Rumor: Askarov’s agent : We are working on different possibilities for Yaroslav

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
If Askarov wins the starting job, he wins the starting job. Saros doesn’t have to start just because of his contract. That’s a misconception.
Comparing it to the situation in Florida for example. Knight you could say “won” the right to have plenty more starts than he should have before his mental issues as Bob was not having good regular seasons. The problem that’s stacked against a young goalie like this winning a starting job against another established goalie with a massive contract is that this young goalie will have to essentially be lights out consistently to be the undisputed “starter”. As soon as that kid falters one bit, the club will go back to that goalie with the massive contract in a way that they maybe wouldn’t if that massive contract wasn’t in place. So it does play a crucial role in the dynamics of who starts.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
To New Jersey for Dawson Mercer, with Jake Allen then sent to a third team for a pick.

That should be a perfectly acceptable situation for Askarov. Learn under a legitimate veteran goalie for 2 years. It's not like a Saros situation where if Askarov wins the starting job he is blocked because Saros is their for 9 more years. Markstrom is there for 2, and the Devils aren't so invested in Markstrom that if Askarov wins the starting job that Askarov won't got 40-60 games over Markstrom.
Askarov won't get the Predators close to Mercer. Maybe with Tomasino and a 1st. Of course Devils would have no interrest with Markstrom and Allen already locked in.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Comparing it to the situation in Florida for example. Knight you could say “won” the right to have plenty more starts than he should have before his mental issues as Bob was not having good regular seasons. The problem that’s stacked against a young goalie like this winning a starting job against another established goalie with a massive contract is that this young goalie will have to essentially be lights out consistently to be the undisputed “starter”. As soon as that kid falters one bit, the club will go back to that goalie with the massive contract in a way that they maybe wouldn’t if that massive contract wasn’t in place. So it does play a crucial role in the dynamics of who starts.
This seems like a different scenario than the hypothetical to which I was replying. In Florida’s case, they had a good, young goalie who could pick up starts while Bob wasn’t playing very well. That sounds more like Bob losing the starts rather than Knight winning them, or at least some combination of both. I was replying to a hypothetical in which Askarov outright won the starting job, but for whatever reason Saros was going to continue starting. I don’t see that happening. If Askarov outright wins the starting job, he wins the starting job. That doesn’t mean he can’t lose it again, but I just don’t see Nashville’s management thinking Askarov won the job without actually giving him the job.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Buyout Saros 😆. You just signed him to an 8 yr extension. There is 0 chance Trotz buys out Saros even if Askarov plays out of his mind in the preseason and start of the season. I could only imagine Trotz trying to resign anyone after that. It would be disastrous as every agent would remember that
Yeah, I noticed how nobody wanted to sign with the Preds after they bought out Duchene. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Armourboy

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
People expect Nashville just throw Askarov in, trade Saros and start tanking or really think he can carry them in playoffs or what?

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
This seems like a different scenario than the hypothetical to which I was replying. In Florida’s case, they had a good, young goalie who could pick up starts while Bob wasn’t playing very well. That sounds more like Bob losing the starts rather than Knight winning them, or at least some combination of both. I was replying to a hypothetical in which Askarov outright won the starting job, but for whatever reason Saros was going to continue starting. I don’t see that happening. If Askarov outright wins the starting job, he wins the starting job. That doesn’t mean he can’t lose it again, but I just don’t see Nashville’s management thinking Askarov won the job without actually giving him the job.
You’re over thinking it. Whether Askarov wins it or Saros loses it is semantics and has no bearing in what I’m trying to say. My point is, no matter how we get there, when Saros is getting paid, the leeway for Askarov to have an off night is going to be very short. They’ll revert back to Saros even if he’s been dogshit simply BECAUSE, and only because, of his contract. So, yes, again, the contract plays a huuuuge part in this and Saros will probably be given a wayyy bigger chance to be utter dogshit to lose the job.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
You’re over thinking it. Whether Askarov wins it or Saros loses it is semantics and has no bearing in what I’m trying to say. My point is, no matter how we get there, when Saros is getting paid, the leeway for Askarov to have an off night is going to be very short. They’ll revert back to Saros even if he’s been dogshit simply BECAUSE, and only because, of his contract. So, yes, again, the contract plays a huuuuge part in this and Saros will probably be given a wayyy bigger chance to be utter dogshit to lose the job.
I was trying to keep it simple. You’re assuming one team’s management will act like another team’s management, which may or may not be true, but I was simply pointing out that if Askarov wins the starting job he wins the starting job. You’re the one who brought in the caveats.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't know, this franchise has never been one to keep a bad goalie in a starting position no matter that contract situation. I know Poile was the GM, but gotta remember Trotz was the coach for 10 of those years, and he went from Dunham to Vokoun with zero hesitation. Same when Rinne came in, soon as he showed he was the starter he was starting.

Now when it comes to forwards that is a whole different deal. I trust Trotz and forwards about as far as I can throw Bridgestone Arena.

Reactions: JPT

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
All you’re saying is that Askarov hasn’t actually won the job yet in your scenario.

He better not have many off nights if he’s going to do that.

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
So you guys actually think that Nashville will be that ONE franchise that sits a 7 million dollar back up and won’t give him chance after chance to not lose the starting position or chance after chance to retake the starting position if he loses it and will then give Askarov chance after chance to maintain the starting position if he wins it….lulzzz okay

Last edited:

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
So you guys actually think that Nashville will be that ONE franchise that sits a 7 million dollar back up and won’t give him chance after chance to not lose the starting position or chance after chance to retake the starting position if he loses it and will then give Askarov chance after chance to maintain the starting position if he wins it….lulzzz okay
Once again, the comment was that Askarov wins the starting job but doesn't get the start. You keep adding shit.

TySleezy

Jul 13, 2024
I love how the entire hockey media goes up in flames when Trotz wants to give the rookie goalie more time to develop.

We see what happens when young goalies are thrusted into big roles how they falter and take longer to develop (I.e Hart).
Askarov had a rough AHL playoffs, which only proves he still lacks poise and needs more experience. If he comes out of the gate swinging with amazing AHL numbers, we can just call him up. Wedge can always be moved.

It'd be really funny if he gets traded and shits the bed because he's playing a 1b (maybe higher) role when he's not ready for it.

Reactions: Soundgarden and JPT

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Yeah, I noticed how nobody wanted to sign with the Preds after they bought out Duchene. :rolleyes:
Duchene played 4 years into his 7 year contract with the preds BEFORE they bought him out. The suggestion here was to buyout Saros before he began his new 8 yr extension..... not hard to notice the difference.... :rolleyes:

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Duchene played 4 years into his 7 year contract with the preds BEFORE they bought him out. The suggestion here was to buyout Saros before he began his new 8 yr extension..... not hard to notice the difference.... :rolleyes:
No it wasn't. They didn't specify when the buy out would happen.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Wait, somebody was suggesting they buy out Saros even before the contract started? That'd be even dumber than I what I was already thinking about that post. I'm pretty sure nobody could have suggested something that outlandish.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Wait, somebody was suggesting they buy out Saros even before the contract started? That'd be even dumber than I what I was already thinking about that post. I'm pretty sure nobody could have suggested something that outlandish.
The post they're referring to just said buy out. They invented the timeline out of thin air I guess.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Cmon-do-something-meme-8.jpg

Reactions: Dog

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No I suggested it and being we know Askarov won't even be ready to start for another 3-4 years it's pretty much exactly like buying out Duchene. I guess there are some people around here that live in a fantasy world where Askarov suddenly develops into a full blown starter before next season even though he does good to even make it through an AHL season currently.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad