Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
If Petro didn’t care about the dollars why was he asking for over $1mm more AAV than blurs were offering? I don’t doubt they had differing views on structure and protection, but again they were far apart on $. That was the deal killer. Occams razor.
Didn't he lower his asking after Josi signed? Do we know he drew a line in the sand at $9M with the Blues. Do we know he wouldn't have signed at $8M if he got the structure and trade protection he wanted? We don't know either way. We do know he signed for only 800k more without the 8th year,

I mean we can argue this til we are Blue in the face (pun intended). IMO, Pietrangelo was within his right to get the best deal he could, and IMO Armstrong messed up but not budging enough to sign him. That doesn't mean Army should have given him anything. But it means he should have given an offer that would beat his current deal with the extra year we could offer. Even if that meant we should have missed out on the Blues legend Tory Krug and waited for Pietrangelo to test the market and set the deal.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Didn't he lower his asking after Josi signed? Do we know he drew a line in the sand at $9M with the Blues. Do we know he wouldn't have signed at $8M if he got the structure and trade protection he wanted? We don't know either way. We do know he signed for only 800k more without the 8th year,

I mean we can argue this til we are Blue in the face (pun intended). IMO, Pietrangelo was within his right to get the best deal he could, and IMO Armstrong messed up but not budging enough to sign him. That doesn't mean Army should have given him anything. But it means he should have given an offer that would beat his current deal with the extra year we could offer. Even if that meant we should have missed out on the Blues legend Tory Krug and waited for Pietrangelo to test the market and set the deal.
If I recall correctly, contract discussions were tabled at the start of the season, and Josi signed about a month into the 19-20 season, so there wasn't really talks following that contract comp. Then covid hit and threw everything into chaos.

I've always been curious how things may have panned out if Petro came off his rumored $10mil ask that summer. Was DA willing to offer Josi type of money?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don't think so. I could be wrong. I am definitely not a tax accountant. But MO state tax is like 5% at the high end. That's would be like $500k on $10M. But that only factors in on home games. You pay the state income tax where you play. So home games you get the tax benefit, but away games, maybe not. So its more like $250k on $10M.

Pietrangelo makes less than $10M. So we are looking at less that$250k more without factoring in the extra year. That also ignores all the ways rich people with very good accountants have to minimize their taxable income.
I think all the signing bonus is taxed in Vegas. What you describe is accurate for regular salary.

35 of 61M is signing bonus, so more than 75% would benefit from no state income tax. For a player who seems to nickel and dime his income, as demonstrated with his real estate history as well as other negotiations, it’s a non-trivial amount. I think it’s enough to show that Vegas was offering more real dollars.

People tend to discount any money he can earn in that next contract for the equivalent 8th year, but it’s not zero.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Here's my take on Pietro thing.

#1 To me he really didn't need a NMC. Dude is stud and yes he earned but is his play going to fall off that much they will try to send him to minors. Doubtful, but in Vegas you probably want the NMC the way they go through players.

#2 They aren't the same, but a NTC is almost as good as NMC. If you have full NTC and teams wants to trade you, you have control of the situation with NTC. Just using the common example now, people want Krug gone who has full NTC. If Army asks him, and Krug can be like I will take trade to X, Y, or Z teams.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Here's my take on Pietro thing.

#1 To me he really didn't need a NMC. Dude is stud and yes he earned but is his play going to fall off that much they will try to send him to minors. Doubtful, but in Vegas you probably want the NMC the way they go through players.

#2 They aren't the same, but a NTC is almost as good as NMC. If you have full NTC and teams wants to trade you, you have control of the situation with NTC. Just using the common example now, people want Krug gone who has full NTC. If Army asks him, and Krug can be like I will take trade to X, Y, or Z teams.

All I know is that if I'm 100% committed to being somewhere, I'm willing to compromise. If someone says I need A, B, C, D or else I'm going somewhere else, then I question how badly that person wants to be there in the first place. It has been reported that Army and Stillman were willing to give him more signing bonus money than they usually offer, but I question how willing Petro was to meet them in the middle. People often overlook the fact that the signing bonus was a big part of it along with the NMC.

Signing with Vegas was probably a smart move for Petro personally, but painting him as some kind of victim in this situation is silly. He made his choice.

Last edited:

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
By the way, the notion that the Pietrangelo decision by the GM is played out is a ridiculous concept.

We still have the same GM now, on the team. So it is very relevant to the team, now. Because he's the same decisionmaker, and his decisions have taken the team into a ditch. How do people not comprehend that it's not in the past so long as the same decider is deciding?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
One reason we may not be hearing a more descriptive account of Pietro leaving St Louis is because he wants to play for Canada and Armstrong has a large role with that team. Even if things got personal in the negotiation (I’m reminded of Pietro holding out as a young player) he will not want public bad blood that might make it hard for him to participate in international tournaments.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I’d take him @ $3 mil per or less on a one or two year deal. Ideally, we move both Krug/Scandella, and replace with Hanifin or someone similar, and then OEL to challenge Leddy to the 2LD spot.

Something like this

Hanifin-Parayko
Leddy-Faulk
OEL-Tucker/Bortuzzo
He was awful last year. Apparently never recovered from broken foot. Hard to see him getting more than $1mm prove you can move contract.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Hard to get amped up for the coming season. Pang gone and team lacks heart. Wake me in October, I might feel better about it by then.
I think there's more reason to be optimistic. Last season was bad because the defense issues were exacerbated.

Now, Armstrong is basically forced either address the defense or acknowledge this team won't be contending for the POs and punt the season and look to 2024-2025.

Reactions: Spicy Panger

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
By the way, the notion that the Pietrangelo decision by the GM is played out is a ridiculous concept.

We still have the same GM now, on the team. So it is very relevant to the team, now. Because he's the same decisionmaker, and his decisions have taken the team into a ditch. How do people not comprehend that it's not in the past so long as the same decider is deciding?

You mean the same decision maker that brought the team our first Stanley Cup? What a shame we still have him making the tough choices for us.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
You mean the same decision maker that brought the team our first Stanley Cup? What a shame we still have him making the tough choices for us.
Yes, that same guy. He doesn't know why the Cup was won and that's why his post-Cup decisions to try to bring a second Cup have been so bad.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis

1687614286505.gif

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Wow, Nashville moved Johansen to Colorado. I hate him so I’m glad I will get to continue doing that.

Trotz doing a pretty good job clearing some cap space and retooling that team so far, IMO.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Makes no sense for Nashville to eat so much of that remaining contract and get nothing in exchange. Are they throwing in the towel for competing next year? Eating $4M/yr for two-years and leaving a hole at your forward ranks doesn't make much sense unless they're about to rebuild. Duchene, Forsberg, Josi and Saros. That's the core of the team now. And I bet they could get a haul for Saros if they're looking for futures and ready to hand the nets to Askarov.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Makes no sense for Nashville to eat so much of that remaining contract and get nothing in exchange. Are they throwing in the towel for competing next year? Eating $4M/yr for two-years and leaving a hole at your forward ranks doesn't make much sense unless they're about to rebuild. Duchene, Forsberg, Josi and Saros. That's the core of the team now. And I bet they could get a haul for Saros if they're looking for futures and ready to hand the nets to Askarov.
preds fans say it's cheaper than buying him out and he's cooked

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Good we have Krug in our team. This team is going to be painfull to watch. Well if Army doesnt knowledge where we are at now, we are heading to re-build not re-tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad