Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
One of the women's soccer team support staff used a drone to spy on the New Zealand soccer team's practice.

Which to me is incredibly stupid because

1. It's soccer, not American football. The advantage is negligible.
2. People are going to notice this shit
3. New Zealand's team is incredibly beatable
4. It's embarrassing and disgraceful

...oh my. Not sure if it's funny or sad.

I guess the coaching staff doesn't have faith in our team to beat anyone this year.

Reactions: Senscore

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

But it’s like what are you going to get from a Drone recording a practice that Bev Preistman can’t see you her eyes within 3 seconds.

Canadian cheating - so something illegal and get caught that doesn’t help you win. At least the Yanks and Ruskies do steroids that actually help. Stupid

Moms of prospects will be checking in on their Sons every hour as soon as they put them on a plane to Edmonton. McDavid Honda the Cup to Bowman - ugly look for the Oilers

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Greg Button was on TSN on July 1,, right after the Free Agency Frenzy show. TSN had gotten notice from the league that the ban was lifted. And the panel discussed it.

Button told them Edmonton!

That Dude breaks more stories than anyone. I cannot wait for his call on Quenneville.

@Sens of Anarchy can you keep an eye out for a Button tweet on Quenneville? You are he most plugged in.

The hockey world was forced to react/act to the abuse. They did not do it willingly. And so, don't be surprised by the lenient treatment. Remember Ray Rice only got 2 games initially.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Disgustingly tone deaf move by edmonton. Wtf. How anyone involved is welcomed back into the league is beyond me.
you don't remember how it was handled.? How Gary tried to sweep things under the carpet? How owners, exec, coaches, players all mocked Beech!!!!

The league was forced to react...forced.. so a wrist slap.

deep down, I doubt nay of them feel anything wrong occurred..

Look for Quenneville to resurface sometime within the next 6 months.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Raise your hand if you ever thought Stan Bowman was a good GM. Now add to that the stink that will remain with him no matter how apologetic he is. If its not unforgiveable its pretty close. The Oil really looked like that they have arrived. The Jackson hire has been very positive ... now this decision.
You talk about an unnecessary distraction. Disappointing.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Forget the off-ice stuff, Stan Bowman was one of the worst GMs in the league when he ran the Blackhawks.

The man turned Panarin into Saad into Zadorov into a 3rd round pick.

No idea what the Oilers are thinking. What's even worse is Jeff Jackson was killing it as interim GM.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Forget the off-ice stuff, Stan Bowman was one of the worst GMs in the league when he ran the Blackhawks.

The man turned Panarin into Saad into Zadorov into a 3rd round pick.

No idea what the Oilers are thinking. What's even worse is Jeff Jackson was killing it as interim GM.

I didn’t think Dorion would ever be a better hire but in this occasion it would have been

Reactions: Dionysus

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The Oil don't deserve to ever win anything as long as their current owners (or whomever decided to hire Bowman) are there.

Bowman is objectively a shit GM. Rode tallon's coattails to a cup and then proceeded to dismantle the team in the worst way imaginable.

Aside from all that, when is the NHL going to start taking things like sexual assault seriously? Not being able to earn millions in NHL management is the 'worst' punishment Bowman gets for allowing a predator to predate.

Like he's not facing jailtime, and he'll still get to work in professional hockey, just not in the NHL.

If the Oilers player or coaching leadership had any backbone, they'll refuse to report or make a statement, but they won't because this sport doesn't take this stuff seriously.

Reactions: Beech and BigRig4

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The Oilers keeping finding ways to remind everyone that they are a joke franchise.

Katz is yet another idiot rich man. Like most of them.
The League lead by example on that one. Absolutely terrible handling of that situation in general basically leaving the door open to these guys. Ridiculous when they then turn around and throw the ban hammer down on Ottawa for much less egregious infractions like the Pinto and Dadonov situations.

I'm disappointed Edmonton went there, but it doesn't surprise me these guys are being welcomed back in to the NHL of all places.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Here is one for everyone.

How about if Edmonton's 41 away dates are played in an empty arenas?????

NO.. we all want to see McJesus!!!

and so our anger is as far as the threshold for our inconvenience.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Here is one for everyone.

How about if Edmonton's 41 away dates are played in an empty arenas?????

NO.. we all want to see McJesus!!!

and so our anger is as far as the threshold for our inconvenience.
Why would fans punish their own teams, who didn't hire Bowman, because they are upset about EDM hiring him?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It seems important to remember that the reason none of them are in jail is because their deplorable actions didn’t constitute a crime. Most of the older players at least have gone through deplorable hazing rituals themselves or that they witnessed. Now this is worse because it involves a position of authority. Like the military not taking those actions against our sons and daughters seriously when a similar situation occurred. Like the military, pro sports also had a put-the-team-first mentality. There were few precedents or paths to follow for reporting this. Things have thankfully changed now. As with the American founders declaring all men are created equal while holding slaves.

Sheldon Kennedy has talked about his new friendship with Stan Bowman. How all of them have taken responsibility for their actions and strived to make amends and be better. Sheldon seems to have forgiven him.

If only virtue signalling acceptance of someone’s redemptive capacity was seen as worthy as the initial outrage. Maybe that is the next moment needed.

https://www.respectgroupinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/my-work-with-stan-bowman-sk.pdf

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The UPL signing has the potential to be a very good deal if UPL can build on that nice .910 save percentage he had this past season. Hockey gods know how badly Buffalo needs good goaltending.

I'm surprised the Sabres didn't offer a larger package for Ullmark considering how badly they needed an upgrade as well.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It seems important to remember that the reason none of them are in jail is because their deplorable actions didn’t constitute a crime. Most of the older players at least have gone through deplorable hazing rituals themselves or that they witnessed. Now this is worse because it involves a position of authority. Like the military not taking those actions against our sons and daughters seriously when a similar situation occurred. Like the military, pro sports also had a put-the-team-first mentality. There were few precedents or paths to follow for reporting this. Things have thankfully changed now. As with the American founders declaring all men are created equal while holding slaves.

Sheldon Kennedy has talked about his new friendship with Stan Bowman. How all of them have taken responsibility for their actions and strived to make amends and be better. Sheldon seems to have forgiven him.

If only virtue signalling acceptance of someone’s redemptive capacity was seen as worthy as the initial outrage. Maybe that is the next moment needed.

https://www.respectgroupinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/my-work-with-stan-bowman-sk.pdf
New friendship = nice fat donation?

It certainly is possible Stan Bowman has accepted that what he did was awful, this is still a really, really bad look.

Bowman showed he was not worthy of trust, gets exiled, and comes back to the same level he was at? That's a bit of a stretch for most people. Everyone reasonable is ok with second chances, but people also expect destroyed trust to have be rebuilt, not granted.

Alas, rich white assholes and failing upwards, name a more iconic couple?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
New friendship = nice fat donation?

It certainly is possible Stan Bowman has accepted that what he did was awful, this is still a really, really bad look.

Bowman showed he was not worthy of trust, gets exiled, and comes back to the same level he was at? That's a bit of a stretch for most people. Everyone reasonable is ok with second chances, but people also expect destroyed trust to have be rebuilt, not granted.

Alas, rich white assholes and failing upwards, name a more iconic couple?
Trevor Noah had a funny bit about Christopher Columbus failing up. It’s a thing for sure.

It was a good letter I thought

In my own case, and in the many incidents of abuse that I continue to see, there are bystanders present who, instead of stepping in to make things better, often make the situation worse for the victim through their inaction. Bystanders typically have fear and anxiety around intervening, even when their gut tells them something may be wrong. Too often it’s unclear where to seek help or even how to begin a conversation on the topic. We need to foster confidence, clarity, and a sense of ownership in this critical area.

Stan understood this and agreed completely. I invited him to work with our team to help us build on our vision of the Respect Charter. He accepted and volunteered nearly full-time hours to help develop the program.

It was a powerful and impactful approach—I was coming at it from a victim’s point of view and Stan was approaching it as a guy suspended from his job because he could have done more. Stan’s acceptance, open mindedness, and understanding were huge difference makers in building this workshop. I was impressed with Stan’s insights, but more importantly, just how deeply he cared. Stan showed incredible leadership by helping craft the workshop curriculum, using his experience as a compelling real-life example, and facilitating the sessions along with a colleague from Chicago.

So why am I writing this piece? I believe Stan would be a valuable asset to an organization due to his acknowledgment of past mistakes and his relentless efforts to make the locker room/game safer for everyone. He possesses the insights, knowledge, and confidence needed to lead in this area. I feel building a strong and healthy culture within an organization and practicing it on an ongoing basis will be a top priority for Stan. I also believe Stan will carry this message within the hockey eco system, which can only help.

Its easy to be cynical. Many times it’s warranted. Maybe it is here, i cant be certain. But if someone does the work, becomes better, and a team thinks he can be a great asset now, the cynicism and refusal to accept redemption can become similar to the bullying initially and rightfully decried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad