Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I will say he was mostly on the half-wall here, rarely in the low slot. But I think our PP has been a mess for years.
That's true, he was mostly on the wall where Josi is now. They tried every configuration to get those players to click, other than taking Josi off the point (what a revolt that would have been), the only time it did click was when there was good movement with players interchanging and when that happened he did actually score from the bumper or low slot area. His 20 goal season in 21-22 was all basically because of PP scoring.

The PP has had the same problem this year and the solution has been to get Josi away from the point and put him on the wall. Barrie is a much better PP QB than Josi could dream to be. Between Barrie at the point and some "switches" that are part of the PP scheme the movement is more consistent and conversely more dangerous schematically. Puck retrieval is also improved this year which isn't a surprise considering the personnel change.

Reactions: triggrman

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
That's true, he was mostly on the wall where Josi is now. They tried every configuration to get those players to click, other than taking Josi off the point (what a revolt that would have been), the only time it did click was when there was good movement with players interchanging and when that happened he did actually score from the bumper or low slot area. His 20 goal season in 21-22 was all basically because of PP scoring.

The PP has had the same problem this year and the solution has been to get Josi away from the point and put him on the wall. Barrie is a much better PP QB than Josi could dream to be. Between Barrie at the point and some "switches" that are part of the PP scheme the movement is more consistent and conversely more dangerous schematically. Puck retrieval is also improved this year which isn't a surprise considering the personnel change.
Be nice to have a 20 goal PP player this year but it wouldn’t have been him.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
RyJo with 4 goals 1 assist 5 points - Avs in 1st place in Central
Duchene with 1 goal 3 assists 4 points - Stars in 2nd place in Central
Neither being counted on to carry the team. Being paid Millions by the Preds to play and win for other teams.
1698948550011.png

Throw in Turris and the Preds Owners are giving money away by the bucket loads! DP should give back some of his own money for these horrible contracts!

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
RyJo with 4 goals 1 assist 5 points - Avs in 1st place in Central
Duchene with 1 goal 3 assists 4 points - Stars in 2nd place in Central
Neither being counted on to carry the team. Being paid Millions by the Preds to play and win for other teams.
View attachment 761759
Throw in Turris and the Preds Owners are giving money away by the bucket loads! DP should give back some of his own money for these horrible contracts!
but he had so many great contract years with Ekholm and Josi, that would be a little petty..

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Let me add that RyJo and Duchene both made, $8M+ and even though we're still paying them over half that, it opened the door for Novak and Evangelista to come in, who are matching or bettering that production. It also allowed us to bring in ROR who is outperforming both, and Nyquist who is just slightly behind.
Those were both bad contracts but it was also absolutely the right decision to cut them loose both for us and for them. Other than the owners pocketbook I don't see how cutting them is really hamstringing us at all. My position on both guys now is wishing them luck (although not their teams) and not really care about them all that much.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Those were both bad contracts but it was also absolutely the right decision to cut them loose both for us and for them. Other than the owners pocketbook I don't see how cutting them is really hamstringing us at all. My position on both guys now is wishing them luck (although not their teams) and not really care about them all that much.
Yep, couldn't care less what they do this year or the rest of their careers. It was time to walk away and there's no looking back.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Let me add that RyJo and Duchene both made, $8M+ and even though we're still paying them over half that, it opened the door for Novak and Evangelista to come in, who are matching or bettering that production. It also allowed us to bring in ROR who is outperforming both, and Nyquist who is just slightly behind.
I agree and understand they were making $8M but that is not their fault. They worked out a deal with DP and he was more than happy to sign them both to those massive contracts. Same with Turris. Hopefully the Preds can use what money they saved and bring in a young top scoring forward or two.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I agree and understand they were making $8M but that is not their fault. They worked out a deal with DP and he was more than happy to sign them both to those massive contracts. Same with Turris. Hopefully the Preds can use what money they saved and bring in a young top scoring forward or two.
I think what they saved... well, they saved $4M on Johansen, which almost bought O'Reilly as a replacement. Since we're paying Duchene $5.56M next season and $6.56M the one after, you could argue all in all maybe we saved enough on him to bring in Schenn?

So there's not really significant money "saved" for more new hires. The main thing really was just to bring in new leaders and open up playing time for our existing young players.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Nyquist is a pretty good player. May not put up great numbers but he looks solid. I’m somewhat surprised but that’s just me.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Those aren't available for just $$, unless you classify a UFA to be like William Nylander as "young." We don't really have the assets for a young top scoring forward, let alone two.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Those aren't available for just $$, unless you classify a UFA to be like William Nylander as "young." We don't really have the assets for a young top scoring forward, let alone two.
Teams don't let go of those guys anyways unless there is some issue no matter what you have to offer.

The better question would be what is the point of doing it anyways, it would essentially be putting the cart before the horse. Trotz isn't going to start making any major moves until he sees what most of his younger guys are going to look like which is a couple of seasons away.

Finally Trotz said he doesn't see us handing out contracts longer than 3-4 years anyways, and that level of player isn't going to agree to it anyways. I think he wants to see what he has while he waits for some of this dead cap and older players to move on.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If a soon-to-be-30 Leon Draisatl ever did hit free agency after next year, I would hope Trotz offers him the moon… term and $$$$. He might break Gretzky’s if it’s just the air in Nashville… :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If a soon-to-be-30 Leon Draisatl ever did hit free agency after next year, I would hope Trotz offers him the moon… term and $$$$. He might break Gretzky’s if it’s just the air in Nashville… :dunno:
I mean no offense to us but the only reason he probably chooses us is if all he cares about is money. I figure if he leaves Edmonton he is going to be looking for a contender. That said though he may want to be the top dog on a team so a team like Nashville might not look too bad.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Is it Poiles fault they fell off?

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Teams don't let go of those guys anyways unless there is some issue no matter what you have to offer.

The better question would be what is the point of doing it anyways, it would essentially be putting the cart before the horse. Trotz isn't going to start making any major moves until he sees what most of his younger guys are going to look like which is a couple of seasons away.

Finally Trotz said he doesn't see us handing out contracts longer than 3-4 years anyways, and that level of player isn't going to agree to it anyways. I think he wants to see what he has while he waits for some of this dead cap and older players to move on.
This year we have less than $5M in dead cap. The next 2 years are harder. $7.5M and $8.5M.

So while we're giving up a 2nd/3rd line middling vet this year, we're giving up a "big" contract guy the next 2 to dead space.

At some time in the distant future, my unborn grandkids will be able to see Kyle Turris' buyout end. :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: weeze

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It's looking like the Sharks may end up actually being the worst NHL team of all time 0-9-1 and are averaging 1 GF/game and 4.4 GA/game. As of now our prospect pools are pretty similar quality so if we stay the course of not tanking should be an interesting comparison to see how things work out for us and them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad