Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Lmao Tkachuk is such a superstar and people on this board try to convince themselves trading for him would have made us worse.

Classic.
has anybody said adding him (for kyrou) would have made us worse? some folks have balked at adding parayko or faulk to package, but i don't think anybody on here is questioning that tkachuk would be our best forward. am i missing someone saying that?

Reactions: Xanadude

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Canes got what they deserved. Everyone knew they needed to add another scorer after Patches got hurt again. They were like, "Nah, we don't do rentals. We are too smart for that. We have the secret sauce." And then another key guy got hurt and they were toothless. Who could have seen that coming? Oh wait, everybody outside of Raleigh did!

Reactions: Spicy Panger

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Canes got what they deserved. Everyone knew they needed to add another scorer after Patches got hurt again. They were like, "Nah, we don't do rentals. We are too smart for that. We have the secret sauce." And then another key guy got hurt and they were toothless. Who could have seen that coming? Oh wait, everybody outside of Raleigh did!
Didn't they lose Svechnikov late as well?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
has anybody said adding him (for kyrou) would have made us worse? some folks have balked at adding parayko or faulk to package, but i don't think anybody on here is questioning that tkachuk would be our best forward. am i missing someone saying that?
Balking at it is still funny. We would have assets to replace that defenseman. Justin Faulk is heavily overrated if people think we couldn’t find a replacement for him. And I like the guy but let’s be real. It took Joel Edmundson and a prospect to land him, he’s not even a true #1 d-man and yet people act like replacing him is so hard. Laughable.

You yourself even said this in a discussion about Clayton Keller the other day when I said he doesn’t really fill a need. You said to essentially acquire good players and figure out the rest later. What’s the difference here?

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
imagine if armstrong would have traded for the hometown kid last summer. you wouldnt have had to deal with kyrou floating all over the ice 82 times a year and scoring only 36 goals/76pt in a season when goal numbers are up. you would have had an actual 40g scorer and 110point producer who is from the same city he now plays in and is good friends with robert thomas. Should have dumped Kyrou, Krug and Barbashev/Tarasenko if needed to make the numbers work. Oh well.

We are retooling now but if that move was made we likely would be on a deep run right now as long as the spare cap was used to plug holes during the season. At the very least, at least we got rid of Mikkola during this pathetic season.

• Haha
Reactions: DoubleK81

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
We weren’t gonna beat Floridas offer of Huberdeau and Weegar. Guess this is what we’re gonna hear all summer isn’t it (plus Petro talk, especially if vegas wins)?
Should be. If the Blues kept Petro and gave whatever Calgary wanted for Tkachuk, they’d be sitting in a pretty good spot right now. Much better than where they currently are.

Reactions: TheDizee

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Should be. If the Blues kept Petro and gave whatever Calgary wanted for Tkachuk, they’d be sitting in a pretty good spot right now. Much better than where they currently are.
I'd take Hubs and Weegar over Kyrou and Parayko. I mean hell send them Thomas and Parayko and we could've beat the Calgary offer

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Balking at it is still funny. We would have assets to replace that defenseman. Justin Faulk is heavily overrated if people think we couldn’t find a replacement for him. And I like the guy but let’s be real. It took Joel Edmundson and a prospect to land him, he’s not even a true #1 d-man and yet people act like replacing him is so hard. Laughable.

You yourself even said this in a discussion about Clayton Keller the other day when I said he doesn’t really fill a need. You said to essentially acquire good players and figure out the rest later. What’s the difference here?
i'm not saying there is one. i would have done whatever needed to add tkachuk.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
I'd take Hubs and Weegar over Kyrou and Parayko. I mean hell send them Thomas and Parayko and we could've beat the Calgary offer
I would have traded Kyrou, Krug and 2 #1's + some extras for Tkachuk. Then you dump Tarasenko to replenish a pick.

Of course, this is all in hindsight now but that move likely lets you keep Barbashev & ROR. Tkachuk would have likely signed at a slightly lower price than he signed for in FLA too. Even if he doesnt, a 9.5 cap hit is easily under the cap if you move out Tarasenko and Krug even with ROR/Barb here.

Reactions: ArenaRat

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Who’s to say that wasn’t offered and Calgary choose to rather have the 100 point winger and the younger/better dman?
Kyrou is better than Huberdeau offensively, he was just coming off a career year. Plus Kyrou is younger.

Florida went all in for MT and they get to reap the rewards now. Our GM has really been a total cuck since the covid lockout. Jbo's freak injury really caused a lot of damage to this franchise and the moves made after that occurred, just like Oscar Taveras death hurt the Cardinals.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
We weren’t gonna beat Floridas offer of Huberdeau and Weegar. Guess this is what we’re gonna hear all summer isn’t it (plus Petro talk, especially if vegas wins)?
At least for now while Tkachuk and Petro are both battling for the Cup (pending results of WCF series) and things are fresh in everyone's mind. and I don't believe the Petro talk will ever fully vanish. But I think starting with the draft and subsequent moves made this summer, the conversation will shift away from the should've, could've, would've to conversations about the progression of the retool.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
At least for now while Tkachuk and Petro are both battling for the Cup (pending results of WCF series) and things are fresh in everyone's mind. and I don't believe the Petro talk will ever fully vanish. But I think starting with the draft and subsequent moves made this summer, the conversation will shift away from the should've, could've, would've to conversations about the progression of the retool.
sure hope so!

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
I just want to pour one out for the lost timeline where we re-sign Pietrangelo, don't lose Dunn in the expansion draft, and somehow trade Kyrou+ for Tkachuk. Pietrangelo and Tkachuk are two of the most impactful players in these playoffs, and the scenario where we have both of them in our lineup this season was not unrealistic.

Lines of Saad-Thomas-Tkachuk and Buchnevich-O'Reilly-Perron with Faulk-Pietrangelo and Dunn-Parayko would I think be possible? But not signing Perron due to the cap is probably more realistic. Woulda been fun to watch...

But yeah. Selling at the deadline, acquiring new picks to add to a prospect crop we'll be watching for the next decade... we really are in the next era. And I doubt we get as big a showcase of the what-ifs as we did this playoffs ever again.

Last edited:

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
good thing we kept -40 +- fortnite boy over trading for tkachuk

imagine if armstrong would have traded for the hometown kid last summer. you wouldnt have had to deal with kyrou floating all over the ice 82 times a year and scoring only 36 goals/76pt in a season when goal numbers are up. you would have had an actual 40g scorer and 110point producer who is from the same city he now plays in and is good friends with robert thomas. Should have dumped Kyrou, Krug and Barbashev/Tarasenko if needed to make the numbers work. Oh well.

We are retooling now but if that move was made we likely would be on a deep run right now as long as the spare cap was used to plug holes during the season. At the very least, at least we got rid of Mikkola during this pathetic season.
I remember when you were talking about how he was a playoff no show just like his dad.

Also so you can't deny it.

As a bonus you also wanted us to get Eichel and not Tkachuk

Why would we trade for a playoff choker when we could have an Eichel because Thomas is a bust?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The Petro talk will die down when he retires…lol

That’s the only way the Pronger-bitching eventually stopped.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
I don't blame Armstrong for not bringing back Creampuff. The problem is losing Jbo as well at the same time and the 2 people they replaced them with are both on bad contracts

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The plan remains for Shanahan to do his due diligence in finding the next GM of the Leafs but it seems former Calgary Flames GM Brad Treliving is the focus this week. Talks between the two are expected to continue well into next week … Blues president and GM Doug Armstrong has always told those close to him that his dream job would be running the Leafs. Yet it seems unlikely he ends up in Toronto for two reasons: the three years remaining on his contract in which he has no out clause; and having to report to someone other than ownership. In St. Louis, Armstrong has total control over the his team and only answers to owner Tom Stillman

Reactions: Brian39

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I think everyone should know the reason we didn't get Tkachuk is because freeing up the necessary salary would have been difficult to impossible considering the NTCs that Krug and Tarasenko had. And everyone knows Petro left because he hates his teammates, St. Louis and Blues fans.

I'm all seriousness, we could play the what if game for eternity. There are 31 other teams competing for the same players and the same prize. I'm sure every team has plenty of things they would do differently with the benefit of hindsight, but at some point you've gotta move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad