Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
San Jose having a -43 goal differential in just 11 games is absolutely mind-blowing. And watch them go through this historically awful season and then Chicago wind up with the 1st overall anyway.
Chicago just got sued again for the sexual abuse scandal, so they are definitely guaranteed now to be "penalized" by winning the lottery and picking #1 again.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
In the end, these are some the things I tend not to hold against Poile too much. I remember also being a bit "stoked" about acquiring Turris, and a lot of us bought into the hype at the time. Because we were soooooo desperate for help at C.

It might have been nice if our pro scouting had been a little smarter than us fans, though. But it really was such a "desperate" situation for a while there. When you are a GM and are hunting a solution long enough, I can also see how you get a little excited when something seems to FINALLY materialize. Whups. :(
I thought the Turris trade was fantastic at the time. The guy was just coming off an Ottawa run to the Eastern Conference Final as their #1 center and looked like he'd be a fantastic 1-2 punch with Johansen. I really felt like Poile had made a great move.

And then he just vanished. I've rarely felt that let down by a player.

Reactions: PredsV82

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I remember being psyched about the Turris trade initially. It seems like he scored early in either a shootout or penalty shot with a little deke and then a laser. I remember thinking "man it's nice to have a guy that can score like that"...que up the Curb Your Enthusiasm gif.

Reactions: AnalogKid

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
but did they? Bruno helped them be the best team in the league that season.
Maybe. Hard to know how much he persisted with what Quenneville had set up and how much he changed--they had done pretty well the season before and started off 7-0 that season. That they then elected to hire Maurice instead of making Brunette the permanent coach is...strange, after their success that season.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
McDavid and Draisaitl better find that two hundred foot, hard to play against game!
Can you even imagine? Asking McDavid to slow his game way, way down so you can have tighter, group breakouts, and lug the puck up the rink with lots of short, crisp passing. Oilers fans would leave their hats in the seats and throw themselves over the glass.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Can you even imagine? Asking McDavid to slow his game way, way down so you can have tighter, group breakouts, and lug the puck up the rink with lots of short, crisp passing. Oilers fans would leave their hats in the seats and throw themselves over the glass.
This is why it must happen. I'm not sure even Hynes is crazy enough to jump into that mess.

• Haha
Reactions: Kat Predator

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Have McDrai given up? Gotta be time for a new coach, right?
I don’t think McDavid fully recovered from his injury and chose to play in the heritage classic before he was ready. I also think he’s continued to play even though he hasn’t recovered because of how things are going.

As far as Drai, I have no idea what’s caused him to fall off a cliff.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Have McDrai given up? Gotta be time for a new coach, right?
At this point its your option outside of trading one of them and you only do that after you fire the coach and it doesn't work. Truth is though I can't blame them. That team has so many holes and the only way to fix it is move some cap and move one of them to try and fill them. They essentially have 3-4 guys on the entire team that I think you find on a cup contending team.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Edmonton has a flawed team but it’s basically exactly the same team that got 109pts last year. It’s fun to watch somebody else panicking though. They should clean out the bloated front office and get a new GM to work on the flaws. But they won’t do that, of course.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Edmonton has a flawed team but it’s basically exactly the same team that got 109pts last year. It’s fun to watch somebody else panicking though. They should clean out the bloated front office and get a new GM to work on the flaws. But they won’t do that, of course.
Problem for them is that they have wasted so much cap and draft capital for nothing already they don't have much to offer. Its gotta make a former GM like Poile shake his head, can you imagine what he could have built with two players like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad