Around the NHL: Part XVIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I have no issue with people being held accountable if fact I’d prefer it when justified but I just would rather it be dealt with behind the scenes. For me hockey is entertainment and entertainment is an escape from the everyday politics and messed up **** that’s happening today. I’d rather be blissfully unaware for just this one thing. I know it’s naive and I’m fully aware that it is. I just want it to be unsullied for us fans. I guess that can’t happen when we are the consumers and people like to be privy to situations. Some people just want to watch tv, movie, sports and play video games without all the nonsense. It just bums me out.

The problem is that in a sport that's public, and involves a lot of passion, you can't fire someone like a coach without people demanding to know why. Lesser known executives you could probably do it, but not coaches.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Exactly. Let’s look through years of people’s tweets while we’re at it. What if an NHL star, hypothetically let’s say Connor McDavid, tweeted something stupid as a 14 year old. Should he get suspended by the NHL for it? Banned? There’s a line that has to be drawn but the big issue that everyone on here isn’t recognizing is that it’s not about holding people accountable for their actions, it’s about a certain ideology controlling speech. What is and isn’t offensive. You control speech you control thought. That to me is a far greater threat than some person saying something stupid many years or decades ago. Do I support the league cleaning up abuse? Of course I do, I don’t think anyone would disagree there. The **** with Franzen is terrible. That to me, is what the league should be focusing on, abuse like what happened with Franzen, where his life was literally destroyed. Was that other guy’s life destroyed over Peters saying something stupid? Nobody even knew who he was until now, 10 years later. When you lump that in with what happened with Franzen it minimizes the actual abuse that has and is happening. Just my opinion.

I think concerns about censorship are always valid; but I also think that the league, which is a business, does have a right to decide who and what is associated with their product.

That doesn't stop someone like Bill Peters from spewing that nonsense outside of an NHL locker room, but something tells me he'd be less inclined to make many of his comments on the street. The latter would surely lead to a prompt, and deserved, ass-kicking.

I'm not going to debate the Aliu debacle, which goes beyond just words and is very much an issue with power and control --- something a coach clearly has over a young player. While I get a sense for what you're getting at, I wouldn't die on that hill if I were you. That's a losing example.

Having said that, I think most of these things will be judged on a case by case basis. But this isn't an "ideological" concern about controlling speech.

Last edited:

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I think concerns about censorship are always valid; but I also think that the league, which is a business, does have a right to decide who and what is associated with their product.

That doesn't stop someone like Bill Peters from spewing that nonsense outside of an NHL locker room, but something tells me he'd be less inclined to make many of his comments on the street. The latter would surely lead to a prompt, and deserved, ass-kicking.

I'm not going to debate the Aliu debacle, which goes beyond just words and is very much an issue with power and control --- something a coach clearly has over a young player. While I get a sense for what you're getting at, I wouldn't die on that hill if I were you. That's a losing example.

Having said that, I think most of these things will be judged on a case by case basis. But this isn't an "ideological" concern about controlling speech.
And that’s how it should be, these issues should be judged on a case by case basis and not all lumped together. I agree with you there. I guess if you wanna look at it from a broader spectrum, you’re right, it’s a business, Peters worked for the NHL and Calgary. He represented the league and it made the league look bad. Same as Kaepernick in a sense. Meaning the NFL desperately wanted to squash the protesting thing because it hurt their business and made the league look bad. If you know what I mean. The whole thought control thing is another debate not meant for a hockey forum. I’ll leave it there, out of respect for you and HF.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Crazy thing is, that could’ve been us. We could’ve hired Montgomerey and we would be in the same position today with an extremely young group having to now switch gears to a different coach after learning what the previous one had been molding them with. Granted Dallas isn’t as young or even rebuilding like us, but still.

SouthernRanger

Jun 24, 2016
Yeah, I yearn for the days when coaches could assault players and freely use the N-word.

Let's make hockey great again.

Dude the original comment is bad but your reply is no better. I think when we find out what happened the Stars will be justified but people here need to stop pocking each other with a pitchfork.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I don't know where to post this, but I'm semi-watching/listening to the Habs-Pens game and I can't believe how terrible their color commentary guy is. It's beyond annoying. Play-by-play isn't as bad but when they start to banter they're both pretty ridiculous. I mean, it's different... nothing wrong with that, but it's just massive cringe from me pretty often. I don't think I could handle this being what I hear all the time. I'm surprised I've never heard them before. The color guy has some of the Jack Edwards (who I know everyone hates but I don't mind beyond some of the extreme homerism at times, since he's talented) homer comments but without the bravado. Some of what he says is so bad it's almost good. I'm like a deer in headlights.

Prior to this I thought NJ had the worst color guy, if it's the same guy as a few years back anyway.

Zero bias, don't care what division they're in or our relationship to them. I just periodically notice how bad some commentators are and it makes me appreciate Sam and Joe so much more despite their own faults.

NHL coaches right now:
giphy.gif

Vigneault is prolly safe unless they start punishing crimes against gum.

Torts though... I wonder. I don't think he's abusive to players despite his attitude towards a lot of other people but who knows. He's definitely one of the more, uh, feisty of coaches.

Last edited:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Jets just blew the door off its hinges against the Wings. 3 goals in 2 minutes at the end of the 2nd.

Yah...was watching that 3 goal barrage in what...2 minutes as well? That Laine deke and goal was a thing of beauty. Ya gotta give that Jets team credit. Alot of peeps left them for dead when they lost their top 4 Dmen before the season. Now look at them...they are as dangerous as ever.

Reactions: egelband

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I don't know where to post this, but I'm semi-watching/listening to the Habs-Pens game and I can't believe how terrible their color commentary guy is. It's beyond annoying. Play-by-play isn't as bad but when they start to banter they're both pretty ridiculous. I mean, it's different... nothing wrong with that, but it's just massive cringe from me pretty often. I don't think I could handle this being what I hear all the time. I'm surprised I've never heard them before. The color guy has some of the Jack Edwards (who I know everyone hates but I don't mind beyond some of the extreme homerism at times, since he's talented) homer comments but without the bravado. Some of what he says is so bad it's almost good. I'm like a deer in headlights.

Prior to this I thought NJ had the worst color guy, if it's the same guy as a few years back anyway.

Zero bias, don't care what division they're in or our relationship to them. I just periodically notice how bad some commentators are and it makes me appreciate Sam and Joe so much more despite their own faults.

Vigneault is prolly safe unless they start punishing crimes against gum.

Torts though... I wonder. I don't think he's abusive to players despite his attitude towards a lot of other people but who knows. He's definitely one of the more, uh, feisty of coaches.

Was watching alot of the Habs Pens game due to my ownership of Price and I believe you are referring to Bob Errey the color guy for the Pens. Yeah he's a bigtime homer and a bit cringe worthy but I'm I guess numb to it these days as homer-ism doesn't bother me as much as it used too.

Maybe I'm on an island here with this thought process but the Jack Edwards of the world don't bug me and in fact I get a kick out of his over the top homerism and he makes me laugh. Rick Jennerette the longtime play by play voice of the Sabres has made himself world famous due to his homerism. I think he's great but some I guess don't get it.

It's about entertainment these days and hence why there is so much more of this homerism than in the past.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Was watching alot of the Habs Pens game due to my ownership of Price and I believe you are referring to Bob Errey the color guy for the Pens. Yeah he's a bigtime homer and a bit cringe worthy but I'm I guess numb to it these days as homer-ism doesn't bother me as much as it used too.

Maybe I'm on an island here with this thought process but the Jack Edwards of the world don't bug me and in fact I get a kick out of his over the top homerism and he makes me laugh. Rick Jennerette the longtime play by play voice of the Sabres has made himself world famous due to his homerism. I think he's great but some I guess don't get it.

It's about entertainment these days and hence why there is so much more of this homerism than in the past.

Jack Edwards can be entertaining and I respect his skill. Jeanerette is great! I love a lot of his classic calls with his crazy excited voice. It's not so much the homerism I mind, it's how weird and cringey it is with these Pens guys, or specifically Bob Errey. He said something so weird when the Pens were up 1-0. I can't remember the exact words but it was like "The Pens play this in your face style and force the other team to make mistakes through the neutral zone, they're up 1-0 now and with the way they play if they get to 2-0 it's near impossible for the opposing team to come back from that." But even worse. And he says it in a non-assertive way, like a kid trying to fit in and see if anyone else agrees. It's so weird. And that whole comment was so bizarre and out of place. Takes away from the game. There's no real flow. I know Joe can go off on tangents (and he does it more and more, some funny as hell, some just so annoying) and Sam struggles with names but they're such a competent and easy to listen to duo. There are many I've listened to and liked, but these Pens guys just killed it for me and I was shocked I hadn't really heard of them before =)

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Looks like Bobrovsky really took that benching to heart. Since losing two starts to Driedger he's 2-1 with a 1.36 GAA and .966 SV%. Made 46 stops tonight in a 2-1 loss against Tampa.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
they're going to end up with Lafrenier or Byfield and its ****ing bull****

Lafrenière will replace Hall, eventually. Their issues are deeper than that.

And we have our own issues to handle, beyond who we trade for what, beyond the inevitable three-headed issue in nets, beyond solidifying an effective bottom 6, beyond adding a much needed center and likely another winger to the top 6... all of that to resolve and then some coaching changes hopefully. Team would look a lot better if we had a def structure that actually fit the players we have rather than trying to convert them to a system.

Maybe this year we'll draft #1 and #2 again with the Debbies. They need a winger, we need a center.

Now what would really suck is them picking high this year AND winning #1OA next year to officially become Oilers East.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Lafrenière will replace Hall, eventually. Their issues are deeper than that.

And we have our own issues to handle, beyond who we trade for what, beyond the inevitable three-headed issue in nets, beyond solidifying an effective bottom 6, beyond adding a much needed center and likely another winger to the top 6... all of that to resolve and then some coaching changes hopefully. Team would look a lot better if we had a def structure that actually fit the players we have rather than trying to convert them to a system.

Maybe this year we'll draft #1 and #2 again with the Debbies. They need a winger, we need a center.

Now what would really suck is them picking high this year AND winning #1OA next year to officially become Oilers East.

You really think we'll even have a shot in the lottery to get lucky again and have a shot a #1/#2 pick?

We are on pace for right in the neighborhood of 88-90 points which would likely leave us out of the playoffs and in that 15-17 range. Unless I'm missing something I'm thinking that is not shitty enough for us to get into the lottery with a chance to get lucky again like this past season when we sniped Kakko.

I admittedly am not 100 % versed on the whole NHL lottery scenarios and shit but from the way I'm looking at it unless I'm completely off, we won't even have a shot at any of the studly top tier guys seeing we'll be out of the ping pong ball event. If I'm wrong, your or someone please correct me if I'm correct and that we do end up in that 15-17 range with no playoff appearance which appears likely.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You really think we'll even have a shot in the lottery to get lucky again and have a shot a #1/#2 pick?

We are on pace for right in the neighborhood of 88-90 points which would likely leave us out of the playoffs and in that 15-17 range. Unless I'm missing something I'm thinking that is not ****ty enough for us to get into the lottery with a chance to get lucky again like this past season when we sniped Kakko.

I admittedly am not 100 % versed on the whole NHL lottery scenarios and **** but from the way I'm looking at it unless I'm completely off, we won't even have a shot at any of the studly top tier guys seeing we'll be out of the ping pong ball event. If I'm wrong, your or someone please correct me if I'm correct and that we do end up in that 15-17 range with no playoff appearance which appears likely.

We were on a similar pace last year at this time. And all non-playoff teams are in the lottery.

Reactions: Stasis and Maximus

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

We are on pace for right in the neighborhood of 88-90 points which would likely leave us out of the playoffs and in that 15-17 range. Unless I'm missing something I'm thinking that is not ****ty enough for us to get into the lottery with a chance to get lucky again like this past season when we sniped Kakko.

I admittedly am not 100 % versed on the whole NHL lottery scenarios and **** but from the way I'm looking at it unless I'm completely off, we won't even have a shot at any of the studly top tier guys seeing we'll be out of the ping pong ball event. If I'm wrong, your or someone please correct me if I'm correct and that we do end up in that 15-17 range with no playoff appearance which appears likely.

I think it depends on how this team performs in December and January. That's often been the proving ground to see how the next several months will unfold.

Let's assume they're hanging outside the playoffs, they decide to move Kreider, and there's some wear and tear on the roster. This is a team that could very well finish in that 8-12 range. That probably doesn't get them a top tier skill guy, but it does potentially get them a guy who fits what they're doing and fills a need.

However, if you're sitting further back in the draft order, you hope you get a little bit of Carolina/Chicago luck and move from double digits to the the top 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad