Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
They're probably looking to sign with a team where they wouldn't be 12th+ in the defensive depth chart.

There's probably a near a zero probability that they ever get considered for a callup here.
DeSimone really caught a bad break ending up here. He is not far from a decent NHL player and he has so many guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Would like to flip him for an AHL veteran C.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
They're probably looking to sign with a team where they wouldn't be 12th+ in the defensive depth chart.

There's probably a near a zero probability that they ever get considered for a callup here.
Possibly, but I doubt Welinski cares about what number he holds in the depth chart. He is desperate for a contract any where he can get it.

The guy has played 46 games in the NHL in his 9-yr pro career and none since 2020-21. After burning off the 3 yrs of his Anaheim ELC and 1 more extra season almost all in AHL San Diego, he has played for 6 AHL teams.

He is an AHL lifer at this point. No one will consider him for an NHL spot or a 2-way NHL deal. I bet he'd be happy with an AHL contract at this point.

At 27 Zboril has played 76 NHL games/16Pts and 228 AHL games/70Pts in his 7 professional seasons. So I'd guess he thinks he can get a deal with someone. He was associated with Boston for 6 of those seasons and last year while playing for Providence they traded him to Columbus, who in turn assigned him to AHL Cleveland. Columbus didn't offer him a deal and that's how he ended up in NJ on a PTO. He is scratching to keep his career alive as well.

If no one comes knocking, on of them may yet sign an AHL deal with Utica. I'm not counting on it and i don't really care. The Comets have their 5 VET players by AHL rules anyways. If one of them signed he would be #6 and someone would have to sit out because only 5 can play in any game.

DeSimone really caught a bad break ending up here. He is not far from a decent NHL player and he has so many guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Would like to flip him for an AHL veteran C.
Wouldn't argue if it happened. However, Chase DeLeo is available for free as Barys of the KHL has placed him on waivers. He would fill that slot even if his preferred position is LW. He played both for Utica back in the 21-22 season when he recorded 56 PTs in 55 GP.

They could have them both if the Devils wanted to do it.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Possibly, but I doubt Welinski cares about what number he holds in the depth chart. He is desperate for a contract any where he can get it.

The guy has played 46 games in the NHL in his 9-yr pro career and none since 2020-21. After burning off the 3 yrs of his Anaheim ELC and 1 more extra season almost all in AHL San Diego, he has played for 6 AHL teams.

He is an AHL lifer at this point. No one will consider him for an NHL spot or a 2-way NHL deal. I bet he'd be happy with an AHL contract at this point.

At 27 Zboril has played 76 NHL games/16Pts and 228 AHL games/70Pts in his 7 professional seasons. So I'd guess he thinks he can get a deal with someone. He was associated with Boston for 6 of those seasons and last year while playing for Providence they traded him to Columbus, who in turn assigned him to AHL Cleveland. Columbus didn't offer him a deal and that's how he ended up in NJ on a PTO. He is scratching to keep his career alive as well.

If no one comes knocking, on of them may yet sign an AHL deal with Utica. I'm not counting on it and i don't really care. The Comets have their 5 VET players by AHL rules anyways. If one of them signed he would be #6 and someone would have to sit out because only 5 can play in any game.

Wouldn't argue if it happened. However, Chase DeLeo is available for free as Barys of the KHL has placed him on waivers. He would fill that slot even if his preferred position is LW. He played both for Utica back in the 21-22 season when he recorded 56 PTs in 55 GP.

They could have them both if the Devils wanted to do it.

If he was released by Barys, it is likely he is no longer the player he was when he was with the Devils. He played just 22 games two years ago due to a serious injury and had no points in eight games in the KHL.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Anyone who has a pro scout worth anything should be clamoring for their GM to make that trade. He was pretty good for us late last year with the blue line decimated. And yeah I wouldn't be opposed to flipping him for a C

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Correct on all counts. It still rankles me to have kovalchuk on our cap. It’s only 250k and this is it - but he came back to the league. It should have ended the moment they let him back.
The entire "punishment" never should've happened in the first place but yeah, we shouldn't have had to pay that for so long. You shouldn't be punished for "violating the spirit" of something.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The entire "punishment" never should've happened in the first place but yeah, we shouldn't have had to pay that for so long. You shouldn't be punished for "violating the spirit" of something.

One of the most asinine things ever, and one in a long line of transparent showings of the leagues biases.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Devils have not had to pay a single cent as punishment on the Kovalchuk contract since the initial fine in 2010 (for the one that was rejected). The 'penalty' (it's not a penalty) is just to make escrow right. It really hasn't mattered since 2014-15 until maybe the last two years.

Glad these are going away in general, Weber's contract is the last one.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Bad break???

The Devils saved DeSimone last year from ending back up in the AHL where his salary would've dropped from $775K to $325K. He got paid to quite a few weeks just to practice with the club and had a good enough showing in limited games (11 total) down the stretch to earn a guaranteed $775K contract this season regardless of where he plays.

He could've gone to UFA this past summer and signed elsewhere if he wanted. Teams could've scooped him up off waivers the other day if there was a spot for him in the NHL. At the time of his signing we still had Hamilton-Marino-Nemec on the right side, so he knew he was competing for the 7th spot at best.

Yeah, it probably sucks for him that Casey surpassed him on the depth chart, but he always had to know that was a possibility that NJ's top prospect that just turned pro and plays the same position might surpass him. Maybe he didn't know NJ would be so aggressive to revamp the defense as well, but given the weakness last season that's hardly a surprise.

His contract is a win-win for the player and team. He gets a guaranteed NHL salary and the Devils get some defensive depth in the system.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
No youre right

Whats serious is getting Meier off of Jack's line and onto Nico's, Palat onto Jack's, and getting Pesce and Luke back

Devils got two wins versus Buffalo - they better clean up before we play real teams, and starting with the line changes we can make is the move

Keefe probably gives it until their first or second loss; since thats clearly what Fitz and co. were going for (the Tatar-Hischier-Mercer line).

Unless youre spreading out Jack Jesper and Timo across the third line, it wont work
Aren’t you one of the posters who thought the preseason was a major red flag we should worry about? Lol

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Bad break???

The Devils saved DeSimone last year from ending back up in the AHL where his salary would've dropped from $775K to $325K. He got paid to quite a few weeks just to practice with the club and had a good enough showing in limited games (11 total) down the stretch to earn a guaranteed $775K contract this season regardless of where he plays.

He could've gone to UFA this past summer and signed elsewhere if he wanted. Teams could've scooped him up off waivers the other day if there was a spot for him in the NHL. At the time of his signing we still had Hamilton-Marino-Nemec on the right side, so he knew he was competing for the 7th spot at best.

Yeah, it probably sucks for him that Casey surpassed him on the depth chart, but he always had to know that was a possibility that NJ's top prospect that just turned pro and plays the same position might surpass him. Maybe he didn't know NJ would be so aggressive to revamp the defense as well, but given the weakness last season that's hardly a surprise.

His contract is a win-win for the player and team. He gets a guaranteed NHL salary and the Devils get some defensive depth in the system.
The contract is fine for him, and yeah it’s not really a “break” considering he willingly signed the deal. But his chances of playing in the NHL for us is basically nil barring an unbelievable number of injuries. Guy is an approaching 30, so being an NHLer needs to happen soon or it isn’t happening.

It’s just unfortunate because there must be a number of teams where he’s a number 7 or at least no worse than a first call up.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Aren’t you one of the posters who thought the preseason was a major red flag we should worry about? Lol
he’s very clearly the kind of poster who would prefer the team be bad just so he can be right. these types have come and gone as long as i’ve been boarding here and it’s always gonna be a thing. best to ignore it for the most part even though it’s fun to argue and pile on sometimes

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The contract is fine for him, and yeah it’s not really a “break” considering he willingly signed the deal. But his chances of playing in the NHL for us is basically nil barring an unbelievable number of injuries. Guy is an approaching 30, so being an NHLer needs to happen soon or it isn’t happening.

It’s just unfortunate because there must be a number of teams where he’s a number 7 or at least no worse than a first call up.

Yeah, I could certainly see him being higher up in the depth chart on several other teams. If he were a #7 anywhere else though, he would've just been claimed on waivers.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
he’s very clearly the kind of poster who would prefer the team be bad just so he can be right. these types have come and gone as long as i’ve been boarding here and it’s always gonna be a thing. best to ignore it for the most part even though it’s fun to argue and pile on sometimes
I’ve done my fair share of posting here that people have labeled it negative. I have no problem with people pointing out the negative or the flaws of the team and calling it like it is when it can be back. But drawing conclusions from the preseason and prognosticating disaster from it completely ridiculous. Then the team starts the season on the road in a different continent as well as you could probably hope for you still somehow find a way to spin it as if it hasn’t gone well? GTFOH

Reactions: HBK27

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I have to say, the ignore feature is kind of amusing when you see multiple people seemingly going off on a tangent and then you realize which poster you can't see sent them on it. I should have used it before.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad