Status
Not open for further replies.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Is the premise of the article accurate?
No. Half the league passed on him because he is a smallish one-dimensional player who isn't good enough to play in top 6 and doesn't add anything to bottom 6. And you can't be paying guys like that more than you can bury without cap implications.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I don’t see Tolvanen amounting to much. But seeing that the Blues love underwhelming forwards, they will deeply regret not claiming him.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Is the premise of the article accurate?
Overall? I very much disagree with the premise.

The author describes Tolvanen as a "young, cheap prospect with high upside." He's a 23 year old who turns 24 in April, makes twice the league minimum, is under contract for another season beyond this one and was unable to crack the lineup of a team outside playoff position. He might still have upside and you can argue that he could be cheap relative to that upside. But he isn't cheap based on his actual on-ice contribution this year and 23 pushing 24 with 135 NHL games played isn't what most consider a young prospect. At absolute best, the premise strains the definition of a couple words and ignores all downside.

The assertion that "he would have been an excellent depth piece for the Blues" is at best an opinion and ignores that he has not been an excellent depth piece for the Predators.

The assertion that "Tolvanen could have easily slid into the Blues’ top-9 forward group, even when Buchnevich returns from injury" is also at best an opinion that is not supported by his play in Nashville.

All told, I would go as far as saying that the premise is inaccurate. The article as a whole ignores all possibility that Tolvanen could continue being the player that he has been this season and ignores that getting a 20-25 point defensive liability at $1.45M for this year and next would be at all detrimental to the team. The author focuses only on upside and completely ignores potential downside. He goes so far as to describe the worst-case-scenario in a way that is objectively better than Tolvanen's current level of play.

Additionally, some of the details are objectively inaccurate. Placing Buch on IR would not create the required cap space to fit Tolvanen under the cap. It would open up a roster spot, but offer no cap relief. We would have to put either Buch or Brown on LTIR to make it work and eventually we would have to waive someone else. Downplaying the cap shuffle needed to make a claim undercuts the accuracy of his premise that there was no downside.

There's an argument that the Blues should have put a claim in, but the premise of this article is awful.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Also important to note that Cap Friendly has us at 48 of 50 contracts. That and the extra year are factors that fans tend to overlook. Especially if we are looking to sell of expensive pieces at the deadline, it would probably be smart to have some extra contract space if we need to take on more expiring deals to get a deal done.
Was thinking the same thing the other day.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Regretting that we didn't claim an underperforming player (Tolvanen) is such a reach and then the "writer's" first comparison was to Parayko. So weird. I was unaware of that site's rep, but didn't matter anyway because the premise was almost The Onion. It's a funny article with its big swing and miss.

Reactions: Celtic Note

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Tolvanen is far from a defensive liability, by the way. I don’t really care that we didn’t claim him but he’s had better defensive results than offensive over his short career.

Reactions: ezcreepin

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
We don't need more passengers on our bus at this time. We need to unload the bus first. Then we can start loading guys that will fight to drive the bus. Expect this unload/load process to begin early next year.

Reactions: BlueMed

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Didn't realize how well the Kraken are doing. Dunn arguably their best defenseman. Makes the Krug contract even worse.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Somebody named J.J. Moser is the 3rd leading scorer, with the 2nd most games played, amongst the 2021 draft class. A LHD to boot, playing for the Yotes. I don't know anything about him, (nor would I expect him to be made available by B.Army) but I'm surprised to see such a young defensemen (from Switzerland, no less) making such an early impact in the league. He was drafted as an over-ager and actually made his debut last year (at 21 y.o.) so he's not exactly a prodigy, but perhaps is worth keeping an eye on from afar. That or the Coyotes are so desperate for talent that they had no other choice but to rush his development. Either way, interesting guy that I knew nothing about prior to killing my last hour of work on Hockeydb.com.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Didn't realize how well the Kraken are doing. Dunn arguably their best defenseman. Makes the Krug contract even worse.
Someone please help me figure this out.

The Kraken are doing extremely well this season with Dunn as their best D-man.

The Blues are doing lousy this season because you can’t win in the NHL when Faulk and Parayko are your best D-men.

How can both of these statements be true?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Someone please help me figure this out.

The Kraken are doing extremely well this season with Dunn as their best D-man.

The Blues are doing lousy this season because you can’t win in the NHL when Faulk and Parayko are your best D-men.

How can both of these statements be true?
Seattle has competent defenders on all pairings and on penalty-killing. If the four guys behind Parayko and Faulk were as good as the four guys behind Dunn, the Blues defense would look a hell of a lot more capable. Every one of Dunn's defensive teammates is taller than he as well; and he's 6'0".

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Seattle has competent defenders on all pairings and on penalty-killing. If the four guys behind Parayko and Faulk were as good as the four guys behind Dunn, the Blues defense would look a hell of a lot more capable. Every one of Dunn's defensive teammates is taller than he as well; and he's 6'0".

The guys behind him are also defensive guys aside from Schultz. So you have a shut down guy on every pair and 2 on the 3rd pair. They probably also have a better defensive scheme than we do. I don't know what their defensive scheme is. I just know it can't be any worse than ours which seems to center around leaving the backdoor wide open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad