Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Soooooo anyone else hoping the Dead Things come back to earth soon? I know it doesn't matter to the Preds as far as the standing go and all but... old grudges die hard and I'm not ready for those guys to be good again
While I get the old grudge notion, the league itself is better off when teams like them are good.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
While I get the old grudge notion, the league itself is better off when teams like them are good.
lol, I agree but.....

1698261358705.png

We already knew what you thought of this.........

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I guess from a money making perspective having the historically good teams be good is a positive for the league, but I personally don't care at all if they are good.
Detroit, Boston, Montreal, Chicago, the Rags, Toronto, Edmonton, Pittsburgh could all fall into a ditch and collect bust 1st overalls in perpetuity for all I care and the sport would be as good as it ever was.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Look, I understand the tough penalty but at the same time they give only 4 games to a guy who tried to take Laine's head clean off..

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I mean if you're a player it should be easy enough to not gamble at sports at all so I don't have that much sympathy really. To me the funniest part is that the Sens having a helmet ad for a gambling company. I know its not going to happen because of the money involved but I really wish sports betting would go away.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Pinto being suspended for 41 games for sports gambling. There goes any idea of trading for him
I hope the league had previously arranged some VERY serious educational material for the players. They're going all-in on sports gambling promotion as a league, so it's quite a double-standard and they better have spelled that out to the players beforehand.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't feel bad for him. I have never played any professional sport, but somehow understand that you can't bet on sports if you are a player. He's in a unique position to make life changing money, and instead wants to risk that so he can gamble on games? Seems pretty stupid to me. I get that the NHL is in deep with sports betting apps/sponsors, but why does that factor? It's 2 different conversations at play. 1 don't bet if your a player and 2 a company willing to sponsor us while we simultaneously make money that doesn't impact the first conversation.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't feel bad for him. I have never played any professional sport, but somehow understand that you can't bet on sports if you are a player. He's in a unique position to make life changing money, and instead wants to risk that so he can gamble on games? Seems pretty stupid to me. I get that the NHL is in deep with sports betting apps/sponsors, but why does that factor? It's 2 different conversations at play. 1 don't bet if your a player and 2 a company willing to sponsor us while we simultaneously make money that doesn't impact the first conversation.
I dunno, it's just that had better have been spelled out very clearly to the players. I don't think having it buried in the CBA or in the fine print on page 17 of the SPC is sufficient. Guys bet on sports. He hasn't earned a lot of money in his career yet, so we're probably not talking major sums. If he's putting money in a fantasy football league, is that sufficient for a 41-game suspension? I'm not sure we'll ever find out what exactly he did, but I'm having a hard time even imagining what kind of bet on an NFL game is worth THAT level of suspension... :dunno:

Reactions: Armourboy

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I dunno, it's just that had better have been spelled out very clearly to the players. I don't think having it buried in the CBA or in the fine print on page 17 of the SPC is sufficient. Guys bet on sports. He hasn't earned a lot of money in his career yet, so we're probably not talking major sums. If he's putting money in a fantasy football league, is that sufficient for a 41-game suspension? I'm not sure we'll ever find out what exactly he did, but I'm having a hard time even imagine what kind of bet on an NFL game is worth THAT level of suspension... :dunno:
Capfriendly has him with a career earnings of $2.2M so while maybe not a lot in an NHL sense he has made a ton of money at this point. I guess we will see what the extent of it is but I saw in the ESPN article about this that rules about not gambling are posted in every locker room around the league so he should have been aware of it. I'm generally sympathetic to the fact that these younger guys like Pinto are still kids that have spent their whole life in a weird hockey ecosystem, but it also seems easy enough to me to just not gamble on sports in any form if you're a professional athlete because of the optics of it.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I don't have to "feel bad" for him to think the suspension is excessive. We'll see what other info comes out though.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
So Pinto didnt bet on NHL games which is what is prohibited via the CBA but the suspension is betting related. Whole thing is odd. 41 games is extremely harsh and it also impacts his bargaining power with Ottawa.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It's kind of hard for me to have an opinion on whether it was too severe or not given that there aren't many details at this point. They said he didn't bet on a game but there are a large suite of other things hockey related that can be bet on so who knows. There is also some mention of a proxy better so maybe he was providing insider information about the team that wasn't kosher. It was an agreed upon punishment by both parties though which makes me think it isn't some massive overreach by the NHL or anything. Who knows though my general view of the NHL is they are incompetent so it's hard to really give them the benefit of the doubt either.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I dunno, it's just that had better have been spelled out very clearly to the players. I don't think having it buried in the CBA or in the fine print on page 17 of the SPC is sufficient. Guys bet on sports. He hasn't earned a lot of money in his career yet, so we're probably not talking major sums. If he's putting money in a fantasy football league, is that sufficient for a 41-game suspension? I'm not sure we'll ever find out what exactly he did, but I'm having a hard time even imagining what kind of bet on an NFL game is worth THAT level of suspension... :dunno:
I mean, I have never read the CBA, but somehow as random man 30 miles north of Nashville, I am aware that you shouldn't gamble on sports if you are a player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad