Around the NHL 2023-24 - Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I know nothing about MLS, but I’ve been under the impression that it was pronounced Ree-al? And not Reel.

All I know about the Salt Lake team is the guy who wrote the team theme song is a guy some of my musician friends know, as they’re in the same circles. He’s the drummer for Rancid. He’s not the original drummer, but he’s been in the band for almost 20 years and he’s a Salt Lake City native. I think I watched the music video for that Real SLC anthem and it was really cringy.

I think team themes/fight songs/etc are usually beyond cringy.

The Devils Catch Fire song from 1988 was absolutely no exception.

The music video is cringy but the song is pretty catchy and well done to me.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Moab is probably my favorite place to visit outside of the central and northern California coast. Simply love it there.

Yeah, I can never decide if I hate the MLS tradition of copying random shit from big European clubs or going the full Soccer soup of naming themselves Location United FC (I cheer for one of those).

the team i played on for decades had 'location nickname' name until we started playing on a pitch that our rivals also used. the town did not want to give out a permit to us because of the town name we were using. so we said fine. were changing our name to 'SC nickname'.... for which the SC stood for the first two letters in our team's town name.

f*** those petty assholes....such a pathetic soccer program that town had.

talented sure, but the worst sportsmanship and biggest babies ever. that place.... bradford, ontario.

the rest of the league still called us our town name even after we 'moved' to another place to play

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
the team i played on for decades had 'location nickname' name until we started playing on a pitch that our rivals also used. the town did not want to give out a permit to us because of the town name we were using. so we said fine. were changing our name to 'SC nickname'.... for which the SC stood for the first two letters in our team's town name.

f*** those petty assholes....such a pathetic soccer program that town had.

talented sure, but the worst sportsmanship and biggest babies ever. that place.... bradford, ontario.

the rest of the league still called us our town name even after we 'moved' to another place to play
This is the type of resentment I never got to experience enough of mostly playing solo sports at any kind of competitive level

Reactions: njdevils1982

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
This is the type of resentment I never got to experience enough of mostly playing solo sports at any kind of competitive level

rivalries are fun. the one with those losers was very real and heated every time.

the culture of that team was ingrained into them at a young age.....i've seen their younger teams play....same trash

Reactions: Rhodes 81

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The amount of people who don’t realize Utah HC is a temporary name is wild
It is, but I kind of have the feeling it's going to end up being that anyway, mainly because it would be so on brand for the NHL to go with the most boring name possible. Although I guess we do have the Kraken, so maybe there's hope for the Yeti.

Reactions: Bleedred

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
There also would've been some group out there which would have found Yeti or Yetis offensive.

I think Yetis is just silly because when I hear Yetis I always associate them with the Himalayan mountains not Utah cause that's where most of their stories are.

I know there's plenty of teams in the league that don't make sense but at least Utah Bigfoots or Utah Abominable Snowmen would at least be more geographically correct and be more Utah related.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think Yetis is just silly because when I hear Yetis I always associate them with the Himalayan mountains not Utah cause that's where most of their stories are.

I know there's plenty of teams in the league that don't make sense but at least Utah Bigfoots or Utah Abominable Snowmen would at least be more geographically correct and be more Utah related.
Isn't the abominable snowman the same as the yeti, and from the Hymalayas?

Reactions: My3Sons

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Isn't the abominable snowman the same as the yeti, and from the Hymalayas?

Yeah but name wise the abominable snowman is the name used in the west more than yeti. It's not our team and our problem so it won't bother me no matter what name they pick.

I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if Utah Hockey Club "wins" whatever voting contest they are going to do. It's like our goal song "contest" years ago. The owners and team are going to pick the name they want no matter what the voting says.

Reactions: JK3 and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah but name wise the abominable snowman is the name used in the west more than yeti. It's not our team and our problem so it won't bother me no matter what name they pick.

I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if Utah Hockey Club "wins" whatever voting contest they are going to do. It's like our goal song "contest" years ago. The owners and team are going to pick the name they want no matter what the voting says.
Abominable Snowman? I think you mean Adorable Snowman! No no no they’re lemon.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I kind of hate all of the names that have been thrown out there. Out of the ones that are up for fan voting I like Outlaws the best, but here's an off the wall choice I think is kind of cool.

1718466294454.png

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I kind of hate all of the names that have been thrown out there. Out of the ones that are up for fan voting I like Outlaws the best, but here's an off the wall choice I think is kind of cool.

View attachment 883041
Utah Arches almost sounds like a team sponsored by McDonald's lol.

It just needs some semblance or hint of the famous logo on the jersey.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hass SLC Punks been put out there?
Somehow I have never seen that movie. Most of my friends haven't either.

If someone said they were coming over tomorrow night and wanted to bring that movie by and watch it with me, I'd probably watch it.

But somehow I've went 25 years or however long it's been out without seeing it.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

If someone said they were coming over tomorrow night and wanted to bring that movie by and watch it with me, I'd probably watch it.

Some how started it 25 min in with that link, but whole movie is there, not sure if there are ads on it or not because I never have them. But start it over and enjoy.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Some how started it 25 min in with that link, but whole movie is there, not sure if there are ads on it or not because I never have them. But start it over and enjoy.

I may watch it tomorrow or one of these non-hockey nights, which there will be plenty of very soon, if not immediately following tonight.

I never really had much interest in it, but I'd probably watch it just to watch it.

I didn't see 8 Mile for almost 20 years after that came out. I purposely avoided that because I can't stand Eminem's music. I always thought he was kind of a dick and really couldn't get into songs about killing his ex-wife and dropping F-bombs (the gay slur F-bomb) just to drop them in his songs. So I avoided that. I watched it with my then-girlfriend about 3 or 4 years ago. It wasn't a bad movie at all. I thought the ending was underwhelming, but it wasn't bad.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

View attachment 883041
Digging the color scheme.

Could they lean heavier towards the two rusty colors reminiscent of the moab, maybe, but I still like it.

The arches though? Nah. How about a weird play on that a go with the Utah Archers? Have a guy shooting an arrow off of a rock arch?

Edit: Oohh! The Archer celly off a rock arch? Who will be writing me the check for this genius idea?

Last edited:
Reactions: Normal Devil

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I saw it once, didn't like it much. I expected a "punk" movie to be edgier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad