Around the NHL: Free Agent Frenzy begins July 1 at noon

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Why would you spend the money on anisimov's cap hit instead of putting it towards saad? Offer sheet threat?

Yep. My guess is CBJ threatened to give a $5.4m offer sheet, which would give CHI only a 1st and 3rd. CHI, knowing its Cup window is still open, wanted a solid NHL'er like Anisimov and a cheap up-and-comer like Dano.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
This is the offseason that we were promised last year when LeBrun or Friedman or whoever said over 200 players would change teams. Feels like we're halfway there already.

Toronto is either screwing themselves right now or they are going to come out looking like kings when Pittsburgh gives them 3 1st rounders.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
Yep. My guess is CBJ threatened to give a $5.4m offer sheet, which would give CHI only a 1st and 3rd. CHI, knowing its Cup window is still open, wanted a solid NHL'er like Anisimov and a cheap up-and-comer like Dano.

It still doesn't make sense to me considering they could have traded sharp and/or bickell. They could have gotten futures or an anisimov-like player for sharp while gaining the space to lock up the younger asset that's going to be in the league longer and still hasn't hit his full potential

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think Dano is going to be as good as Saad at some point but I think I would have been more tempted to let the offersheets come in. Chicago has the luxury of not needing to get back immediate assets that most teams don't because they can get free agents to sign short term for them.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
And that's why he was traded. Man, these RFA's are ballsy with these asking prices. Good for them if they can get it, though.
I think Chicago is more ballsy for trying to get him to take a bridge deal that low.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think Chicago is more ballsy for trying to get him to take a bridge deal that low.

My guess is they started there and would've signed him for around what Toffoli took ($3.25m AAV) on a bridge. Saad clearly said "**** the Toffoli contract."

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think Dano is going to be as good as Saad at some point but I think I would have been more tempted to let the offersheets come in. Chicago has the luxury of not needing to get back immediate assets that most teams don't because they can get free agents to sign short term for them.

I agree. I can't believe all of the people saying Chicago got fleeced.

If they can get rid of Bickell, Anisimov's an upgrade their too. I think its a really good deal for Chicago.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
The new offer sheet compensation picks really make them a threat now. $7M is a lot to match for a contender team, and a 1st + 2nd / 3rd does nothing for a team like Chicago.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
So Columbus is going to give 6.5 long term to Saad? That's gonna sit real well with Johansen... After they hard balled him last year

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
So Columbus is going to give 6.5 long term to Saad? That's gonna sit real well with Johansen... After they hard balled him last year
Unless Saad intentionally priced himself out of Chicago like Hamilton did.

And like RoR did. :naughty:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Columbus is setting themselves up in their own little cap hell once Johansen is a RFA. Still need some long term d depth as well.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I agree. I can't believe all of the people saying Chicago got fleeced.

If they can get rid of Bickell, Anisimov's an upgrade their too. I think its a really good deal for Chicago.

Anisimov and Dano =/= the return in picks they'd get from a Saad offer sheet.

Chicago is now in a complete catch-22 with Anisimov. He's got one year on his deal and then he's UFA. So....if they slot him in for their long-vacant 2nd line C role and he succeeds, he prices himself out of Chicago. If he flops, Chicago got a complete waste.

Dano has a ton of skill, but he's blocked by Crawford (more accurately, Crawford's contract). Shedding cap is only going to get tougher moving forward, I think.

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
Anisimov and Dano =/= the return in picks they'd get from a Saad offer sheet.

Chicago is now in a complete catch-22 with Anisimov. He's got one year on his deal and then he's UFA. So....if they slot him in for their long-vacant 2nd line C role and he succeeds, he prices himself out of Chicago. If he flops, Chicago got a complete waste.

Dano has a ton of skill, but he's blocked by Crawford (more accurately, Crawford's contract). Shedding cap is only going to get tougher moving forward, I think.

Dano is a FWD
Were you thinking Dansk?

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Yeah Oscar Dansk was a bust. Dano is actually good, he will excel in Chicago.

Hopefully he learns from his countrymate Hossa.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

Saad looking for 6.5 (asking). ROR looking for 8? It will be interesting to see where both important players settle after both being traded because of pretty lofty demands.

Slightly diff circumstances with one RFA and one UFA next year. But still.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Columbus has made some peculiar moves the last 12 months...

Yeah...Saad is a good player, but I don't get this from the CBJ POV.

They just hardballed RyJo and they've got a boatload of up and coming youngsters.

Seems to me like they're just positioning themselves to have to do something quite similar to this very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad