Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He's obviously not the answer to anything right not, and I'm not upset that he's gone. But I'm surprised, and glad, to see that Connor Ingram has only lost one game so far this year. 5-1-0 with .911

The Coyotes aren't pushovers anymore and only getting better.
I mean his best win would be against either St. Louis or Montreal, both 7-5 and the rest are Anaheim, Chicago and Nashville.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
And what did we do with one of those goal scorer's?
Bought him out for one reason or another.

Even with those 2-40G scorers we ended up with just 3.20 G/GP which was 13th in the league. Right now, we are sitting at 2.93 G/GP which is roughly the average of all of Hynes seasons here with an indisputably lesser roster.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Edmonton finally pulls the trigger on their coach but adds Paul Coffey to the staff. They can’t seem to let go of their glory years.
I don't know if our finances would allow it, but I would certainly take Jack Campbell off their hands for their unprotected 1st round pick.

The "real $$$" cost is going to be basically $12M, however, if we were buying him out next June. I have no clue whatsoever if the team would be inclined to pay $12M for the shot at an extra top-10 draft pick. I would like to think that might have been possible, considering how much money we've swallowed recently just to make guys like Joey and Duchene "go away". Or maybe for those reasons it is instead LESS possible. It all comes down to the budget numbers, I suppose. But Cap-wise, we can take Campbell's hit for this year, and probably not flinch at the further 6 years of the buyout.

I'd do it to get some more darts to throw at the board in the quest for "elite" talent up front, anyway. If it was a top-10 pick, just the 2024 1st would suffice. But I'd probably make it conditional... if the Oilers improve in the standings and it goes outside the top-10, well, those picks are worth A LOT less, and maybe they need to give us 2025 also if it ends up being #11-20. Or 2026 additionally if somehow they get in the #21-32 range. :dunno:

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I don't know if our finances would allow it, but I would certainly take Jack Campbell off their hands for their unprotected 1st round pick.

The "real $$$" cost is going to be basically $12M, however, if we were buying him out next June. I have no clue whatsoever if the team would be inclined to pay $12M for the shot at an extra top-10 draft pick. I would like to think that might have been possible, considering how much money we've swallowed recently just to make guys like Joey and Duchene "go away". Or maybe for those reasons it is instead LESS possible. It all comes down to the budget numbers, I suppose. But Cap-wise, we can take Campbell's hit for this year, and probably not flinch at the further 6 years of the buyout.

I'd do it to get some more darts to throw at the board in the quest for "elite" talent up front, anyway. If it was a top-10 pick, just the 2024 1st would suffice. But I'd probably make it conditional... if the Oilers improve in the standings and it goes outside the top-10, well, those picks are worth A LOT less, and maybe they need to give us 2025 also if it ends up being #11-20. Or 2026 additionally if somehow they get in the #21-32 range. :dunno:

If they are offering an unprotected 1st to take Campbell, i personally would like to take that. Buyout wise the cap is manageable but it is 9 million in cash over 6 years so getting the owners on board may be difficult but they got bigger issues than a goalie can fix in my opinion. They need a Pesce level or above RHD, a Saros (or just below) level goalie, and a sissons level bottom 6 player to really get their team defense working for them and make the playoffs. I dont think theyll be bottom 8 but id take that gamble to buyout campbell.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If they are offering an unprotected 1st to take Campbell, i personally would like to take that. Buyout wise the cap is manageable but it is 9 million in cash over 6 years so getting the owners on board may be difficult but they got bigger issues than a goalie can fix in my opinion. They need a Pesce level or above RHD, a Saros (or just below) level goalie, and a sissons level bottom 6 player to really get their team defense working for them and make the playoffs. I dont think theyll be bottom 8 but id take that gamble to buyout campbell.
The motivation on the Edmonton side is that removing Campbell's current Cap hit at least gives them a little room (just $3.85M though) to start going after those other things they need.

It is more like $12M "real money" to us since we would still have to pay Campbell's full salary for the remainder of the current season... then the $9M over 6 more years for the buyout. So it is definitely a financial question that nobody here could answer.

I would not be deadset against sending Lankinen their way as part of any such deal. He seems pretty "competent" at the NHL level. And could play more games than we've been giving him, even if he can't be a bona fide #1 guy. Maybe that would actually help them? And as much as Lankinen has played nicely for us thus far, I don't think he holds any truly significant "asset value" to us. :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The motivation on the Edmonton side is that removing Campbell's current Cap hit at least gives them a little room (just $3.85M though) to start going after those other things they need.

It is more like $12M "real money" to us since we would still have to pay Campbell's full salary for the remainder of the current season... then the $9M over 6 more years for the buyout. So it is definitely a financial question that nobody here could answer.

I would not be deadset against sending Lankinen their way as part of any such deal. He seems pretty "competent" at the NHL level. And could play more games than we've been giving him, even if he can't be a bona fide #1 guy. Maybe that would actually help them? And as much as Lankinen has played nicely for us thus far, I don't think he holds any truly significant "asset value" to us. :dunno:
Forgot about paying this season too. Keep him loaned to where he is playing now if possible. If they go after a goalie like hart theyll send picard down and end up with about 5M total in capspace for improvements. If they go after a defense or bottom 6 upgrade, they'll have that 3.85M. I think theyd be best to go after a strong defensive rhd that can help cover up Nurse's string of dumb mistakes than a goalie. If they can clean up their defensive play, skinner is actually competent.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
If we move Lankinen out as part of the deal or a side deal Campbell could even have some bounceback potential if he's put into a low pressure situation where he's just the backup to Saros. Or if he still sucks you can keep him as the emergency backup and just recall/send down Campbell whenever you want to get Askarov an NHL start. Sort of like what we did with Saros/Mazanec back when Saros was first coming up.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Jack Campbell
EDM 1st 2024 (unprotected)
Conditional EDM 1st 2025 (conditions: if 1st 2024 is in #11-32 range, Preds get 1st 2025 also)
Conditional EDM 1st 2026 (conditions: if 1st 2024 is in #21-32 range, Preds get 1st 2026 also)

for...

Kevin Lankinen

:thumbu: It will cost the Preds $12M of real money. So that's the main tradeoff in reality. Campbell may suck but he can be backup the rest of this season... for all we use Lankinen, it's no biggie. Then Campbell is bought out on June 15th. We go Saros-Askarov in 2024-25.

Reactions: Scoresberg

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
LMAOilers
NHL Network radio wasn't kind to them today. Burying the Campbell in the second year of his deal didn't reverse things. Firing the coach didn't fix things. They don't have the cap space to bring anyone in and too many of their players have movement restrictions or salaries that make moving them a near impossibility.

Years of amazing draft choices but failing to build a team are on display right now. The thing is that if that locker room figures it out they can get back in the hunt ... it's basically the same group that took 18 of 21 down the stretch last season.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
NHL Network radio wasn't kind to them today. Burying the Campbell in the second year of his deal didn't reverse things. Firing the coach didn't fix things. They don't have the cap space to bring anyone in and too many of their players have movement restrictions or salaries that make moving them a near impossibility.

Years of amazing draft choices but failing to build a team are on display right now. The thing is that if that locker room figures it out they can get back in the hunt ... it's basically the same group that took 18 of 21 down the stretch last season.

Their GM has really tied their hands over the years. So pressed up against the cap that they cant carry extra players and make meaningful roster tweaks. As much as people give Brunette crap for pressboxing players, i bet Oilers fans wouldve loved that ability given how some players are playing.

Very poor drafting outside of the early 1st round. Even in the early 1st several big misses

Goalies go there to die and some have career resurgence after leaving (Talbot, Dubnyk, etc). Perhaps there is an issue with their goalie coach or team defense. Campbell may not be a starter long term but he is better than what he is showing. Edmonton media and pressure has completely broken his confidence.

Their top stars only seem to care about their individual stats. I keep seeing Draisaitl, McDavid, and Nurse getting caught out of position or controller disconnected on these goals against.

Hiring a coach with zero nhl experience mid season for a team expected to compete for the cup is questionable.

Reactions: PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Edmonton has made some questionable manager decisions let alone player ones over the last decade. Holland didn't do a good job in Detroit so why in the world would you hire him in Edmonton?

When Holland came in he should have dumped all the cap he could, picked up what picks he could and more or less got to a point where you had options. He didn't, so now they have no cap, no real prospects anyone wants, and a pretty bad team.

Reactions: hockey diva

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The really curious thing is that Edmonton, with virtually the same lineup last season, was very good. They won 45 games in regulation, which was second only to Boston, and the Bruins had a historic regular season.

(Maybe Poile traded the accoutrements from the country club along with Ekholm?)

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The really curious thing is that Edmonton, with virtually the same lineup last season, was very good. They won 45 games in regulation, which was second only to Boston, and the Bruins had a historic regular season.

(Maybe Poile traded the accoutrements from the country club along with Ekholm?)
Edmonton fans seem to think both McDavid and Ekholm are playing hurt. Their 1st coach changed their defensive scheme and it has been like watching a 3 stooges sketch out there. There just doesnt appear to be buy-in from those at the top of the lineup. Their defense lacks a RD anchor and Nurse isnt a strong 1st pairing LHD. McLeod has regressed and soon will become this years Yamamoto/puljujarvi. They cant keep extra players at the NHL so they cant pressbox nonperforming players.

He and Johansen? With the looks of the two teams it would seem that way.

Josi is still clearly an issue but O'Reilly seems to have over come that his work ethic and has Forsberg playing at 100%.

I think Granlund was the secret leader personally.

Duchene otherwise is on pace for his career norm 60-70 points.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Edmonton fans seem to think both McDavid and Ekholm are playing hurt. Their 1st coach changed their defensive scheme and it has been like watching a 3 stooges sketch out there. There just doesnt appear to be buy-in from those at the top of the lineup. Their defense lacks a RD anchor and Nurse isnt a strong 1st pairing LHD. McLeod has regressed and soon will become this years Yamamoto/puljujarvi. They cant keep extra players at the NHL so they cant pressbox nonperforming players.

I think Granlund was the secret leader personally.

Duchene otherwise is on pace for his career norm 60-70 points.
Granlund was like the significant other that you keep breaking up with but then getting back together. There's a reason you broke up in the first place, remember it.

• Haha
Reactions: weeze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad