Around the NHL 2023-24 - Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Some teams may use it to quickly check on other teams' situations, but it's not data they couldn't access otherwise. I guarantee you no one is managing their own cap using capfriendly.

Any team that was actually using this as a database will have spent a few hours frantically screencapping everything before it comes down anyway. This would just mean they have to do their own accounting moving forward to keep up with every team's situation.
Capfriendly actually had contracts with teams to use it as basically their cap management system

So it’s definitely going to throw a wrench in teams plans. It’s only a matter of time before someone else makes the same program

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Capfriendly actually had contracts with teams to use it as basically their cap management system

So it’s definitely going to throw a wrench in teams plans. It’s only a matter of time before someone else makes the same program
how could they then turn around and sell the business to one single team without some type of notice?

Friedman also mentioned a few teams that already have their own infrastructure. The Devils was one of them.

i know rich people are cheap AF but this takes things to an entirely new level of billionaires being cheap. never would've thought these teams wouldn't have their own versions of cap friendly or at least the league itself. wonder if teams were scrambling when netflix stopped password sharing

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
Friedman also mentioned a few teams that already have their own infrastructure. The Devils was one of them.

Friedman also mentioned Vegas has an internal option for a cap friendly replacement.

how could they then turn around and sell the business to one single team without some type of notice?
It seems Cap friendly negotiated to keep the website open publicly until July 5th so that it can be used for the draft and the start of free agency. After that teams are on their own to find an alternative.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Yeah see like I said. A ton of teams have nothing like cap friendly so it is a huge blow to them.

What's wrong with a notebook?

1718122549613.png

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

i know rich people are cheap AF but this takes things to an entirely new level of billionaires being cheap. never would've thought these teams wouldn't have their own versions of cap friendly or at least the league itself. wonder if teams were scrambling when netflix stopped password sharing
I was mind blown that the nhl didn’t have a central registry that logged NMC and NTC list since dadonov thing got messed up in that fiasco last year

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Yeah see like I said. A ton of teams have nothing like cap friendly so it is a huge blow to them.
thats on them then for being stupid and cheap. i have no problem for the capitals buying the site hell if it hurts teams as much as some say i wish the devils did it long ago.

I was mind blown that the nhl didn’t have a central registry that logged NMC and NTC list since dadonov thing got messed up in that fiasco last year
thats what i thought i mean without one it would take forever for them to verify all the small details of trades. maybe thats why teams have been able to circumvent the cap all these years with LTIR the league is just taking the teams words for it.

honestly just have each team pay 20,000 a year to a general fund and there you go hire someone/s to run it.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I saw reigning Vezina winner was traded and immediately went to go look up where Ullmark got traded to and what exactly nothing meant lol.

I'm assuming he's talking about the time Vegas traded the then-Vezina winner to Chicago for nothing.

Reactions: tailfins

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Some teams may use it to quickly check on other teams' situations, but it's not data they couldn't access otherwise. I guarantee you no one is managing their own cap using capfriendly.

Any team that was actually using this as a database will have spent a few hours frantically screencapping everything before it comes down anyway. This would just mean they have to do their own accounting moving forward to keep up with every team's situation.
It would be an improvement for some, didn't a trade get nixed recently because one team didn't realize someone had a NTC when they initially acquired them? I vaguely seem to remember Vegas being on at least one end of that transaction. It wouldn't shock me if the NHL was in the Stone Age with this kind of stuff, especially since THEY aren't the ones buying this site.

Think that was the one I was thinking of!

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I’d be curious how far up the hockey food chain the HF awareness goes. The main boards are a cesspool of negativity but it does provide some sense of what the more devoted fans are thinking about.

At least for the more active fanbases on here it does. We're lucky our board gets good traffic, with a large group of longtime, regular posters.

Some of the other team boards are damn near ghost towns, with their fans more active on Reddit or Twitter than here.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
At least for the more active fanbases on here it does. We're lucky our board gets good traffic, with a large group of longtime, regular posters.

Some of the other team boards are damn near ghost towns, with their fans more active on Reddit or Twitter than here.
Not that this old school board is well thought out format, but it seems much better than reddit with its seeming stream of consciousness piles of messages or twitter with its character limit. I have looked at some reddit stuff and it trails off very quickly and of course twitter is just a series of one liners.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Not that this old school board is well thought out format, but it seems much better than reddit with its seeming stream of consciousness piles of messages or twitter with its character limit. I have looked at some reddit stuff and it trails off very quickly and of course twitter is just a series of one liners.
A youtuber who serves as a sort of historian for one of my hobbies recently talked about how the move of many enthusiast communities from forums to twitter or discord servers basically obliterates record keeping within these communities.

This board is a relic of the past, but when message boards were in their heyday they were the place to discuss topics and can be referred back to even today to see specifics of discussions from a decade ago. Reddit is not as easily searchable and has algorithmic displays rather than chronological, but it at least preserves the information for future reference.

Meanwhile, Twitter technically has the discussions still there, but they're buried behind labyrinths of response chains and usually obfuscated by sheer volume (and at the mercy of a petulant child with money). Discords are even worse because they're pure chatroom style (which can be intimidating for those that are new to a community and can't spend their day constantly checking in), unsearchable, visible only to those that have gained membership, and often membership is locked behind paywalls.

In another 10 years, you'll likely still be able to find these posts but anything shared in those discord servers or across mainstream social platforms will basically be lost to time. It's mostly inconsequential, but something about it is still quite sad to me.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Goes up pretty far. Years ago Bob McKenzie was on here briefly and ended up calling the mainboards a bunch of ass clowns.

The puck soup guys frequently poke fun at hf boards as well. So that's DGB, Ryan Lambert and formally Wysh.

I'd wager this place is extremely well known by hockey media and is probably decently known among NHL front offices

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Goes up pretty far. Years ago Bob McKenzie was on here briefly and ended up calling the mainboards a bunch of ass clowns.

Bob liked my post regarding his 2010 Draft rankings. I ran into him during Day 2 of the draft a week later and apologized that I didn't bring him a cigar (Edit: I might have asked him where my cigar was and it took him a moment but he responded with 'oh that was you'). Don't think he's posted on HF in awhile (understandably).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad