Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL

The plan remains for Shanahan to do his due diligence in finding the next GM of the Leafs but it seems former Calgary Flames GM Brad Treliving is the focus this week. Talks between the two are expected to continue well into next week … Blues president and GM Doug Armstrong has always told those close to him that his dream job would be running the Leafs. Yet it seems unlikely he ends up in Toronto for two reasons: the three years remaining on his contract in which he has no out clause; and having to report to someone other than ownership. In St. Louis, Armstrong has total control over the his team and only answers to owner Tom Stillman
Even if it's your dream to run the Leafs, do you really want to take the job now? One year to go for it then Matthews either gets a raise or walks. They have so little flexibility with that roster and you'd be even more restricted if Shanahan or whoever else has to approve your moves. I feel like you'd be stuck with this roster for a year, then you'd be stuck with a worse roster. All while in the market with the dumbest, loudest media.

Don't take over the Leafs now. If you want it, take over after the next guy.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Damn Bob has a .935 save percentage. It's been a good bounce back for him as he has been dissapointing these past couple of years

Reactions: mk80

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I’m kinda vibing with another Pietrangelo-Barbashev Cup. Former Blues draftee, Carrier will most likely his chance as well.

Sean Burke (Goaltending Coach) being involved is cool, but that also means Quick might get a 3rd opportunity. Dang.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
The rule could be different for goalies, but you either have to play a game in the finals, or 41 on the winning team in the regular season. I don't see Hill giving up the net at all with how he has been playing though.
Isn’t there a thing though that a team can add a couple special names? Like how the Blues had Thorburn on there?

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Doesn’t every GM work with those constraints? They are answering to the ownership group about big moves, in some fashion. In this case it’s through the president of hockey operations.

We‘ve heard Doug Armstrong talk about taking offers to the owner first, and I’d have to think ST Louis has the least meddling style. Contrast that with the stuff Armstrong in Arizona has to deal worth. I guess I don’t see Dubas’ situation terribly differently. He got to hire his coach.

There may be some legit beefs with how Shanahan managed him, but all I’ve seen on this forum is bizarre character assertions from the distant past, about unrelated issues. Is there anything concrete to this today?
I don't necessarily think you're incorrect. Just relaying the sentiment that seems to have been spread, be it by media, Dubas' "team", or fans.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

A lateral move from one GM position to another has been unprecedented in the last 15 years. Many general managers that move from organization to organization do so with a change in roles and have not immediately jumped from GM to GM.

Ken Holland spent 18 days as a senior vice president in Detroit before he was hired as the Oilers’ general manager. Steve Yzerman was a senior advisor for seven months in Tampa Bay before he moved to Detroit. Lou Lamoriello was a senior advisor for 22 days in Toronto before the Islanders hired him to be the general manager. Dale Tallon (Chicago to Florida) and Jim Rutherford (Carolina to Pittsburgh) had similar paths.
I genuinely don't understand how writers can botch such a major point of this story. The balance of power between Dubas and Shanny was heavily discussed as a contributing factor Dubas and the Leafs parting ways. The fact that Dubas was GM and Shanny is President of Hockey Operations was a well-known, reported story line.

How the hell are we ignoring that Army is the President of Hockey Operations and GM just a handful of days later? I'm not saying that there is no chance Army is interested in the position or that there is zero chance that he could leave. I think it is unlikely, but I won't go as far as accusing reporters of just making things up.

But in an article about the hurdles of him going to Toronto, how the hell is it being reported that it would be a lateral GM to GM move? It would be a demotion. He would go from leading the hockey department and reporting directly to the owner to being the #2 in the hockey department and reporting to the #1 who then reports directly to ownership. Come on.

Edit: and the other article talking about how Army's dream job would be running the Leafs. That's great. That job is not available at the moment. Brendan Shanahan is the man running the Leafs. That would be Army's dream job. And conveniently enough for him, that job very well might become available as his Blues contract expires depending on how the next couple years shake out for the Leafs.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
According to him, the Hurricanes were not swept by the Panthers and did not lose 4 games in a row resulting in their elimination.. Guess we just weren't paying attention??
His wording was a bad choice but I see the point he was trying to make. Sure the Hurricanes got swept by Panthers in the fact they lost four games, but he was trying to illustrate the point that all the games were close and they could of gone either way.

The Hurricanes struggled to score goals against the Panthers. But to the coach's larger point they were never out of any of the games with the scores reading 3-2 (4OT), 2-1 (OT), 1-0, and 4-3 (GWG 4 seconds left), and the way they played out I'd say other than the shutout the other 3 could have easily been Carolina on the winning side with a timely bounce or Florida miscue, etc.

But yes at the end of the day the Canes did get swept by the Panthers there's no arguing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad