Rumor: Askarov’s agent : We are working on different possibilities for Yaroslav

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
More than enough reason to hold onto him, just because Saros is signed for 9 years doesn't mean he is going to be good for 9 more years.

We have nothing else in the system past Askarov so if we trade him we are basically leaving ourselves dependent on getting other teams back ups or jettisoned starters if something were to happen to Saros.

Truth be told, we are better off holding onto him if we aren't getting something of quality back, even if he bails to Russia. He has the same agent as Afanasyev who bailed even after being traded.
Yeah, as much as I am rooting for and want to see Askarov get his shot with the Preds sooner than later, I'll also say if he wants to threaten to f*** off to Russia for the next 5 years, he's welcome to. Different situation and player than Afanaseyev.

Reactions: Armourboy

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
Quebec
Reminds me of Jonathan Bernier, high draft pick, had decent number in the Q, played well in the AHL, won goalie of the year in the AH and, did well in the NHL when called upon. Never outclassed Quick and got traded for a 2nd rounder, an AHLer (Fratin) and a back-up goalie (Scrivens).

I think the longer they wait, the worst the value will be, even if he dominates the AHL for the next 2 years.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Preds will either lose him to Russia or get a weak return because everyone knows our position now after long term deal with saros. Great offseason Barry but this was butchered.
I would have preferred a different route with respect to the Saros contract but I think Trotz is fine here overall. There is zero impetus to trade Askarov unless the right value is coming back. Askarov can threaten to go to Russia, but the same time frame he'd come back over as a free agent he'd probably be competing for the starter job if he just stayed. Best play for Trotz is to just let it simmer a bit unless an offer is too good to turn down.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I am not sure if many people really watch Askarov play. Because it's not like he's some visibly "ready" NHL goaltender just languishing in the AHL. He has pretty big holes in his game. If it wasn't for his draft pedigree, I don't think anybody here would even be talking about him. He is getting better, making progress. He has a lot more work to do. Last year, he couldn't use his trapper correctly and held his arms and upper body all wrong. But he has been improving in that area. He still doesn't square up to shooters and loses his posts frequently. He makes up for these things at the AHL level with crazy reflexes and amazing leg flexibility and dexterity. But he's still overall a very technically flawed goaltender. I don't think very many teams would throw a player as raw and flawed as he is into the NHL prematurely.

What he needs to do is just keep working at things under the Preds development staff. He has such great athleticism for the position, such swagger and brashness, he could become a special goalie in the NHL. But he just needs to realize and accept that there is more work to do. That test of humility might be the biggest one he faces in making it.

If he rocks the boat too soon, I'm pretty sure Trotz would just call his bluff and dump him. Or let him sail back to Russia. And that's actually not going to be the best thing for Askarov's career. Hopefully somebody sensible is talking to him.

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

Yeah its extremely intelligent to have your number 1 goalie prospect sitting on the bench for 95% of the year while he could instead be furthering his development being a full time starter in the A. I mean it's like you didn't even bother to think about it.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I am not sure if many people really watch Askarov play. Because it's not like he's some visibly "ready" NHL goaltender just languishing in the AHL. He has pretty big holes in his game. If it wasn't for his draft pedigree, I don't think anybody here would even be talking about him. He is getting better, making progress. He has a lot more work to do. Last year, he couldn't use his trapper correctly and held his arms and upper body all wrong. But he has been improving in that area. He still doesn't square up to shooters and loses his posts frequently. He makes up for these things at the AHL level with crazy reflexes and amazing leg flexibility and dexterity. But he's still overall a very technically flawed goaltender. I don't think very many teams would throw a player as raw and flawed as he is into the NHL prematurely.

What he needs to do is just keep working at things under the Preds development staff. He has such great athleticism for the position, such swagger and brashness, he could become a special goalie in the NHL. But he just needs to realize and accept that there is more work to do. That test of humility might be the biggest one he faces in making it.

If he rocks the boat too soon, I'm pretty sure Trotz would just call his bluff and dump him. Or let him sail back to Russia. And that's actually not going to be the best thing for Askarov's career. Hopefully somebody sensible is talking to him.
This is one of the reasons Milstein drives me nuts, and I'm glad the Canucks have shed most of his clients. He's way too aggressive with this stuff.

The Preds have a great goaltending department. Askarov remaining in their system and developing there would be best for his game. There's no guarantees he goes to another organization and develops well there.

Not saying Silovs is a goaltending prospect near Askarov's level but Canucks fans were speculating that people were going to offer sheet him this off season, which is just insane. He has big flaws in his game and teams know that the Canucks have a great goaltending department that develops goalies well. Getting a guy like him if your system isn't as strong makes no sense.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I know Trotz didn't make the pick but if you take a goalie at 11th, he is still widely considered the best goalie prospect in the game, and he has performed well for his age to this point then signing your starter to 8 years is going to create this kind of problem. You'll probably never get equal return on a 1st round goalie to the draft capital you spent.

There's potential for it to work out fine but my guess is signing Saros to 8 years and NMC, even though the AAV is fair, will turn out to be an own goal

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Preds will either lose him to Russia or get a weak return because everyone knows our position now after long term deal with saros. Great offseason Barry but this was butchered.
There will be a bidding war for him, so the preds should get at least a 1st + for him in all likelihood

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Curious, do Preds fans view him like Cutter Gauthier? (CG didn't want to sign but in this case with Saros getting locked up he's conceivably not getting a chance; did Preds fans want to have him traded before any displeasure is voiced, or would there be a hope that he'd be a loyal foot soldier regardless?)

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I know Trotz didn't make the pick but if you take a goalie at 11th, he is still widely considered the best goalie prospect in the game, and he has performed well for his age to this point then signing your starter to 8 years is going to create this kind of problem. You'll probably never get equal return on a 1st round goalie to the draft capital you spent.

There's potential for it to work out fine but my guess is signing Saros to 8 years and NMC, even though the AAV is fair, will turn out to be an own goal
Maybe but in Askaron's case he isn't ready to go anywhere anyways, no matter what organization he plays for. Once teams got a good look at him they would see exactly what we see, he needs to still be in the AHL. The only people that really thinks he needs to be in the NHL are his agent and fans that don't have a clue what his game really looks like.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Curious, do Preds fans view him like Cutter Gauthier? (CG didn't want to sign but in this case with Saros getting locked up he's conceivably not getting a chance; did Preds fans want to have him traded before any displeasure is voiced, or would there be a hope that he'd be a loyal foot soldier regardless?)
I mean we have a path for him, especially with bringing back Korn, I'd rather keep him for now unless we're getting something worth while back.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I would rather keep him. I don't buy into the loyalty thing- a player's first obligation is and should be their own career, not loyalty to the franchise.

I've been excited to see him with the big club for a while- he's shown great potential, is very entertaining and has a fun personality

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No the hope was we wouldn't be dumb enough to sign Saros to an 8 year contract with a NMC.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
There's some split between wanting to see him still take Saros' mantle eventually or trading him in the near future for more "win now" pieces but I don't think many Preds fans support trading him just for the sake of trading him, or because he may currently be unhappy.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There's some split between wanting to see him still take Saros' mantle eventually or trading him in the near future for more "win now" pieces but I don't think many Preds fans support trading him just for the sake of trading him, or because he may currently be unhappy.
Yeah no reason to trade him for whatever you can get. If its not worth it he fills a depth spot, and if he goes back to Russia oh well. He can't go anywhere else until he is 27 anyways.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
We probably aren't familiar with the pre-trade view of Gauthier? :dunno:

I think Askarov will get exactly the correct/"fair" chance he has earned over the next 2-3 seasons at least. He needs - truly NEEDS - to be in the AHL next season as a #1 guy to continue working on the shortcomings in his technical game. After that, it just depends on how he progresses. He could be in the AHL for a 4th year if he doesn't put in the work. He could be in the NHL. Who knows.

He's a fun guy to watch, and I think we have all been pretty excited about his potential. But at the end of the day, he does have to put in the work. If he's going to get all pissy about the Saros contract and not put in the work, then I'd rather just dump him now. Because he's simply not even going to make the NHL ever if he doesn't get better at playing the position. :dunno:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Yeah its extremely intelligent to have your number 1 goalie prospect sitting on the bench for 95% of the year while he could instead be furthering his development being a full time starter in the A. I mean it's like you didn't even bother to think about it.
Tampa did it with Vasy and Bishop rather easily

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Tampa did it with Vasy and Bishop rather easily
We did with Saros as well, but the player needs to be at a point he is ready for that, and show that more AHL work isn't really going to do him much good.

Askarov right now needs to play as much as he can, his technical game is rough and raw. He's one of those guys that on a good night would look pretty solid, but on a bad one would give up 10 pretty quick against quality shooters.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
We did with Saros as well, but the player needs to be at a point he is ready for that, and show that more AHL work isn't really going to do him much good.

Askarov right now needs to play as much as he can, his technical game is rough and raw. He's one of those guys that on a good night would look pretty solid, but on a bad one would give up 10 pretty quick against quality shooters.
I don't really see this with him. Whether the limited NHL minutes he got or the many AHL his deficiency has been overaggression or too happy to play the puck, not getting picked apart by shooters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad