Rumor: Askarov’s agent : We are working on different possibilities for Yaroslav

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I would rather keep him. I don't buy into the loyalty thing- a player's first obligation is and should be their own career, not loyalty to the franchise.

I've been excited to see him with the big club for a while- he's shown great potential, is very entertaining and has a fun personality
Imagine a press conference with him and Surin

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
To LA. - Igor Shesterkin

To Nashville. - Adrian Kempe

To Rangers. - Askarov, Liam Greentree and the better of the two 1st rounders tjat Nashville has.
Nashville is above the cap atm.
All the LA posters will say no because "Clarke is untouchaaaaaable"

To LA - Igor Shesterkin, Luke Schenn
To Nashville - Brandt Clarke
To Rangers - Askaraov, Kempe

Use draft picks to even the scales. Initially NSH wins here by upgrading Schenn to Clarke at the cost of Askarov, solving their cap issues. LA definitely in a give-to-get situation. Kempe gives the Rangers the 1RW we've been lacking + a top goalie prospect.

Alternatively:

To LA - Igor Shesterkin
To Nashville - Liam Greentree

Alternatively if you are a Rangers poster who is in denial that Drury is going to go for it and totally accept futures instead:

To LA - Igor Shesterkin
To Rangers - Askaraov, Clarke, LA 2025 1st

Alternatively if you are Bern:

To LA - Igor Shesterkin
To Rangers - Askaraov, Byfield

• Wow
Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
We probably aren't familiar with the pre-trade view of Gauthier? :dunno:

I think Askarov will get exactly the correct/"fair" chance he has earned over the next 2-3 seasons at least. He needs - truly NEEDS - to be in the AHL next season as a #1 guy to continue working on the shortcomings in his technical game. After that, it just depends on how he progresses. He could be in the AHL for a 4th year if he doesn't put in the work. He could be in the NHL. Who knows.

He's a fun guy to watch, and I think we have all been pretty excited about his potential. But at the end of the day, he does have to put in the work. If he's going to get all pissy about the Saros contract and not put in the work, then I'd rather just dump him now. Because he's simply not even going to make the NHL ever if he doesn't get better at playing the position. :dunno:
He's 30-13-1, 2.39 GAA and 0.911 sv%, best of his 3 years, but playoffs have been the bane of his existence... is the expectation for him to play 50 games in the season and be a winning playoff goalie before he's considered a success?

Sleeper Shark

Jun 28, 2018
Antarctica
All the LA posters will say no because "Clarke is untouchaaaaaable"

To LA - Igor Shesterkin, Luke Schenn
To Nashville - Brandt Clarke

Use draft picks to even the scales. Initially NSH wins here by upgrading Schenn to Clarke at the cost of Askarov, solving their cap issues. LA definitely in a give-to-get situation. Kempe gives the Rangers the 1RW we've been lacking + a top goalie prospect.

Alternatively:

To LA - Igor Shesterkin

Alternatively if you are a Rangers poster who is in denial that Drury is going to go for it and totally accept futures instead:

To LA - Igor Shesterkin
To Rangers - Askaraov, Clarke, LA 2025 1st

Alternatively if you are Bern:

To LA - Igor Shesterkin
To Rangers - Askaraov, Byfield

No way these LA/NYR/NSH trades happen.

SJ trades any combo of player, prospect, and draft picks that aren't Celebrini/Smith/Dickinson/2025 1st. (Within reason)

I think SJ could be a real player on this - Askarov fits right within their timeline, goalie coach Speers is said to be really good, and you've got Nabby in SJ to walk him through things as well.

Right off the bat I would offer Gushchin, Zetterlund, and 2025 2nd. What would NSH really be looking for in a return?

Given the age of their roster, I would guess young players or close to ready prospects that can join the ranks soon-ish.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

SJ trades any combo of player, prospect, and draft picks that aren't Celebrini/Smith/Dickinson/2025 1st. (Within reason)

I think SJ could be a real player on this - Askarov fits right within their timeline, goalie coach Speers is said to be really good, and you've got Nabby in SJ to walk him through things as well.

Right off the bat I would offer Gushchin, Zetterlund, and 2025 2nd. What would NSH really be looking for in a return?

Given the age of their roster, I would guess young players or close to ready prospects that can join the ranks soon-ish.
Bystedt for Askarov, straight up.

Reactions: OversKy

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007

None of that. There is no interest in any of those pieces in an Askarov deal.
Bystedt for Askarov, straight up.
Still a no. There is no reason to move Askarov without serious quality coming back.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Right.... Hence the question in my previous post.

What is NSH looking for in an Askarov deal?
A premium piece (I.e. someone with franchise player potential). I don’t think anyone is going to offer that, so I don’t think there’s really any deal to be made.

Reactions: Armourboy

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Goalies don't have much value/fetch much in a trade. They f***ed up taking him ahead of Jarvis and lundell.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Reminds me of Jonathan Bernier, high draft pick, had decent number in the Q, played well in the AHL, won goalie of the year in the AH and, did well in the NHL when called upon. Never outclassed Quick and got traded for a 2nd rounder, an AHLer (Fratin) and a back-up goalie (Scrivens).

I think the longer they wait, the worst the value will be, even if he dominates the AHL for the next 2 years.
Askarov needs another season in the AHL.

I would like to see him have a winning playoff record instead of going 2-3, then getting injured.

The Admirals made it to the WCF the last 2 seasons. Askarov had very good AHL teams in front of him and was paired with good goalies each season. He needs a little improvement to move up to the NHL.

He has been compared to Jesper Wallstedt of the Iowa Wild. Askarov has won 5 of 7 head-to-head regular season match ups against Wallstedt, so Askarov is the better goalie. There are 2 or 3 other AHL goalies that he needs to surpass by working on his consistency.

I saw him play about 20 games last season, plus his home playoff games. He was very good by AHL standards. He just needs to work on not overplaying the puck and his positioning a little. He tends to give up a soft goal early, then he looks like Ken Dryden after that. He needs to be Dryden for 60 minutes, not 50 or 55.

Last edited:

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
It sounds like he's working for a trade, although I really don't think he's proven he's an NHL goalie yet.

Just hope we don't f it up, because he has that "it" factor that very few goalies have.
Can't figure out why they signed Saros to such a long term deal especially when they drafted the younger cheaper and probably better Askarov

Justus Annunen + Mikhail Gulyayev + for Askarov?
no

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Goalies don't have much value/fetch much in a trade. They f***ed up taking him ahead of Jarvis and lundell.
I thought after the couple of years in the AHL the Preds would have traded Saros to give Askarov the numero uno job in the NHL

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I assume he won't be traded within the Central Division.

I'm gonna say San Jose and Seattle are two places where he would be a good fit.

I looked at the Eastern Conference first, but surprisingly I don't see a lot of good fits. Eastern terms either have their stud who isn't getting too old yet (Swayman, Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Shesterkin), their young kid(s) they're moving forward with (Kochetkov, Tarasov Greaves combo, Woll Hildeby combo), have one really good kid coming soon or multiple decent kids (BUF, DET, FLA, MTL, OTT), or just seem kind of set for a while, based on both NHL roster goalies and so-so kids coming soon (NJD, PHI, PIT, WSH).

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Ritchie + Gulyayev
That's a better offer but why would Colorado be interested they drafted Russian Goalies Ilya Nabakov and Ivan Yunin in 2024? Perhaps you are thinking about the here and now...I guess I see your point since the Avalanche's goaltending hasn't been that great lately...why did they get rid of Francouz thought he played well there

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Justus Annunen + Mikhail Gulyayev + for Askarov?
Of the other 31 teams besides Nashville, I think Colorado is a top 5 fit for an Askarov trade. That being said, Nashville might consider it unwise to trade Askarov within their own division and then have to face him in the first two rounds of the playoffs for the next 5 to 15 years. Colorado and Utah are probably off the table IMO.

Reactions: Murzu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad