Rumor: Askarov’s agent : We are working on different possibilities for Yaroslav

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If I’m Askarov I go to Milwaukee and tear it up forcing the Preds to either bring him up and see if he can displace Saros or make it a 1a/1b scenario. If he can and shines, nothing says the Preds can’t move Saros as his NMC won’t kick in until July 1.
No offense, I don't think anyone is touching Saros now with that contract, too many years and too much player control. What he can do is come in and have a good camp, start out well in Milwaukee and have Trotz waive Wedgewood to the minors.

The odds of that happening though are slim and none, they will want him to play another season full time, and do well without him slipping at the end of the season once the work load starts to pile up.

Besides no one in the NHL is putting him on a starting roster. I think most teams around the league are smart enough to know that if Nashville of all organizations thinks a goalie isn't ready then its a pretty good bet he isn't.

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Was he though? He hasn't exactly been particularly good at the NHL level, though not particularly bad either, just very mid. And I think another reason was he was waiver exempt still as of last year. He won't be as of this coming year if I'm not mistaken.

I was kind of expecting him to be bought out this offseason, and he still might be, as they're probably paying him too much and can use that significant cap hit off their books. I think that's one of the few questionable things Zito has done (other than a first for Chiarot) though it was somewhat understandable.

He was giving him that based off potential. And he was only a year removed from him stepping in and having a few really good games in the playoffs as a 19 year old at the time he was given that contract.

I think they were also operating under the assumption, as well as some real evidence that Bobrovsky was on the decline and that Knight would be the better goaltender of the two really soon.
Knight is still waiver exempt this season

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Knight is still waiver exempt this season
Ah, I just figured his waiver eligibility was coming to an end considering how many years he's been a pro for now.

But where he played 0 NHL games last season I guess he didn't burn up any games to go towards running out of waiver exemption.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Why do you want to get rid of Bystedt he hasn't played 1 game for them and could turn to be a pretty decent/good player...man the Sharks are loaded at Centre
No one wants to get rid of Bystedt, we just have a nearly identical player in Edstrom and a ton of other center depth in the pool.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Why would LA trade their best Forward respect due to Kopitar and Fiala and their best Prospect Greentree for Yaroslav Askarov who is an unknown commodity at the NHL level?

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Why do you want to get rid of Bystedt he hasn't played 1 game for them and could turn to be a pretty decent/good player...man the Sharks are loaded at Centre

I think you just answered your question with that last statement. I don't want to trade Bystedt but if he can be used for a guy like Askarov, he can be available.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
No one wants to get rid of Bystedt, we just have a nearly identical player in Edstrom and a ton of other center depth in the pool.
With all the Centers in San Jose someone will make the shift to the LWing...maybe both Bystedt and Edstrom...man the Sharks are loaded with youngsters hope they bust out and have a good/great season...they'll be fun to watch again after some so-so campaigns...loved the drafting of Dickinson too wow he'll be top 2 on the team in no time flat

I think you just answered your question with that last statement. I don't want to trade Bystedt but if he can be used for a guy like Askarov, he can be available.
I can't remember do the Sharks have any Russians so Askarov if he's traded for doesn't get lonely

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
With all the Centers in San Jose someone will make the shift to the LWing...maybe both Bystedt and Edstrom...man the Sharks are loaded with youngsters hope they bust out and have a good/great season...they'll be fun to watch again after some so-so campaigns...loved the drafting of Dickinson too wow he'll be top 2 on the team in no time flat

I can't remember do the Sharks have any Russians so Askarov if he's traded for doesn't get lonely
I believe Askarov and Mukhamadullin are close.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I don't see any way he doesn't ask out in a couple years at most being stuck behind saros for that long doesn't seem appealing. I don't think his value relative to his caphit could be better utilized in a trade than right now

Reactions: banks

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
On the big club? Not really, but in the system there's Mukhamadulin, Daniil Guschin, Chernyshov, Artem Guryev... a couple of other lower drafted projects as well like Spitserov, Kashnikov and a couple of goalies as well, including Romanov who saw time in the NHL this past season.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
I would bet a fair bit of money that ends in up Washington or Edmonton

Maybe LA/VGK too
I’d be shocked if the Caps were interested. I think they like their current tandem and they have two of the top goalies in the AHL by GAA and SV%, including the recently extended Clay Stevenson who looks to have 1A upside.

IMG_5138.jpeg

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
No offense, I don't think anyone is touching Saros now with that contract, too many years and too much player control. What he can do is come in and have a good camp, start out well in Milwaukee and have Trotz waive Wedgewood to the minors.

The odds of that happening though are slim and none, they will want him to play another season full time, and do well without him slipping at the end of the season once the work load starts to pile up.

Besides no one in the NHL is putting him on a starting roster. I think most teams around the league are smart enough to know that if Nashville of all organizations thinks a goalie isn't ready then it’s a pretty good bet he isn't.
No offense taken. You’re using two talking points when quoting me though. I’m not saying trade Askarov, I’m only saying if Askarov has a great season and comes up and tears it up at the NHL, there is nothing that says the Preds can’t move Saros.

You may be correct in that no one would take the Saros contract. At the same time, if there’s a team that has a Cup window for 2-4 years and can acquire a top 5 goalie, they just might do it if it’s the thing that can push them over the edge.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Who is more NHL-ready - Askarov or Silovs?

Nucks are toying with the idea of Silovs as back up next year. Prospect swap?

With Demko’s health uncertainties, he’d probably play a lot of games here…

Don’t come at me saying the value isn’t the same. Despite draft pedigree, these are comparable players.
I’m coming at you saying the value isn’t the same

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Askarov should go back to Russia for a couple years, play great and then Millstein shops around for a 4-5M Offer Sheet. Quickest way to get paid.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
If I had to guess, judging by the avatar, it's Jacob Fowler...the goalie that is not quite as talented (not a knock on his own ability). College kid as well so there's always the possibility he doesn't sign because he sees that Saros roadblock as well.
Definitely possible, but it doesn't seem to fit his character. He knows he's a few years to make the jump to the NHL, and is willing to earn a starting role.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Askarov should go back to Russia for a couple years, play great and then Millstein shops around for a 4-5M Offer Sheet. Quickest way to get paid.

Or just play out his current contract now and a year from now sign an offer sheet that offers him the max allowed for 1 second round pick comp (currently $4,580,917). Many teams will be putting an offer sheet in front of him if it gets to that. Sharks would easily put 3 x $4,580,917 (or whatever that upper end for 2nd round comp is) in front of him next season.

Nashville will have a tough time matching that next offseason. It's too bad for Askarov that he isn't RFA now, Nashville definitely couldn't match any offer sheet today, even a no compensation offer sheet.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad