Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I didn't see it last season, either. Then look what happened. It seems like we always find a way to lose/suck. LOL
The little guy really sank them when the chips were down. Didn't he have an excellent half season?

I still don't see it with that team no matter what. Maybe I'm biased because I hate them with the heat of a thousand suns, but....yeah, probably pretty biased.

Reactions: OmniSens

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
With fan votes, exposure+name value is going to go a long way.

Players who are known quantities get over voted, and players who get exposure through deep playoff runs or being on a popular team that had a strong regular season are going to get more votes.

It's why Chabot and Chychrun are both ahead of Sanderson. Even if you go back to Sanderson's contract last year, almost every Senators fan said it was going to be a steal, while the reaction among fans of other fanbases was neutral to negative on it.

It's almost surprising to me that Dobson got voted so high on the Islanders. He should be higher, but usually it takes a few years for people to catch on to teams they don't watch that don't go on big runs.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
With fan votes, exposure+name value is going to go a long way.

Players who are known quantities get over voted, and players who get exposure through deep playoff runs or being on a popular team that had a strong regular season are going to get more votes.

It's why Chabot and Chychrun are both ahead of Sanderson. Even if you go back to Sanderson's contract last year, almost every Senators fan said it was going to be a steal, while the reaction among fans of other fanbases was neutral to negative on it.

It's almost surprising to me that Dobson got voted so high on the Islanders. He should be higher, but usually it takes a few years for people to catch on to teams they don't watch that don't go on big runs.
So true. I was going to make the same points. Its name recognition. Most fans only follow their own team’s players and aren’t aware of players on other teams other than the most obvious ones.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The devil is in the details, fans of small market teams will be underrepresented, fans of large market teams over represented, along with the players in both circumstances. Plus all of the other good points made.

I don't watch every team enough to confidently vote on something like this, but I watch the Senators enough to be confident in Chabot>>>>Chychrun>Sanderson being completely influenced by reputation.

Seeing the Senators ranking is enough for me to dismiss this poll. I can't disprove it myself because I don't watch all these guys enough, but I watch the Senators enough and read opinions of other people who watch the Senators enough, and if the rankings in this poll are so divergent from the rankings of people who I can confirm watch the team, then it's fair to question the validity of the entire poll.

Reactions: Icelevel

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Quick history of Montreal’s 1 week Pursuit of Rutger McGroaty:

- OH MY GOD, we’re getting Rutger Mcgroaty
- Did you see that offer for Rutger, best they’ll
Do
- Can’t believe they didn’t accept the offer
- need to tease this offer to get it done, Rutger is a difference maker
- is Rutger even good?
- we don’t need Rutger
- Thanks god we didn’t get Rutger
- Dodged a bulket no getting Rutger, who needs him

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The Jets have only committed the sin of being truthful with 20-year-old prospect Rutger McGroarty, and if the rumours are to be believed, it looks like they're getting penalised for it.

Several sources have reported that McGroarty's camp and the Jets cannot agree on the best course of action for him, with the Jets refusing to promise him a spot in the NHL starting lineup. Conversely, McGroarty is thought to believe he's ready for the NHL and can outperform the AHL. …..

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The Jets have only committed the sin of being truthful with 20-year-old prospect Rutger McGroarty, and if the rumours are to be believed, it looks like they're getting penalised for it.

Several sources have reported that McGroarty's camp and the Jets cannot agree on the best course of action for him, with the Jets refusing to promise him a spot in the NHL starting lineup. Conversely, McGroarty is thought to believe he's ready for the NHL and can outperform the AHL. …..

Sounds like both sides are being honest and they just don’t like what the other says - like with Heatley the team holds the hammer and his reputation gets taken through the mud.

The real story and no one will write it is - these U.S. college kids are going to end the draft by not reporting and the big U.S teams will be the benefactors and the Canadian teams will be worse off then they are now.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Damn, hope Kuznetsov can address whatever substance issues he might have. Surprised he's walking away from that cash at first glance, but makes sense if he wants to just be with his family

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

He was a scout with Dallas. Could be a good hire. This is the kind of upgrade the Sens should be making.

tidbits

Last edited:

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Man do I wish the NHL would follow the NBA and start a summer league.

Players in years 1-2 in the pros (NHL and AHL), with the addition of high end junior aged/college aged players. It would be fantastic.

you modify the set-up to three 15 minute periods. Limit the total game time to 2 hrs. Have 2 games played a day. 2 weeks worth of net schedule.

YEA, I GET THE INJURY RISK.

You move it around from smallish 'non NHL" location to another. Have 2-3 zones at once. An Eastern, Central and Western.

So say: Quebec City, North Dakota, Victoria BC one year and then find others.

The whole key is to allow pros in years 1 and 2.. so most teams will have 1- 4 full time NHLers on the team. And 1-4 high end AHLers projected to make the top club in the upcoming season.

charge something reasonable., negotiate a TV deal and that should pay the expenses.

Now you have the AHL coach running it and if NHL teams are smart, the NHL coach is right next to him.

July 15-July 29 kind of thing. 10/11 or 16 teams per zone. A game every 3 days per team, so 6 games played.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
drafts years 2017, 2018 and 2019 are light on Dmen.

Tremendous stars, but zero depth

2017 has so far produced 2 guys, Makar and Heiskanen. Stars, but nothing around them
2018 4 stars, a 5th rock solid and the rest 5,6,7 dmen
2019 1 guy (Seider)!! but it is still a bit early

3 years od Dmen drafting has produced
7 top pair Dmen
1 second pair
2 #5

and the rest are 6,7. Almost 90 Dmen picked.. 7 are top pair. 8 are top 2 pair. If drafts remain this bad, in 12 years, we will be at 15 years total and have 35 first pair dmen.. The league needs 64.

Man, we have got to improve development of Dmen.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
the woman’s Olympic soccer team has an excellent reputation and is something fans look forward to every 4 years - to do something that stupid and useless and ruin your brand when it’s in the spotlight is just so stupid. WTF

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
the woman’s Olympic soccer team has an excellent reputation and is something fans look forward to every 4 years - to do something that stupid and useless and ruin your brand when it’s in the spotlight is just so stupid. WTF
1721824048377.png

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

...what did I miss here?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
...what did I miss here?

One of the women's soccer team support staff used a drone to spy on the New Zealand soccer team's practice.

Which to me is incredibly stupid because

1. It's soccer, not American football. The advantage is negligible.
2. People are going to notice this shit
3. New Zealand's team is incredibly beatable
4. It's embarrassing and disgraceful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad