At 15th Overall (via Trade) the Red Wings Select G Sebastian Cossa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I think some got spooked he'd pull a Kari Lehtonen.

giphy.gif

We’re getting old, man.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
So what you are saying, is that in 30 years the Wings have drafted one good goalie.

Also, Holland was only Head of Amateur Scouting in 1991, so he didn't "draft" Osgood.

Wait! Didn't Ken Holland just do an interview with John Keating and Chris Osgood on a live broadcast talking about how Kenny discovered Ozzie and how their friendship developed?

I'm gonna have to go with the story that came directly out of Ken Holland and Chris Osgood's mouth over some weird internet rumor. You may need to do some fact checking on your claims before spreading more internet gossip...

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Wait! Didn't Ken Holland just do an interview with John Keating and Chris Osgood on a live broadcast talking about how Kenny discovered Ozzie and how their friendship developed?

I'm gonna have to go with the story that came directly out of Ken Holland and Chris Osgood's mouth over some weird internet rumor. You may need to do some fact checking on your claims before spreading more internet gossip...

huh? Holland being the Wings amateur scouting head in 1991 is a verifiable fact not a "weird internet rumor"

doesn't mean the interview isn't true too

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Everyone points to Connolly as a bad pick but theres one player in the next ten picks that I would consider better than him in Jeff Skinner, who was considered a massive reach at the time and some had projected in the second round. Tarasenko was ten picks later but that was prime KHL threat time so its a weird comparison. Then you get a few more players comparable to Connoly. That pick is only knocked by people who want to make Yzerman seem worse than he is

Walstedt is athletic in the sense that he was highly rated and a first round goalie. In comparison to other top goalie prospects that is his biggest knock and was the talk leading up to the draft that people thought he could fall. NHL teams didnt think he was athletic enough.

"Hes a f***ing beast" positionally, not because hes athletic

I know this is going to sound like sacrilege because of my avatar.. but given the choice between positional goalie and athletic goalie, I take positional 100% of the time. I'm all for Cossa because he's very good positionally as well. Cossa is going to be positional AND athletic like Carey Price (who coincidentally is my favorite goalie). But guys who make it solely because of athletic talent (Jonathan Quick, Petr Mrazek I'm looking at you) scare the bejabbers out of me even when they're great.

Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I know this is going to sound like sacrilege because of my avatar.. but given the choice between positional goalie and athletic goalie, I take positional 100% of the time. I'm all for Cossa because he's very good positionally as well. Cossa is going to be positional AND athletic like Carey Price (who coincidentally is my favorite goalie). But guys who make it solely because of athletic talent (Jonathan Quick, Petr Mrazek I'm looking at you) scare the bejabbers out of me even when they're great.
Positional goalies give you less heartburn. Ned's growing on me, but I'd still rather have a goalie that plays big and is just....there, in the right spot.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Everyone points to Connolly as a bad pick but theres one player in the next ten picks that I would consider better than him in Jeff Skinner, who was considered a massive reach at the time and some had projected in the second round. Tarasenko was ten picks later but that was prime KHL threat time so its a weird comparison. Then you get a few more players comparable to Connoly. That pick is only knocked by people who want to make Yzerman seem worse than he is

wait, serious? I'm pretty sure I would take Granlund, Fowler, and Schwartz over Connolly, too. Campbell and Forbort aren't exactly far behind, either.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Reactions: SantosHalper

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Weird call by Yzerman going with Cossa over Wahlstedt. Hopefully it wasn’t a galaxy brain move that looks really stupid in 5 years.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Weird call by Yzerman going with Cossa over Wahlstedt. Hopefully it wasn’t a galaxy brain move that looks really stupid in 5 years.
Yzerman's first round picks look pretty solid so far. If this was poker, I would not bet against him.

Reactions: 313ryans

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
Given the current trajectories of Seider, Raymond, and Edvinsson, and Cossa's performance-to-date, I'm not sure I'd be the least bit worried about the Cossa pick just yet. In terms of "rankings," Wallstedt didn't have nearly a big enough advantage to really question this pick in a serious way. Especially after what Yzerman did with the 2019 6th overall pick, given the "rankings."

Reactions: gucc and newfy

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Positional goalies give you less heartburn. Ned's growing on me, but I'd still rather have a goalie that plays big and is just....there, in the right spot.
Considering Detroit will be missing out on the playoffs for a few more seasons - I'm enjoying the entertainment value that Neddy brings each time he's between the pipes.

I'm hoping he scores a en goal this season...That would be wild if it was on home ice.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm hoping he scores a en goal this season...That would be wild if it was on home ice.
Maybe he can get some lessons from Hronek, Vlad, and Sam, lol.

He probably will get one at some point in the next 2 seasons. Not every team coaches to ice the puck in EN situations, Lav actually had a chat with Mantha the first time he pitchforked the puck into an empty net (he scored and still got a lecture, lol). Caps usually don't ice the puck in that situation, but Blash doesn't seem to mind as much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad