/draft pick thread on HFBoards has to turn into a referendum on the CHL as a developmental league? More players come from the CHL than any other league, and the NHL loves the virtually free development their prospects get. Deal with it.

In my experience it's more often than not some American fans who push the anti-CHL narrative the hardest, too, and that really isn't surprising. Annoying yes, but not surprising.

Well, the CHL has 60 teams. One would hope it produces the most NHL players with that large of a talent pool in the country with the most NHL players being from. I also don't think there is any denying that the CHL has several players every year who are simply too good for the league and would be better suited playing in a more difficult league, as some may argue is Cossas case. It has nothing to do with the CHL being a poor developmental league and everything to do with the level of play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad