Around the NHL 2023-24 - Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Absolutely the WORST name
It's not officially the name yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "fan vote" ends up confirming it. Apparently the color scheme at least will be the same if they change the name. Which I like. Hopefully they come up with something a little more interesting for their jerseys after this upcoming season though because those look like they took Sharks jerseys and changed the teal to whatever shade of blue it is they're using.

Upon further review the colors are Mountain Blue, Salt White, and Rock Black. Boy, I bet it took 'em a long time to come up with those.

Last edited:

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Bought by a tech bro (the most boring people) who created Qualtrics (the most boring software) and moved to Utah (the most boring state). We should not be surprised that this sucks.

Utah is an awesome state. Everything else is true, but I won't accept the Utah slander lol

It's perhaps my favorite state in the country. Love it there.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
The amount of people who don’t realize Utah HC is a temporary name is wild

To be fair they don't make it very clear in their current social media posts and last night on the broadcast they put something like "Utah nhl team will be called the Utah hockey club" on the sports ticker without saying anything about it being temporary.

Reactions: My3Sons

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I'm still holding out hope they'll figure out how to take over the Grizzlies name. So much better than any other option so far and has the history there in SLC. Not sure what legal matters would need to be ironed out to accomplish that, but that should be the end goal for the franchise name. Anything else would be a disappointment in my eyes.

Hopefully the Bruins aren't assholes and try to block it since it'd be another bear logo/name in the league. Just like they tried to stop Pittsburgh being black and yellow lol

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
The amount of people who don’t realize Utah HC is a temporary name is wild

To be fair, Utah HC might actually end up better than whatever they change it to. I don’t know anybody who prefers Commanders over just leaving it as Washington Football Team.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
To be fair, Utah HC might actually end up better than whatever they change it to. I don’t know anybody who prefers Commanders over just leaving it as Washington Football Team.

I mean, it's done world wide in association football (soccer). AFC <city>, FC <city>, <city> FC. Sometimes there's a nickname in there, but often not or it's minor. Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur. Sometimes they just use "United" or Royal or whatever.

The choice of "Team" was cringe - club makes more sense. Washington FC as the name would've been really cool. I think overloading the mascots is kind of stupid really.

New Jersey Devils HC would be neat. NJHC, DHC, etc would be shorthands. But you wouldn't need it.

But Utah HC would be just fine.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I mean, it's done world wide in association football (soccer). AFC <city>, FC <city>, <city> FC. Sometimes there's a nickname in there, but often not or it's minor. Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur. Sometimes they just use "United" or Royal or whatever.

The choice of "Team" was cringe - club makes more sense. Washington FC as the name would've been really cool. I think overloading the mascots is kind of stupid really.

New Jersey Devils HC would be neat. NJHC, DHC, etc would be shorthands. But you wouldn't need it.

But Utah HC would be just fine.
The thing about that, though, is that all these soccer teams were named that way before sports teams had names and were huge international business opportunities. It's cool because it's historical.

Naming an NHL team "Hockey Club", in a country and a sport that doesn't have that huge legacy, especially a "new" team in 2024, is sorta cringey imho

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
The thing about that, though, is that all these soccer teams were named that way before sports teams had names and were huge international business opportunities. It's cool because it's historical.

Naming an NHL team "Hockey Club", in a country and a sport that doesn't have that huge legacy, especially a "new" team in 2024, is sorta cringey imho

Even if they went that route, they still wouldn't be the cringiest named team in their market.

Two decades later, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell is "Real" about Salt Lake CIty.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Even if they went that route, they still wouldn't be the cringiest named team in their market.

Two decades later, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell is "Real" about Salt Lake CIty.
I know nothing about MLS, but I’ve been under the impression that it was pronounced Ree-al? And not Reel.

All I know about the Salt Lake team is the guy who wrote the team theme song is a guy some of my musician friends know, as they’re in the same circles. He’s the drummer for Rancid. He’s not the original drummer, but he’s been in the band for almost 20 years and he’s a Salt Lake City native. I think I watched the music video for that Real SLC anthem and it was really cringy.

I think team themes/fight songs/etc are usually beyond cringy.

The Devils Catch Fire song from 1988 was absolutely no exception.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I know nothing about MLS, but I’ve been under the impression that it was pronounced Ree-al? And not Reel.

I know it is. They're copying the style of a Spanish team called Real Madrid.

It makes no sense for a team in Utah to be called that. And yet here we are.

Like I said, super cringey.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know it is. They're copying the style of a Spanish team called Real Madrid.

It makes no sense for a team in Utah to be called that. And yet here we are.

Like I said, super cringey.
Ahh, I wasn’t sure how it was pronounced, but you’ve confirmed what I thought.

I think a lot of MLS (and even some of the international soccer teams) teams have weird names.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC

Association football isn't much older than the NHL, really, and it's younger than college football in the U.S. It's weird to think of, because soccer has such rich traditions associated with it, but it's true!

And the MLS could have followed north American league tradition and didn't.

Note: Real Salt Lake is co-owned by our very own David Blitzer now. The founder was Dave Checketts ... weird. He wanted to buck the trend and go with typical Spanish La Liga naming. I think the hope was to get some sort of tie-in to one of the big clubs there but it never happened.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Note: Real Salt Lake is co-owned by our very own David Blitzer now. The founder was Dave Checketts ... weird. He wanted to buck the trend and go with typical Spanish La Liga naming. I think the hope was to get some sort of tie-in to one of the big clubs there but it never happened.
I thought I saw something about that before.

Is Ryan Smith also an owner? Or is he just with the Jazz and the hockey team?

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Utah is an awesome state. Everything else is true, but I won't accept the Utah slander lol

It's perhaps my favorite state in the country. Love it there.
Moab is probably my favorite place to visit outside of the central and northern California coast. Simply love it there.
about the real salt lake name... so forced and extremely moronic
Yeah, I can never decide if I hate the MLS tradition of copying random shit from big European clubs or going the full Soccer soup of naming themselves Location United FC (I cheer for one of those).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad