At 15th Overall (via Trade) the Red Wings Select G Sebastian Cossa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
46a.jpg
Without music?

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I mean regardless of the defense he’s still stopping 23-24 shots a night on average. It’s not a lot but he’s still getting a good amount of reps in. I wonder if there’s anything our scouts told him to specifically work on over there that he is. Excited for him in the AHL next year.

Cenzhin

Mar 2, 2018
Calgary
I thought he had to play in junior or the NHL if he stayed in NA.

Auston Matthews spent his D+1 season in Switzerland. He was fine.
He was in the NHL after he was drafted. He played his draft year there. Also one prospect out of thousands. What advantage would the Swiss League be over the AHL?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He was in the NHL after he was drafted. He played his draft year there. Also one prospect out of thousands. What advantage would the Swiss League be over the AHL?

If he's eligible for the AHL - great.
But I thought he had to wait until his D+3 year to play in the AHL.
For example, Cossa could play in a Euro pro league right now, but isn't eligible for the AHL.
Or Rasmussen had to spend all his D+2 year in the NHL or go back to the WHL because he wasn't permitted to play in the AHL.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Out of curiousity, I checked on Wallstedt.
4-2 2.20 .904.

Would it be a good idea to send Cossa to the Swiss League next year?

If Cossa can tear up the WHL like that all year long he should be splitting time between the NHL/AHL next year.

As far as I know, if a 19 year old will turn 20 before Dec. 31 during the season, they aren't bound by the 20 year old rule for that season. Cossa should be in the AHL next year.

Reactions: MBH and lilidk

Cenzhin

Mar 2, 2018
Calgary
If he's eligible for the AHL - great.
But I thought he had to wait until his D+3 year to play in the AHL.
For example, Cossa could play in a Euro pro league right now, but isn't eligible for the AHL.
Or Rasmussen had to spend all his D+2 year in the NHL or go back to the WHL because he wasn't permitted to play in the AHL.
The CHL uses birth year instead of the NHL's September 15th cutoff so if the player turns 20 before Jan.1 then they can't play in the CHL without overage status. That's why guys like Svechnikov(October birthday) and Mantha(September birthday) played only one year of junior after being drafted versus Rasmussen(April birthday).

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If Cossa can tear up the WHL like that all year long he should be splitting time between the NHL/AHL next year.

As far as I know, if a 19 year old will turn 20 before Dec. 31 during the season, they aren't bound by the 20 year old rule for that season. Cossa should be in the AHL next year.

Ah, OK. Wasn't sure about the cut-off date.
Svech was able to play in his D+2 year. Ras wasn't.
Cossa is a November birthday.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Yeah Yzerman already said at one of his pressers, Was that he'd play this year in Edmonton and then hopefully next season in Grand Rapids.Pretty sure that's why he went ahead and signed him early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad