Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik is in the process of selling his majority share of the team, according to Eduardo A. Encina of the Tampa Bay Times. Sportsnet reported that co-founder and CEO of investment firm Blue Owl Capital, Doug Ostrover is believed to be the buyer. According to Sportsnet, Vinik bought the Lightning in 2010 for a reported $170 million
New owner will relocate them to Arizona :sarcasm:

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Pssst.

I know a guy who might do that "execute" thing for you for a cool 8.7 mill or less*!
He's a jive talking mofo with a pimp hand that delivers nasty clappers faster than 1984 Van Halen to a run of Columbian Marching Powder.

Disclaimer: Not trying to revive this topic at all, just he was the first thing that popped in my head when you were talking about needing someone to execute, it is one thing he does really well.
View attachment 900921
He should be executed for wearing those clothes.

Also, Canadian MSM is hooped. AM just made the national news for being named captain.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
We will see how it plays out, but Arniel's interview today focused on revamping special teams, so I'm far less inclined on putting it on any 1 player. Especially in light that the PP gets even worse when he wasn't in the lineup, with no change in the setup.
It's not all on 55 - but he's the big pce out there that has the ability to make things happen,
He's also the type of player that will adjust the plan if he feels there are problems with what they are attempting - he's not afraid of ruffling coach feathers if he sees a need (or change) - assuming the coaches are asking for what we see.
I'm not suggesting he should be pulled off he PP - I just want to see some movement out of him - and I don't believe for a minute that coaching has been asking for a stagnant PP.

I hope Arniel gets this sorted out -

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree with @LowLefty on this. We've had a static pp and it's been an issue since Maurice. So that means two assistant coaches have had their hand at it. The main constants have been Mark, KC, and JoMo operating the three outside spots on the umbrella.

The only thing we have seen the last four years is a change in who's playing the bumper and down low positions.

For me I think they need to make fundamental changes to who and how the hb players operate.

Neither Scheifele or KC should be safe in their roles. Both can play other spots on the pp and it should he investigated.

I'm not sure it is even about personnel. It is the system. If there isn't a lot of movement in the system then that is what needs to change. If the players insist on remaining static, THEN it is the players.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pssst.

I know a guy who might do that "execute" thing for you for a cool 8.7 mill or less*!
He's a jive talking mofo with a pimp hand that delivers nasty clappers faster than 1984 Van Halen to a run of Columbian Marching Powder.

Disclaimer: Not trying to revive this topic at all, just he was the first thing that popped in my head when you were talking about needing someone to execute, it is one thing he does really well.
View attachment 900921

Closest thing I've seen to a zoot suit since 1940's movies. :laugh:

Supposedly played with a sports hernia all last year

Sports hernia at his age is career ending.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not sure it is even about personnel. It is the system. If there isn't a lot of movement in the system then that is what needs to change. If the players insist on remaining static, THEN it is the players.
The evidence would tend to support the system argument, as even when certain players were out of the lineup the PP stayed the same static system. To me this suggests coaching far more than player.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Fascinating following the Tampa Bay Lightning valuation and possible sale process. Needless to say $2 Billion (speculation) is a game changer for the NHL.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Haha funny story: I saw the eye popping 2B valuation for the Lightning, and then the next story in my feed was "Bucs owner rejected 6B offer for the team"

Crazy.

Very much a changing landscape in all professional sports.

Reactions: Jet and voyageur

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I just about puked yesterday when I launched the Sportsnet app on my phone and saw about 5 top stories on the captain change for the Leafs. They’d make Mathew’s changing over from 2 ply to 3 ply toilet paper a top story given the chance.
He doesn't need toilet paper he's got Leaf jersey's. :naughty:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Somebody needs to explain to me at this point why these owners need any kind of taxpayer subsidies? Including TNSE.
In short, it's because without subsidies, TNSE wouldn't be profitable (or at least not as profitable)

If they aren't profitable, they'd leave

If they leave, they take all the tax revenue they generate with them

It's an example of the government spending money to make money

Whatever subsidies the govt gives TNSE will be less than the tax revenue that is generated so the govt still comes out ahead

What I don't understand is that a lot of these franchises worth hundreds of millions of dollars AREN'T profitable. So where's the value coming from?

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
In short, it's because without subsidies, TNSE wouldn't be profitable (or at least not as profitable)

Whatever subsidies the govt gives TNSE will be less than the tax revenue that is generated so the govt still comes out ahead

What I don't understand is that a lot of these franchises worth hundreds of millions of dollars AREN'T profitable. So where's the value coming from?
Oh I know all the arguments made believe you me. But with values going through the roof it seems to that it's a little rich asking for tax support other than infrastructure while the value of franchise has grown vastly.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Oh I know all the arguments made believe you me. But with values going through the roof it seems to that it's a little rich asking for tax support other than infrastructure while the value of franchise has grown vastly.

The one answer that matters is that without the subsidy they will go somewhere else where they can make more money. Very simple. That is the only argument that matters.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Let's be honest, this isn't just pro sports. A good many big businesses in this country get subsidies in one form or another. It's the only way we can attract them. Otherwise they'd just go to countries with cheaper labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad