Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
They're probably looking to sign with a team where they wouldn't be 12th+ in the defensive depth chart.

There's probably a near a zero probability that they ever get considered for a callup here.
DeSimone really caught a bad break ending up here. He is not far from a decent NHL player and he has so many guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Would like to flip him for an AHL veteran C.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
DeSimone really caught a bad break ending up here. He is not far from a decent NHL player and he has so many guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Would like to flip him for an AHL veteran C.

Him being 6th RD down on the depth chart is really just hilarious for everyone besides DeSimone.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
They're probably looking to sign with a team where they wouldn't be 12th+ in the defensive depth chart.

There's probably a near a zero probability that they ever get considered for a callup here.
Possibly, but I doubt Welinski cares about what number he holds in the depth chart. He is desperate for a contract any where he can get it.

The guy has played 46 games in the NHL in his 9-yr pro career and none since 2020-21. After burning off the 3 yrs of his Anaheim ELC and 1 more extra season almost all in AHL San Diego, he has played for 6 AHL teams.

He is an AHL lifer at this point. No one will consider him for an NHL spot or a 2-way NHL deal. I bet he'd be happy with an AHL contract at this point.

At 27 Zboril has played 76 NHL games/16Pts and 228 AHL games/70Pts in his 7 professional seasons. So I'd guess he thinks he can get a deal with someone. He was associated with Boston for 6 of those seasons and last year while playing for Providence they traded him to Columbus, who in turn assigned him to AHL Cleveland. Columbus didn't offer him a deal and that's how he ended up in NJ on a PTO. He is scratching to keep his career alive as well.

If no one comes knocking, on of them may yet sign an AHL deal with Utica. I'm not counting on it and i don't really care. The Comets have their 5 VET players by AHL rules anyways. If one of them signed he would be #6 and someone would have to sit out because only 5 can play in any game.

Wouldn't argue if it happened. However, Chase DeLeo is available for free as Barys of the KHL has placed him on waivers. He would fill that slot even if his preferred position is LW. He played both for Utica back in the 21-22 season when he recorded 56 PTs in 55 GP.

They could have them both if the Devils wanted to do it.

Last edited:

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->