Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Hall to Chicago. That's an interesting move as I thought Hall was decent for the Bruins the last couple of years

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Whoever it was that voted McDavid 5th in the Hart should lose their vote. I know it didn't really impact anything, but if you're going to vote at least take it seriously.

McDavid should have not won but I suppose since the playoffs aren't included you can't really vote Tkachuk but dammit it should have been Tkachuk.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I know this is not a novel concept, but it’s long past time to have a Selke equivalent award for Dmen. Erik Karlsson was absolutely atrocious defensively this year and won the Norris. It’s a joke of an award.
They are just waiting for Karlsson to retire. Then Norris will go to the best defensive defenseman and the "Karlsson" for the highest point producing defenseman. :sarcasm:

Reactions: mk80

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
McDavid should have not won but I suppose since the playoffs aren't included you can't really vote Tkachuk but dammit it should have been Tkachuk.
Should have or shouldn't have? McDavid scored the 15th most points all time and was only beaten out by Gretzky, Lemieux, and Yzerman. If scoring 20% or being part of nearly half of the teams goals isn't most valuable, then idk what is.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Should have or shouldn't have? McDavid scored the 15th most points all time and was only beaten out by Gretzky, Lemieux, and Yzerman. If scoring 20% or being part of nearly half of the teams goals isn't most valuable, then idk what is.

It means your team sucks ass. Tkachuk completely changed the Panthers and without him absolutely do not make it past the Bruins. Hell, they probably don't even make the playoffs.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
It means your team sucks ass. Tkachuk completely changed the Panthers and without him absolutely do not make it past the Bruins. Hell, they probably don't even make the playoffs.
Well if he was so important to the Panthers then he should've won playoff MVP

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
The Panthers barely did make the playoffs and that was , in part, thanks to the Penguins choking against an awful Chicago team with nothing to play for. This was largely the same team that won the President's Trophy the year before, not some moribund Panthers team of old. Tkachuk is a very good player and deserved Hart votes, but he was not in any way more impactful during the regular season than McDavid. You seem to be retconning an entire season based off a flukey SC run powered by insane goaltending and OT goals. That's what the Conn Smythe is for.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Well if he was so important to the Panthers then he should've won playoff MVP

Hard to do that when the refs bounce you from game 1 and 2 for legitimately no reason and then you suffer a broken sternum and are unable to finish the series. Good try though, everyone knows the losing team almost never gets Con smythe.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Hard to do that when the refs bounce you from game 1 and 2 for legitimately no reason and then you suffer a broken sternum and are unable to finish the series. Good try though, everyone knows the losing team almost never gets Con smythe.
I mean you're arguing against a fan of Tkachuk. I don't even disagree that he's the most important player on the Panthers, but he's not the most important player to his team compared to all the others.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The Oilers scored more goals than any team in hockey this season and put up the 2nd highest total in the salary cap era. It is beyond idiotic to suggest that a single player scoring 20% of the goals for the 2nd highest scoring team in the cap era means that the team sucked ass.

McDavid led the league in goals and assists this year. His 64 goals was the 2nd most in the salary cap era and his 89 assists was 3rd most (Thornton had two separate 90+ assist season). His 153 points is 25 points above the 2nd most in the history of the cap era. It's 15th all time and the only players who ever put up more points in a season are Gretzky, Mario, and Yzerman.

It is asinine to suggest that a 40 goal and 109 point player who completely changed team (from a 122 point President's Trophy winner to a 92 point 8 seed who finished with fewer points thatn Calgary) deserves MVP over the truly historic season that McDavid just had.

Tkachuk is a great player. There is no coherent or sane argument that he should have won the MVP this year.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
The Oilers scored more goals than any team in hockey this season and put up the 2nd highest total in the salary cap era. It is beyond idiotic to suggest that a single player scoring 20% of the goals for the 2nd highest scoring team in the cap era means that the team sucked ass.

McDavid led the league in goals and assists this year. His 64 goals was the 2nd most in the salary cap era and his 89 assists was 3rd most (Thornton had two separate 90+ assist season). His 153 points is 25 points above the 2nd most in the history of the cap era. It's 15th all time and the only players who ever put up more points in a season are Gretzky, Mario, and Yzerman.

It is asinine to suggest that a 40 goal and 109 point player who completely changed team (from a 122 point President's Trophy winner to a 92 point 8 seed who finished with fewer points thatn Calgary) deserves MVP over the truly historic season that McDavid just had.

Tkachuk is a great player. There is no coherent or sane argument that he should have won the MVP this year.

Come on now, calling it historic is a little out there. It's been done by others and done better. Just because it hasn't been done for a while doesn't all of a sudden make it historic. That's why in my original post I said it's a shame the playoffs aren't counted when voting because that would put Tkachuk over the top because no matter how many regular season poins McDavid scores he doesn't have the same ability to will a team to victory the way Tkachuk did for the Panthers. So yes, Tkachuk did change that team, they were p***yes last year, this year? they played more like the Blues did in 2019. Aggresive and relentless.

• Haha
Reactions: WaltPoddubny

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Come on now, calling it historic is a little out there. It's been done by others and done better. Just because it hasn't been done for a while doesn't all of a sudden make it historic. That's why in my original post I said it's a shame the playoffs aren't counted when voting because that would put Tkachuk over the top because no matter how many regular season poins McDavid scores he doesn't have the same ability to will a team to victory the way Tkachuk did for the Panthers. So yes, Tkachuk did change that team, they were p***yes last year, this year? they played more like the Blues did in 2019. Aggresive and relentless.
Yes, it's been done by others and better. By Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemiuex. That's it. Yzerman had a single season with barely more points, and it was in a year where the league scored 3.74 gpg versus 3.18 this year.

Only two players in history have put up comparable years to McDavid's this season. Your standard is the one that's "out there."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad