Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Friedman said there’s no evidence he bet on NHL games. He stated that the account had irregularities due to the fact there were bets placed from the account (based in New York) while he was in Ottawa. That indicates others had his login info and that is illegal and could potentially have implications on the integrity of the NHL.
I still think there is more to it than that, its just going to take a bit of time for it to come out. You don't get a 41 game suspension that you negotiated down just because someone else used your account. Just about every account online you sign up for has that stipulation in the ToS.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Sports betting has been around forever. Sports teams have forbidden players from sports betting for years under fear of suspensions including lifetime bans. All of a sudden a couple of years back it became ok. Now players can bet but there are rules. Sounds like he wasn’t suspended for betting but for violating some rule; maybe he forgot to say “May I?”. Money can cause people(and leagues) to do virtually anything.
I, for one, am sick and tired of the frequent talk by announcers of gambling stuff during games. Shows the price the NHL is paying to get their payoffs from sports betting.
Wonder how many games suspension a player would get for refusing to wear a Jersey containing gambling ads because of their beliefs?

Reactions: originalpredfan

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I still think there is more to it than that, its just going to take a bit of time for it to come out. You don't get a 41 game suspension that you negotiated down just because someone else used your account. Just about every account online you sign up for has that stipulation in the ToS.
Sounds like he just didn't quite understand the unwritten "memo". If you're going to bet... you don't just use a proxy person on your own account ... you have to use a whole separate account that the proxy sets up. whups... rookie mistake.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Sounds like he just didn't quite understand the unwritten "memo". If you're going to bet... you don't just use a proxy person on your own account ... you have to use a whole separate account that the proxy sets up. whups... rookie mistake.
I just find it interesting that he didn't get a lawyer and fight it more. Now maybe he did, and they did, but they would have had to given me proof that they knew I was having someone make bets for me, rather than me and someone else just using the same account, before I would have agreed to a 41 game suspension.

I may have eaten 10 games or something, but I'd be damned if I would have eaten that much salary unless they could show I was actively involved in those bets being placed and they were bets being placed on the NHL.

My guess is they couldn't or they would have turned it over to the State of New York. That said the State probably didn't want it either, because there has been a very wide debate for years that all of these ToS, EULA, and other laws wouldn't hold up if you actually tried to use them in court. There just has never really been enough money involved to be worth testing it.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I just find it interesting that he didn't get a lawyer and fight it more. Now maybe he did, and they did, but they would have had to given me proof that they knew I was having someone make bets for me, rather than me and someone else just using the same account, before I would have agreed to a 41 game suspension.

I may have eaten 10 games or something, but I'd be damned if I would have eaten that much salary unless they could show I was actively involved in those bets being placed and they were bets being placed on the NHL.

My guess is they couldn't or they would have turned it over to the State of New York. That said the State probably didn't want it either, because there has been a very wide debate for years that all of these ToS, EULA, and other laws wouldn't hold up if you actually tried to use them in court. There just has never really been enough money involved to be worth testing it.
I think the bottom line is Pinto knew he was guilty. He had somebody placing bets for him on his NY-based account, and the NHL knew it too, and he would have gotten even more if they "went to trial". So he took his 41 games as a "plea deal" because both sides were happy to try to just "sweep it under the carpet". :dunno:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

If it was betting on the NHL he'd be out of the league permanently ... not just 41 games.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the bottom line is Pinto knew he was guilty. He had somebody placing bets for him on his NY-based account, and the NHL knew it too, and he would have gotten even more if they "went to trial". So he took his 41 games as a "plea deal" because both sides were happy to try to just "sweep it under the carpet". :dunno:
Maybe so be we don't really know because the NHL is stupid and won't talk about the actual details so it makes sense to people.

I mean they may have little proof but considering his contract situation he may have felt it was just better to take the deal. I mean if he can only have half a season of wear, still get a year off his RFA contract, and by all considerations was getting low balled by Ottawa anyways because of their cap issues he may have been more than happy to walk into that deal.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I don't feel bad for him. I have never played any professional sport, but somehow understand that you can't bet on sports if you are a player. He's in a unique position to make life changing money, and instead wants to risk that so he can gamble on games? Seems pretty stupid to me. I get that the NHL is in deep with sports betting apps/sponsors, but why does that factor? It's 2 different conversations at play. 1 don't bet if your a player and 2 a company willing to sponsor us while we simultaneously make money that doesn't impact the first conversation.
What's next? Can't drink beer brought to you by Labatt and Bud Light!

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Ottawa is such a sh**show. Dorion getting canned and looks like theyre getting fined a 1st for botching the Dasanov trade.
The timing just seems so weird on the Dadonov penalty though. I mean, if they chose to penalize that administrative error in the immediate wake of the trade/trade attempts, ok, precedent established. But a couple years later after everybody has already moved on? :huh:

And then certain other teams can get away with FAR worse transgressions and be awarded a Bedard?

hockey diva

Lady Healer of Rohan
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I am watching the Colo/St. Louis game, johansen is standing in front of the net on their pp! Where the f*** was this player when he was here!

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I am watching the Colo/St. Louis game, johansen is standing in front of the net on their pp! Where the f*** was this player when he was here!
On the bench? We liked to put a small guy like Granlund or Arvidsson at the net front. It was unfair to block the goalie's line of sight too much.

Reactions: Scoresberg

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
NGL gonna be pretty galling if we are paying half of Joey's salary and he wins a Cup. Not that I wish we had kept him just wish we could have traded him elsewhere

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
NGL gonna be pretty galling if we are paying half of Joey's salary and he wins a Cup. Not that I wish we had kept him just wish we could have traded him elsewhere
Our only other option was going to be buying him out. Which is what I had been arguing for before the trade. But I guess they figured they wanted out of it in 2 yrs instead of 4. The 2years x $4M = $8M retained ends up being a little cheaper than 4years x $2.67M. So I can see why they took the trade route instead, But I'm sure that was the only other option available. :(

Anyway, I'm not shocked for him to do well on the PP or on faceoffs. It's more if he does anything else beyond that where I'll be surprised.

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
There were games with the Preds, streaks, you could even say stretches... where Johansen looked like an absolute beast. With Colorado's roster, he should be able to do at least the same thing. But given how his entire career has gone, it's a safe bet to say that his high points won't be consistent and there will definitely be stretches where he doesn't do anything. I still hope he does well there, and still wish he did more here.

Reactions: weeze

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
The trade was nullified at the 2022 Trade Deadline... the NHL knew enough in March 2022 to annul the trade due to an unregistered no-trade list. Ottawa should have had to forfeit their 2022 1st pick, therefore.

Instead... Chicago got that pick and Kevin Korchinski. Of course. :rolleyes:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I would imagine that being on a powerplay with MacKinnon, Makar, and Rantanen is probably benefitting Johansen a lot. He doesn't really have any 5 v 5 production from the looks of it. I think him getting to be a role player instead of the 1C will be really beneficial to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad