Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The rule could be different for goalies, but you either have to play a game in the finals, or 41 on the winning team in the regular season. I don't see Hill giving up the net at all with how he has been playing though.
I'm about 95% sure that being in the lineup sheet as the backup counts toward that requirement for goalies rather than actually playing in the game. If it isn't automatic, it has definitely become the standard.

McElhinney got his name on the Cup in 2020 and 2021 despite playing 0 minutes in the playoffs either year less than 20 games in each regular season.

Grubaeur got his name on the Cup in 2018 despite playing 0 minutes in the Final and 35 games in the regular season.

Fleuryplayed 0 minutes in the Final and 38 games in the regular season in 2017 but has his name on there.

Martin Jones is on there in 2014 despite not playing a second of the Final and playing less than 20 regular season games.

Ray Emery is on there in 2013 despite not playing a second in the playoffs and playing less than 20 regular season games (although this was a 48 game shortened season).

Bernier is on there in 2012 despite playing 0 playoff minutes and just 16 regular season games.

I'm not going to go any further back, but that's every instance of a backup goalie not meeting the games requirement if they go by actual appearances in the net over the last decade. Even if it isn't automatic, it is very much the norm that the guy serving as the backup in the Final gets his name on the Cup.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
all 4 games were close, i personally don't see the big deal in what he said. reminds me of 2009 series vs canucks where 3 of our 4 losses in the sweept came by 1 goal and the other game was a 1-0 game until late.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
The team can petition to have a players name added. I believe we did that with Del Zotto

I think Del Zotto actually made the requirement for some odd reason if I remember right. I thought he actually played 41 or 42 games that season (granted not all with the Blues). I'll have to look it up and see for sure.

He played with 3 different teams that year.

EDIT: He did make the requirement for the cup of 41 games.

23 with Canucks
12 with Ducks
7 with Blues

42 games played that season.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I think Del Zotto actually made the requirement for some odd reason if I remember right. I thought he actually played 41 or 42 games that season (granted not all with the Blues). I'll have to look it up and see for sure.

23 with Canucks
12 with Ducks
7 with Blues

Del Zotto is definitely on the Cup. Good for him!

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I'm about 95% sure that being in the lineup sheet as the backup counts toward that requirement for goalies rather than actually playing in the game. If it isn't automatic, it has definitely become the standard.

McElhinney got his name on the Cup in 2020 and 2021 despite playing 0 minutes in the playoffs either year less than 20 games in each regular season.

Grubaeur got his name on the Cup in 2018 despite playing 0 minutes in the Final and 35 games in the regular season.

Fleuryplayed 0 minutes in the Final and 38 games in the regular season in 2017 but has his name on there.

Martin Jones is on there in 2014 despite not playing a second of the Final and playing less than 20 regular season games.

Ray Emery is on there in 2013 despite not playing a second in the playoffs and playing less than 20 regular season games (although this was a 48 game shortened season).

Bernier is on there in 2012 despite playing 0 playoff minutes and just 16 regular season games.

I'm not going to go any further back, but that's every instance of a backup goalie not meeting the games requirement if they go by actual appearances in the net over the last decade. Even if it isn't automatic, it is very much the norm that the guy serving as the backup in the Final gets his name on the Cup.

Good points but I'd imagine Brossoit gets his name on before Quick considering he actually played playoff games. Maybe all 3 will get their names on there, who knows. Hopefully we don't find out. Go Panthers!

Reactions: Brian39 and Brockon

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I genuinely don't understand how writers can botch such a major point of this story. The balance of power between Dubas and Shanny was heavily discussed as a contributing factor Dubas and the Leafs parting ways. The fact that Dubas was GM and Shanny is President of Hockey Operations was a well-known, reported story line.

How the hell are we ignoring that Army is the President of Hockey Operations and GM just a handful of days later? I'm not saying that there is no chance Army is interested in the position or that there is zero chance that he could leave. I think it is unlikely, but I won't go as far as accusing reporters of just making things up.

But in an article about the hurdles of him going to Toronto, how the hell is it being reported that it would be a lateral GM to GM move? It would be a demotion. He would go from leading the hockey department and reporting directly to the owner to being the #2 in the hockey department and reporting to the #1 who then reports directly to ownership. Come on.

Edit: and the other article talking about how Army's dream job would be running the Leafs. That's great. That job is not available at the moment. Brendan Shanahan is the man running the Leafs. That would be Army's dream job. And conveniently enough for him, that job very well might become available as his Blues contract expires depending on how the next couple years shake out for the Leafs.

Shanny seems to be shit at life after hockey. He sucked as DOPS and not as the leafs what ever the f*** he is. Dubas was a shit hire from the get go.

Good points but I'd imagine Brossoit gets his name on before Quick considering he actually played playoff games. Maybe all 3 will get their names on there, who knows. Hopefully we don't find out. Go Panthers!

If they win, god I hope they don't but if they do Quick is definitely getting his name on the cup.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015

23 with Canucks
12 with Ducks
7 with Blues

That 41 game requirement is with the winning team(an alternate requirement is one game in the finals), so the Blues needed to petition to get MDZ's name on the cup.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Shanny seems to be shit at life after hockey. He sucked as DOPS and not as the leafs what ever the f*** he is. Dubas was a shit hire from the get go.
Outside of his playing career Shanny seems like a complete piece of shit. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone talk about what a great dude he is. Not teammates, not taking heads…certainly not Craig Janney. Given the choice of Army or The Shanaplan, if I were MLSE I’d fire the HOF- player in a second and turn the Leafs over to a real pro who is probably on the midst of a HOF-Executive career.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Looking at the Maple Leafs' Capfriendly page is saddening.

The FA outlook for them is bleak with such lopsided cap management. Would love to know how much of this is Shamahan's doing.

For years now, I've pointed out that the Blues are one of the only teams to not have anyone of significance between DA and Stillman, but the point was simply lost on most people here.

Now, because of the Dubie/Sham debacle, are we visiting this issue for the Blues. I've read some debate here about the pros and cons of having checks and balances, so at least we are starting to actually discuss a potentially real problem.

Last edited:

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Happy for him but he will likely get an ugly contract from some team this Summer.
Or, in a crazy twist, he takes that next step and cements himself as a sure fire too 6, puts up lots of points with Eichel (or another legit center), and half this board bitches for years how Army is an idiot for not knowing this would happen.

• Haha
Reactions: Spicy Panger

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Or, in a crazy twist, he takes that next step and cements himself as a sure fire too 6, puts up lots of points with Eichel (or another legit center), and half this board bitches for years how Army is an idiot for not knowing this would happen.
Half this board will bitch about army is an idiot regardless of what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad